1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Starbound not starting at all

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by netraameht, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reno

Reno Phantasmal Quasar

I'm at work right now but when I get home I'm going to dig around the application support folder and see if I can find a similar fix to Acru's for Mac. If it's something as simple as a missing file that would be grand. :D

2. srecinto

srecinto Big Damn Hero

Dude this solved my problem!!! The launcher wouldn't even launch... nothing would happen but when i added this it seemd to work although i did get an error to pop up... I'll record the error again next time. I'm on Win 7 64bit machine with nvidia geForce 580M

3. srecinto

srecinto Big Damn Hero

UPDATE: I got it working. Another thread recommened that I copy this file

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\libeay32.dll

Here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\launcher

And I got the launcher to launch... i'll report any other issue I run into

Hope this helps you guys

Shippo likes this.
  4. n1313

n1313 Seal Broken

For all mac players having this issue: check if your ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/starbound.log file has something like "Error: Fatal Exception Caught: UuidException: Size mismatch in reading Uuid from ByteArray: 4 vs 16". If yes, please report in this thread.

5. Reno

Reno Phantasmal Quasar

I don't even have a log file...I'm not sure Starbound can produce one since it can't start at all. It's literally "run -> crash", no sign of the actual game. Just a "quit unexpectedly!" crash screen.
    Hm.

Disregard that, it finally generated one!

Code:
    Info: Preparing Star::Root...
    Info: Creating default Star::Configuration
    Info: Done preparing Star::Root.
    Info: Client version 'Beta v. Perturbed Koala' '615' '418'
    Info: Starting from the title screen
    Info: Initialized SDL
    Info: Initialized SDL Video
    Info: Initialized SDL Joystick
    Info: Initialized SDL Sound
    Info: Opened default audio device with 44khz / 16 bit stereo audio, 2048 sample size buffer
    Info: Creating player storage directory
    Info: Initializing SDL Window
    Info: Created initial window 1920x1080
    Warn: Perf: ClientApplication::renderInit millis: 1565
    Error: Failed to initialize graphics mode: GraphicsException:
      004D3816 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/graphics/StarRenderer_direct3d.cpp:493)
      004D48DE (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/graphics/StarRenderer_direct3d.cpp:226)
      ... (2)
      00403756 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:160)
      004089EC (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/application/StarApplicationBase.cpp:780)
      00408D32 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/application/StarApplicationBase.cpp:653)
      0040990E (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/application/StarApplicationBase.cpp:135)
      0040779F (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/client/main.cpp:49)

Error: Setting fallback mode.
    Info: Initializing SDL Window
    Info: Created initial window 640x360
    Info: Shutting down Star::Root

This part in particular stands out to me:

Code:
      004D3816 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/graphics/StarRenderer_direct3d.cpp:493)
      004D48DE (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/graphics/StarRenderer_direct3d.cpp:226)
    I'm running OS X 10.6.8, so it's not the same issue the 10.9 and Mavericks users are having. I wonder if I'm just missing a Direct3D driver or something? Any ideas?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  6. Sabinsnake

Sabinsnake Void-Bound Voyager

where do I go to get into the game? when I open the game, there are several things to click on, Join the Starbound Community, Premium Servers, Official Wiki, Leave Feedback, Report Bugs and Support. so how do I get into the game?

7. MarshallPlz

MarshallPlz Space Hobo

When i start up Starbound, the launcher appears fine, but when i click on the 'Launch Starbound' button, nothing happens... All the other buttons work just fine, except that one. Is anybody else experiencing this issue? Or does anybody know a fix to this? I've tried many ways to fix this, re-installed the game, re-installed the launcher, ran Steam as admin, nothing seems to work... :(

8. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Try waiting a few minutes.Maybe it will appear.

9. Alfred

Alfred Master Chief

try this

10. JohnnyKill

JohnnyKill Astral Cartographer

You should show how to run admin upon launcher + game sinds the launcher has it troubles running to.

11. jfry

jfry Space Hobo

This helped me. I had set permission to run as administrator when I was messing around trying to set up a server. After unclicking run this program as an administrator in both the starbound exe and starbound opengl exe it works fine. Thanks for the help!

12. VertigoBound

VertigoBound Space Hobo

Hey Im on mac and when i installed starbound and launched it, it crashed immediately. i tried running it again but it did the same thing. I even tried getting a steam key, but when i entered it in, it said "invalid steam key". Can you please help?

13. Cataclysmic

Cataclysmic Space Spelunker

EYO I GOT THAT FIX FO YALL, Well for mac users at least, not sure about other OS... If when you try to launch starbound from steam the icon pops up in your dock for a second or 2 and then goes away, nothing happens, go to your starbound folder under Library > Application Support > Steam > SteamApps > Common > starbound and delete your "player" and "universe" folders. It will delete your charcters and worlds but hey, better then nothing. Worked for me, gl.

14. RebelWith_A_Hat

RebelWith_A_Hat Space Hobo

I have a mac. Any solutions that you know of? It just says "starbound quit unexpectedly" and when I click re-open it just pops right back up and says the same thing,

15. CaseyObay

CaseyObay Yeah, You!

same here

16. Reno

Reno Phantasmal Quasar

Check your Starbound.log if your game has managed to generate one. If it mentions anything about a Direct3D renderer, I believe the only solution is to wait for the devs to patch it up. I don't think there's anything we can do on our end right now.

17. jaws54

jaws54 Space Hobo

ya mine kind of starts more or less...what happens is that i go to steam i press play it goes to the launcher but upon clicking "launch star bound" in the launcher nothing happens Ive tried almost everything from running the .exe as a administrator to deleting the hole game and reinstalling it

PLEASE HELP!

bullhaswings likes this.
  18. Halon

Halon Phantasmal Quasar

Are you running anything lower than OS X 10.8? :geek:Because 10.8 and higher is required apparently, wish they said that before I pre-ordered:mad:. Now I am on a rather long Oddesy trying to get Mavericks on my mac, requiring me to get back-up drives, huge downloads, getting appointments to the genius bar, crashing internets, and all out chaos.:facepalm: ow my face is sore.

*edit*: this better be worth the $70 for the back-up drives.

19. Reno

Reno Phantasmal Quasar

Except...That's only a beta requirement? The game will be optimized for lower-end systems before the final release, Tiy already said that. No need to dump seventy bucks on a new backup drive if you're willing to be patient.

20. Austinthe1st

Austinthe1st Space Hobo

Well I was learning things as I went to do as you said but when I got to the launcher exe first I made sure it ran me as admin ( since I did when I was trying to set up a server for my brother) and it worked...well so far. Just wanted to say thanks for trying anyways and good luck to anyone else who is having issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.