1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Race Relations

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ZodGilla, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Well, I think it doesn't really work all that well.
    Some races can like others, but the race they like doesn't exactly like them back.
    For example, the Florans really like the Glitch, but the Glitch are kind of disgusted by them.

2. cuddlepums

cuddlepums Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Florans eating other races does not mean they hate everyone, there neutral to everyone when I encounter there villages there quite friendly unless your a hylotl of course, the guards only say they will eat you if you do something bad to there village.

3. JeremyFace22

JeremyFace22 Space Hobo

i am glitch and for some reason the humans attacked me :(

4. Erick648

Erick648 Pangalactic Porcupine

Also Glitch characters are the one race (other than Florans) to have a negative response to the Hylotyl flag ("Derision. A Hylotl flag. "). And while the Hylotyl are negative about everyone's flag, their description of the Glitch flag is particularly insulting.

And of course, none of this extends to how NPCs treat PCs. Whether they're aggressive depends solely on what type of individuals they are (e.g. bandits/cultists/inmates vs. civilians), and on whether you have a weapon drawn. The only difference your race makes is what lines they'll say when "friendly."

I should add that one of the lorebooks you can find indicates that there's an alliance between the Apex and Avian governments, although this seems to be secretive and wouldn't affect the attitudes of individual Apex and Avians.

5. The Epic Alligator

The Epic Alligator Intergalactic Tourist

On my experience the glitch seem to be hostile to avains

6. Pseudo Unicorn

Pseudo Unicorn Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've always been very curious about species relations in Starbound and how they interact.

Because as far as I've seen, they really don't, save for the Player Characters. Settlements and dungeons, as far as I've seen, are always purely composed of one species.

I'm hoping to see, as the game develops further, mixed peaceful settlements or like, corporations of independent Glitches/business minded humans and Apex, for example. Maybe even groups attempting at a United Space Council or something of the sort (Probably headed by a Hyotl!). It's a little weird how you have five developed races, all with FTL tech, and no attempts to do anything but engage in small skirmishes.

Viriato and Tamorr like this.
  7. Erick648

Erick648 Pangalactic Porcupine

To add to the Floran-Glitch connection, the dialogue for the Geometric Screen indicates that Florans have the instinctive ability to read binary. Most of the races say the text on the screen is gibberish, but the Floran and Glitch PCs say this:

Floran: Floran read words good. Sssay 'ssstab a meatman.' Huh.

Glitch: Analysis. This display appears to read 'stab a meatman' in binary. How unusual.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    Viriato, Cloudhopper, ogboot and 3 others like this.
  8. CactiBg

CactiBg Space Hobo

Wait wait wait wait wait glitches are robots, right? Robots=new, right? Then why their castles are medieval? Even the mech is medieval? Whyyyyyy?

9. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

You must be new here.

10. MrLevi

MrLevi Phantasmal Quasar

Floran and Avians get along great. Whenever my Floran visits their villages they can't stop complimenting him on his sexy accent. One Avian even told me her Grandfather was a Floran.

Viriato likes this.
  11. Heartstrings

Heartstrings Giant Laser Beams

I agree with @Dynafols. You're new here, aren't you? The Glitch are an enormous experiment by a long-forgotten alien race to simulate society. They broke somewhere down the line and got stuck in the medieval ages.

12. Platysaur

Platysaur Big Damn Hero

The Glich were the first "aliens" the Avian's discovered and held strong ties with them, and if I'm not mistaken they still do.

13. Nohar

Nohar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Your topic reminds me a little of one I did a long time ago, when I tried to pinpoint the "alignment" of the races and the relationships between them. Anyhow, it's nice to have fellow players taking a look at the lore and trying to determine how each race feel toward the other.

It's been a while since I followed Starbound's progress. Did we have more lore revealed to us? Also, which wiki do you advise me to follow/use? (Sorry: like I said, it's been a while).

Also: Floran can instinctively read binary langage? That's interesting.

14. CactiBg

CactiBg Space Hobo

Oh.

15. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

We have not been provided with much more lore, just codexes for the bosses.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/starbound-lore.45322/

As for relations, this is my take based on the lore:
    Florans and Glitch are friendly, this is a two way street. Glitch missionaries are known to try to educate florans (treeio florstab) and Greenfinger actively helps the outcasts. Further, floran artwork depicts a glitch partaking in a meal of Hylotl stew with another floran. (Probably didn't actually eat the Hylotl, but was still good company while the Hylotl was being cooked.)
    Only the Hylotls and Florans really hate each other, due to their war in the past, but other races are just mesmerized and fearful of the florans. Florans don't hate many races, they are just really easily offended, and have anger management issues.

There doesn't seem to be much of a strong friendship elsewhere in the lore, the floran-glitch being the strongest frienship displayed. Big Ape does have a lot of communications with Thornwing, but that's it, he also communicates with Greenfinger. It should be noted though, that Thornwing is a rogue Avian as far as I can tell. The clipped council are the government of the avians.

There also doesn't seem to be much strong hatred among the races, except for maybe the apex who look down on florans and hylotls I believe. (But this goes into npc speech and out of the codex lore which is my area of expertise). But that isn't indicitive of hostile relationships, just a dislike towards.

As for humans, they are hostile to everyone because the USCM have orders to not let anyone in.

16. CactiBg

CactiBg Space Hobo

I actually visited this site while I was searching if it was possible to communicate to the other races by the chat, but I was caught in the flow and continued this way. If there's anything to do with my question plz write (mod or something).

17. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

Currently no, I don't believe there is any mod or anything that will allow NPCs to respond to your dialogue.

18. DrgnShark

DrgnShark Aquatic Astronaut

I would suggest using the official wiki. Not much new lore has been revealed aside from some boss lore that drops from each boss (see here).

19. Cloudhopper

Cloudhopper Weight of the Sky

Reading some codex entries tells that Big Ape is friends with Thornwing and Greenfinger, the avian and floran rulers.
    Greenfinger has at least limited control over Thornwing's elite assassins, which seems to imply that the Florans, Avians, and Apex are allied.

Florans, Avians, and Apex all seem to like the Glitch Flag, and the Floran PCs appear excited when they see one, so one could infer that Glitch might be in on the alliance as well.

In a USCM Personnel log, someone tried to gain access to a USCM Outpost by posing as a hylotl, which they probably wouldn't have done if Hylotl and Humans aren't allied...

So there's a Floran-Apex-Avian-(possibly glitch) alliance,
    and a Human-hylotl alliance.

Either the glitch are neutral, or the 'alliances' are unbalanced.

...What about the agarans?

20. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

From my Human character gameplay, rogue Floran's in separate houses are friendly with Human's, these are the more intelligent Floran's that aren't completely ssstab ssstab on everything. Also, Glitch guards have always acted rude towards my human, but never actually attack unless provoked.