1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound non-Steam vinculated?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by AxelAlex360, Jul 20, 2017.

1. AxelAlex360

AxelAlex360 Void-Bound Voyager

It's about an year that i've bought Starbound on Steam, but i was questioning myself... Is there a way to get Starbound files (LEGALLY) and store them on my HDD? I really loved this game and since i would like to play it on vacation next month i'd like to install Starbound on my laptop that is in our summer house, but unfortunately there is no internet connection there. There is a way to do that without using piracy? It would be kinda controversial buying the game and then downloading it from internet

2. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

get the GOG version

3. NuclearSlayer52

NuclearSlayer52 Phantasmal Quasar

as long as you dont give the files to anyone it should be legal....

also... hdd can corrupt when it shakes so itd be best to use ssd but youll have to update world files on what you didnt use last IF you want to copy them and take the files off the ssd onto laptop and then onto for transfer then off onto first place then off whatever...

though if you already use ssd on the laptop then rather then this if you dont care about progress difference between both places... bring the laptop with you to internet (whether home or near internetless home) and then download but id suggest disabling all updates aka put into a manual mode....

or again convenience magic as you should be able to run starbound off the ssd just put it on it and there MIGHT be a way to have starbound install there for steam to read from rather then anyway else... same thing disable updates except for manual ones.... should be able to do it by uninstall and reinstall apperently? i highly suggest the backup thing for any games you want to do this for as im not sure if itll actually work

4. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

you own the right to play the game by buying it, so you cna make copies as logn as no one lese is using them.

I know the old koala versions run fine without steam, so probably just copying the entire game folder may work to run the game as it is. It could be that you can still simply start Stabound by the exe in it's folder without steam.

also stema has an offline mode which should work too.

5. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I've played the game through Steam WITHOUT an internet connection on my laptop. The current iteration.

You can copy the whole thing to the laptop and just run the executable, or install Steam on the laptop and use that.

I've copied the entire game and moved it to backup file locations several times. I still have the Koala build backed up, and it's fully playable without Steam.

Jerln likes this.