Digital Starbound Resource Compilation and Guide

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by .jpeg, Jun 28, 2017.

1. .jpeg

.jpeg Seal Broken

My name is .jpeg, I’m a writer, architect, and graphics designer. This is my Starbound Forum Resource thread. This differs from the thread that Ghostar has made, because instead of helping with spritework, this consists of what to do with forum threads and format. I will be updating this regularly. Here today I will be presenting a large compilation of Starbound themed graphics for use in threads and in potential other cases. With thread format there are unlimited possibilities. To list a few, it can be used for:
    • Dividing a thread into different sections.
    • Creating eyecandy for intrigue.
    • Thematically configuring your thread.
    • Displaying creations in a user-friendly manner.
    Below will be different images displayed in spoilers. These are for open use, but make sure you credit the original creator somewhere in the thread or post. To add, if you fancy contributing to this thread, just create a PM with myself, or create a post in the thread. The ‘give credit where credit is due’ rule applies to other members’ creations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If anyone has other ideas for graphics that could be made for the Chucklefish forums, then do let me know so I can start on it and have other members contribute towards it. Now I will present you with a little guide in the next post in case you’d like to have a go at this yourself.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Mega flapper and Realmseeker like this.
  2. .jpeg

.jpeg Seal Broken

This guide will show you how I create the Starbound graphics, and how you can do it too. In this tutorial I have used Paint.net which is a free software. This will work on any software, but the buttons may be in different areas and there might be a different manner of doing everything.

[​IMG]

Step 1) Setting it up.

Here I have created a makeshift studio as a demonstration. Very ugly, very snowy. But that’s not why we’re here. I have marked the area of this divider with Red Toy Blocks because they are in complete contrast with most blocks and facilitate the transparency stage. Take note of the one block margin that I’ve created around the tallest blocks. This is just general procedure, and makes life a lot easier when it comes to software editing. Make sure to light up every angle for consistent lighting. The best way to do this is by using Fluorescent Lights.

[​IMG]

You’ll want to screenshot the build you’ve made by using the Alt + Z shorcut which removes the in-game GUI. Then, press the Print Screen Button. You will then want to open up Paint.net or any other photo ediitng software and use the Paste Button. The screenshot will be automatically pasted into your canvas.

Next up, crop a quick estimate of the build’s size and using the Crop to Selection button underneath the ‘Image’ tab.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 2) Transparency.

To start the Transparency, go to the toolbar and select the Magic Wand tool.

[​IMG]

Then, select the red wall block, or whatever other block you may intend to choose.

[​IMG]

You’ll have to then use the ‘Cut’ tool, which is normally a scissors icon. This creates a transparent area around the image, which will create the illusion that the build itself is inside the thread, I guess. Having done this, check for any random bits that didn’t get cut out using the Magic Wand tool. Here is an example of places that didn’t work with the transparency. You’ll have to manually cut these out.

[​IMG]

Make sure to play around with the Tolerance bar to ensure you don’t cut out the actual build and only the walls behind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 3) Finalization and Publication.

Once you’re sure everything is transparent in the background, crop the image so that the image border is touching the tallest object in every angle.

[​IMG]

You can then go ahead and Crop to Selection and this is what the result will look like, using any image uploading website. I prefer using Google Photos or imgur.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Realmseeker likes this.
  3. Realmseeker

Realmseeker Seal Broken

I really love this. The idea itself is unique in that it can be used in most threads and is useful for formatting and rendering walls of texts pretty. Not only did you create some nice and kinda randomized dividers, you created some small simple ones too. Last of all, you didn't keep it to yourself, and made a well described guide on how to make our own ones, so the creation potential is limitless. Keep up the awesome work, can't wait to see updates.

EDIT: If I plan on making a thread that requires formatting, I'll be sure to try these out!

.jpeg likes this.
  4. .jpeg

.jpeg Seal Broken

Thank you so much for the support, and for the follow as well. I'm glad you enjoyed my thread. The haphazard design of the dividers; or as you put it, "randomized"; is a part of my building style. Sometimes I like to use organization but most of the time you can create something beautiful by changing the rules up a little.

Realmseeker likes this.
  5. Realmseeker

Realmseeker Seal Broken

I definitely prefer this style over bleak and overused styles. It adds more creativity and a unique look for sure.

.jpeg likes this.
  6. .jpeg

.jpeg Seal Broken

If you have any ideas of different graphic categories I could create; as in, bullet points, dividers, etc; please let me know. And if you're up for contributing to the thread, that would be very nice of you. Thanks for your kind words.

Realmseeker likes this.
  7. Realmseeker

Realmseeker Seal Broken

Perhaps footers (bottom of the thread) and headers (top of the thread)? You could even build titles in Starbound for people's threads.

8. .jpeg

.jpeg Seal Broken

Thread Update No. 1:

Format has been updated and BBcode corrected in every instance. The introduction of Footers, a new type of graphic, is upcoming. We also have a new type of graphic available in 'Requests'. I created a signature for Realmseeker, which was very time consuming. I'm not sure if I'll do more but they have their own section for the meantime anyway.

[​IMG]

Realmseeker likes this.
  9. Realmseeker

Realmseeker Seal Broken

It looks so great, exactly what I pictured! This guy is a genius.

10. .jpeg

.jpeg Seal Broken

I will be introducing headers and footers into the thread, and add some more graphics to various categories in the next update.