Pixel Starbound Pixel art Tutorials

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by NewLiar, May 4, 2013.

1. NewLiar

NewLiar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Most recent video: Episode 2​

Hey I'm NewLiar, I've been making Starbound Pixel art for a while now and have had people ask me to teach them some basics. I really like teaching people pixel art, but there are too many people who want my help right now for me to handle. So I decided to make a Starbound Pixel art Tutorial series.

Paint.net: http://www.getpaint.net/
    This is probably the best software you can get to make the pixel art with (It's also used by some of the Starbound devs). It's also free and easy to install.

Alternative program for Mac users: http://gimp.en.softonic.com/mac

Here's the template for the first video:
    Human Template.png

Human Template v2.png

P.S for the forums mods: I posted it here for people who are interested in pixel art. I thought that if I posted it in the video section, a lot of people who visit the pixel art section might miss it.

fl!ght, StarBatman, Muss and 10 others like this.
  2. NewLiar

[Reserved to feature art made by forum members]

3. Zain Hallows

Zain Hallows Existential Complex

really awesome stuff man! keep up the awesomeness!~~

NewLiar likes this.
  4. Moebisuium

Moebisuium Void-Bound Voyager

Awesome tutorial !

NewLiar likes this.
  5. NewLiar

Next episode will be about Hairstyles. Will try and make one episode per weekend, at least for the next 3/4 weeks (I have final exams, so I dont have a lot of time). After my exams I'll make a couple a week. Thanks for the feedback so far! ;)

RakuPL likes this.
  6. flynphish

flynphish Master Chief

Great video, mind telling me what software your using for this tutorial as I'm sorta stuck on MS Paint and i feel i need an upgrade :p would be heaps appreciated

NewLiar likes this.
  7. NewLiar

Im using Photoshop Elements 11.0 (I got it free with a Wacom tablet, but I think you need to buy it) in this video, but you can easily use a program called Paint.net which is free and has all the same things needed for pixel art.

flynphish likes this.
  8. flynphish

flynphish Master Chief

OK! thankyou lots for the input, getting paint.net now. ill probably spend the rest of the night attempting pixel art (failing most likely) cant wait for next video. good luck :)

NewLiar likes this.
  9. Asger

Asger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hi New Liar!
    Do you know of a good pixelart program for Mac?

NewLiar likes this.
  10. NewLiar

Gimp is a good free alternative for Mac, and it can do anything photoshop and paint.net can do.
    Here's a download link for the Mac version: http://gimp.en.softonic.com/mac

11. Asger

Asger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you! :)

NewLiar likes this.
  12. Svenou

Svenou Master Chief

Awesome. It's so cool :D

NewLiar likes this.
  13. Cake

Cake Cosmic Narwhal

Very useful tutorials, even tho I don't do Pixel Art. :p
    I might learn how too!

NewLiar likes this.
  14. Barlov Monkiss

Barlov Monkiss Big Damn Hero

I find it sad that even though I have both Paint.net and Gimp, I still end up using MS Paint most of the time. xD

NewLiar likes this.
  15. NewLiar

Uploaded Starbound Pixel Art Tutorial - Ep. 2: Human Hair Basics

16. Zac091

Zac091 Star Wrangler

Love these! I subscribed to you.

NewLiar likes this.
  17. NewLiar

Update:
    There won't be a episode this weekend, because of exams, but I'll try to make a episode for next weekend. Next episode will be the last episode where I explain how to use templates, after that I'll show you guys how to make your own stuff. I'm thinking of doing a how to convert a human sprite into a Novakid tutorial for Episode 4 or 5.

Did everything go well with installing Gimp?

How is your pixel art coming along? ;)
    I'm going to be using the now reserved part of the thread to show of art that people made with help from the tutorials. I could add yours as the first one, if you'd like that?

Spoddy likes this.
  18. NewLiar

Update:
    Over 1000+ views on Ep.1 guys! Thank you guys for all the support so far, I'm super excited to get back to making more videos soon. The last of my final exams is this Thursday, but I'll try to get a video out for this weekend.

Here's something I made a while ago. It's my first collection of sprites I made on my own thread. It's not all of them, but I'm working on getting the second one (of the same amount of sprites as this one) filled up aswell.

Sprite Collection 1 NewLiar.png

Why am I showing you this? Well, I'm not just showing this off. I'm giving it to you guys to use.
    I use this a lot while working on new sprites as a reference to making new clothes, hairstyles or just to use colors that looked good from old sprites.

Feel free to copy and edit these at will. I'll be back with a new video soon. ;)

19. ChevChelios

ChevChelios Orbital Explorer

At first you made a great tutorial. And your created charakter are awesome (my favorite is alex from clockwork orange). Unfortunately all character are in the same position. For the Game you need more or not? Do you know how to integrate his own clothing in the Game? For example a sprite generator?

NewLiar likes this.
  20. Zac091

Zac091 Star Wrangler

Congratulations man! Please keep on with the awesome tutorials! :DD

NewLiar likes this.