1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Race Relations

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ZodGilla, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Cloudhopper

Cloudhopper Weight of the Sky

Greenfinger's notes explain this behavior as a ruse to cause visitors to lower their guards.
    My cocoonkin think that it's a quite effective strategy.

2. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

Well then I'll just have to 'sssstab sssstab' the 'friendly' Floran living on my planet near my USCM bunker.

3. I'm fairly sure that was Hiraki Corale, that adventorous Hylotl explorer. It was corroborated in one of her codices (in the following one she steals vital spacecraft parts).

4. Mikhaos

Mikhaos Pangalactic Porcupine

I concur.

Codex: Bunker Busters
    p.1 by Hiraki Corale, Hylotl adventurer My ship crash-landed on a planet. I may have been fleeing a certain simian species at the time, and decided the best course of action was to lure them into an asteroid field. It worked! Of course, I have no experience navigating through asteroid fields so here I am.

p.2 I found a group of humans in a hole in the ground. Not the creepy kind of hole, some kind of military bunker. I thought I'd drop in, regale them with tales of some of my adventures, but no, they were having none of it. Wouldn't even let me in. Shocking hospitality! In the end I borrowed one of their spaceships for spare parts, and left them to it.

Codex: USCM Personnel Log 54126 and 58991
    p.1 Received communication for the first time in years. Wasn't Earth, but someone claiming to be a Hylotl, saying they were outside our door and it was really cold outside. Not falling for that one. Ignored it.

p.2 Still confused how they knew our transmission frequency.

Some unseen antagonist has sabotaged our only working space craft. The others suspect our superior officer, who seems pretty content to be trapped on this planet. He sits there staring at his charts, trying to give the impression he knows what to do. He doesn't.

nababoo and Hawk Novablast like this.
  5. Uxt

Uxt Star Wrangler

I played a Floran knowing they were going to be the less-liked of most races, so if/when the game comes around to the point of factions/quests improving relations to other races, I'd dive immediately into it.

As a player of EverQuest back in the old days, faction meant survival. If an entire city/people didn't tolerate you, you rarely hung around there because if you died, it was a long run back to get your stuff. Same with villages in Minecraft, you get them to like you so you benefit from trading and such.

Looking forward to diving down in an ocean biome and frolicking amongst some Hylotl folk.

6. Keyondria

Keyondria Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Floran think thisss chart full of liesss. Metal men friendsss of Floran, Fishface enemy of Floran. Other ssspecies jussst food for Floran. Floran no feelingsss for Apex, Avian or human one way or other.

TheFloranChef likes this.
  7. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm glad Keyondria bump this thread up. I'm all up on this kind of thing.

I think Darthkitten made a good point. If you want something more complex then you should do a round robin kind of format.

[​IMG]

So in Darth kitten example you could put that Floran like Glitch but Glitch feel disgusted by Floran at the same time. I'm not in the mood to do it right now but I might feel out the excel sheet at some other time if no one beat me to it first. It may also be worth pointing out the same race relationship as for example Glitches that break out of their programming is seen as crazy and Avian have a "grounded" group that dislike the religious group.

8. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Even though the flag represents all glitch collectively, aren't the glitch decentralized?

9. Kilowolf

Kilowolf Big Damn Hero

Humans seem to be friendly or at least not hostile with the other races since they are the ones hosting the Protectorate and all races seem to be represented aside from the Novakid who seem to be overlooked by the other races entirely. While even your Novakid characters will seem to start in the protectorate there is no flag flying for them and even the monolith gate only has 6 keys(maybe just for now). The glitch are super divided among them selves with the "true" glitch being slightly technophobic if I remember correctly. So likely other races contact with the glitch would be troubled at best most likely staying neutral to friendly, and most likely the only real contact with them would be their outcast groups that have been exiled from their society. Florans seem to hate the Hylotl because of a war and seemingly really liking the taste of fish or something like that. They are amazed by the Glitch being the only thing they can not eat and are neutral with the others simply hunting them on occasion.

I am unsure about the Avians, Apex, and Hylotl other then the things above.

10. HunterC1998

HunterC1998 Cosmos Killer

I would kind of like to see some backstory on the Novakid, ( There aren't many games where you can be an interstellar cowboy) I could see tension with Humans with the quick dismissal of ideas and any form of perfection, avians for not so subtlety, and maybe slight issues with hylotl for the lack of artistic work.

11. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

The relations between humans to apex and humans to avian need to be made green, as both races seem to have fetishes for smooth skin and manes. As I may not have heard of any conflicts between florans and avians, and not enough information to determine if apex hate the florans as well, but keep florans to humans red as it has been described in the in game texts that both races have fought for territory before.

12. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Maybe the Novakid are not listed in the Aincients' prophecy because they are not the Ancient's children?

13. HunterC1998

HunterC1998 Cosmos Killer

Just maybe....

14. dareddevil7

dareddevil7 Pangalactic Porcupine

My headcanon is that the Novakids used their powers of being made of a star to build the gate, and after that promptly forget about it and go off to do something else like bungee jumping into black holes.

Jandroan and Sh4dowWalker96 like this.
  15. Jandroan

Jandroan Subatomic Cosmonaut

Bungee jumping into black holes sounds like a novakid alright, the other stuff is possible, but we cant see for sure yet. After all, why are novakids on the ARC gate yet they don't have a relic? And how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsiepop? THE WORLD MAY NEVER KNOW!

16. Jandroan

Race relations according to my opinion are as follows
    • Avians Like the glitch and humans. Glitch due to an alliance after first contact, humans seem to have close friendships with avians. Ex: human sarcophagi
    • Avians dislike the florans due to their past wars resulting from the accidental obtaining of FTL tech from an avian ship.
    • Florans like the glitch due to a common curiosity they share for eachother.
    • Florans HATE the hylotl for obvious reasons involving past wars.
    • Hylotl Like all the other races except florans, being missionaries who want to uplift the "lesser races"
    • Hylotl HATE the florans for driving them out of their home planet.
    • Glitch like the florans and the avians, both for above reasons.
    • While the miniknog have positive relations with the florans and avians, the apex people in general seem to be unbiased.
    • Humans overall seem neutral to the other races, however, it should be noted that all races have a dislike for hylotl culture, thinking them snobbish and stuck up.

Wingidon likes this.
  17. dareddevil7

dareddevil7 Pangalactic Porcupine

Well given novakid's tendency to not write stuff down, why would you ever give them something that important?

Jandroan and Wingidon like this.
  18. Jandroan

good point

19. Peppersnap

Peppersnap Big Damn Hero

peppu make map!
    helpful map!

20. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Very nice! But.... Are you not missing someone?

Peppersnap likes this.