Modding Discussion Starbound Medieval. Is it something you would play?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Tuesday's Eyebrow, May 23, 2015.

1. Tuesday's Eyebrow

Tuesday's Eyebrow Phantasmal Quasar

Ever since some of the first screenshots including Glitch were released, I was enamored with the idea of a total conversion mod that would turn all of starbound into a fantasy setting, rather than a science fiction one. Starships would become Airships, Techs would become Magic and so on. While I am not here to say that I have finally pulled this off, I am here to ask if people would be interested in playing something of that nature.

I'm also here to ask for help from the entire community, if you're interested. I'll probably work on this in my spare time regardless, but I can make no promises that it will become anything. Allot of the game's systems could be renamed or altered slightly to come to this effect. Most of the work would come down to making new things and somehow abolishing the old, if that's at all possible.

A few of the ideas I already have include a variety of new weapon types, proper, unique secondary stances for all two handed weapons, a forging/alloy system, new materials like Mythril and Orichalcum, and an overall unified visual theme.

One of the problems that will have to be dealt with is what to do with the races currently in the game? Do we scrap them? Make new ones? Make it so you have to be a human in return for more customization options? I don't honestly know. I'd like to include some common fantasy races like Elves and Dwarves, but that might be a bit too generic.

Anywho. What do you guys think? Is it something you would enjoy playing (Either as RP or not)? Would you be interested in collaborating on it? Am I just a crazy loon who doesn't understand how modding works?

(All these questions, and more, will be answered next time on: STAAAAARBOOOOUUUUND MEEEDIIIIIEEEEEEEVAAAAAALLLLLL)

Kayuko likes this.
  2. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

Take a look at windfordge and terraria .... much easier to just mod them than to try and mood this to be like them. lol

(and windfordge has airships you can customize and live out of. )

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Starbound is much easier to mod than Terraria. I dunt know about windforge, but point is starboundnis easily nodded almost entirely. Not to mention starbound might have features the OP wants that the other games don't.

OP give it a shot. It sounds like a cool concept.

4. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just saying it sounds like what he is looking for.

I don't know about terraira, but no windfordge don't have any mods I know of at all. But it dose have airships, steampunk, and flying whales.

Though Instead of planets it could be other realms, the ship travels to..... maybe it's not even a ship but like this building on this chunk of land floating in some inter denominational space, with other chunks of land around it, bellow it, and the like to build out to.

5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

How does this help the OP? He looking to make a mod...

6. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

Don't really matter.

But all that's been said can be done. It would require reworking much of the game, and almost every item. >.< However I'm sure you could find people interested in such and get working on it. There crossbows and bow and arrows in the game, and plently of melee weapons.... so you don't have to worry to much about that. Just replacing the guns, the dungeons, the tiered armor along with half the clothing....

It is a lot of work but totally possible.

The turning the ship into an airship or some sort of interdenominational realm would be the easiest part though really. Making your own custom ship is easy enough. Well honestly most of the other stuff isn't TOO hard, just time consuming due to the vast digree of changes needed. x.x[DOUBLEPOST=1432354275][/DOUBLEPOST]I think the best corse of action would be:

1. gather a complete block/object/item list.
    2. while your doing that figure out what kinda things you do and don't want for this. Do you want any clock/steam punkish tinkering of any sort as is getting quite common place in fantasy, or do you want it strict sword and sorcery? Stuff like that.
    3. Go over the list of blocks/objects/items and get the items that need removed.
    4. Figure out what to replace this stuff and the ship with...
    5. Get to work!

All along the way.... get help!

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  7. Tuesday's Eyebrow

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll be working on this in my free time, but seeing as that's getting increasingly short, it may never be released.

8. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

more reason to get help, lol

9. Tuesday's Eyebrow

That's part of what this post was for:

10. Gevouden

Gevouden Big Damn Hero

No, I honestly wouldnt play it. I came to starboud to get away from the overabundance of medieval games that the industry has always been flooded with.
    but don't let my opinion stop you, there are likley tons of people who would enjoy it.

The | Suit likes this.
  11. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Starbound is sci-fi, not high fantasy. I'd approve of a mod which expanded upon the Glitch, adding new furniture, blocks, hell even robot monsters for the character to find and fight, but not a total conversion mod that attempts to make Starbound into something it was never meant to be.

Beatrice likes this.
  12. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

That's a good point Mackinz made...

It would be neat and nice to take anything put into making this mod into a non-conversion mod that just adds items/furniture/blocks.

13. Tuesday's Eyebrow

Yeah, seeing as I have no idea how to make the old stuff unusable, it'll have to be like that. My biggest problem with the Glitch is how their weapons look and the aesthetic of their tier 5 & 6 armors (Not just the extra eyes, They just don't fit with the first four at all). I think I just found a place to start, even if it doesn't replace anything, it'll make me feel more like playing glitch. (Which I have a love-hate relationship with due to my previous statements).

That does bring up a very good point. Seeing as the Glitch already have a medieval theme, I could always just make the whole thing about the glitch instead...

New ideas:
    "fix" what I don't like about the glitch through new weapons and armor that any race can craft (Thereby giving people the choice to use my mod as a medieval conversion)
    Add "primitive" tools so people can choose to not use the matter manipulator (Think flint-napped rocks for blades)
    Add some way to let people avoid getting the "iron crafting table" from the bug catching quest. Probably though a new alloy system.

If you think of any other problems I'll have to deal with, or things you think I should do, please tell me.

14. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

There is a way to remove items and quests and the like, you would have to look it up or ask some one how though

15. Tuesday's Eyebrow

So, I've run into an issue trying to add a custom capsule to the capsule pool of this biome
    Here's "alpine.biome":
    Code:
    {
      "name" : "alpine",
      "friendlyName" : "Alpine",

"spawnProfiles" : [
        {
          "groups" : [ "mediumsurface1" ],
          "extraSpawns" : [ ]
        },
        {
          "groups" : [ "mediumsurface2" ],
          "extraSpawns" : [ ]
        }
      ],

"hueShiftOptions" : [0],

"mainBlock" : "rock04",
      "subBlocks" : [ "snow", "ice" ],
      "ores" : "surfaceOres",

"surfacePlaceables" : {
        "grassMod" : [ "snow" ],
        "grassModDensity" : 0.9,

"items" : [
          {
            "mode" : "floor",
            "priority" : 1.0,
            "variants" : 1,
            "distribution" : "/biomes/distributions.config:surfaceCapsules",

"type" : "object",
            "objectSets" : [
              {
                "pool" : [ [0.35, "capsulesmall" ], [0.35, "capsulemed" ], [0.35, "capsulebig" ] ],
                "parameters" : { }
              }
            ]
          },
          {
            "priority" : 0.0,
            "distribution" : "/biomes/distributions.config:minibiomeChests",

"type" : "treasureBox",
            "treasureBoxSets" : [ "alpineChest" ]
          },
          {
            "priority" : 0.5,

{
                "pool" : [ [1.0, "wildswordstoneseed" ] ],
                "parameters" : {
                  "startingStage" : 3
                }
              }
            ]
          },
          {
            "distribution" : "/biomes/distributions.config:rare",

{
                "pool" : [ [0.35, "snowdrift1" ], [0.35, "snowdrift2" ], [0.35, "snowdrift3" ], [0.35, "snowdrift4" ] ],
              }
            ]
          },
          {
            "priority" : 2.0,
            "distribution" : "/biomes/distributions.config:scatteredLarge",

"type" : "bush",
            "bushes" : [
              {
                "name" : "snowbush",
                "baseHueShiftMax" : 40,
                "modHueShiftMax" : 180
              }
            ]
          }
        ]
      },

"undergroundPlaceables" : {
        "items" : [
          {
            "distribution" : "/biomes/distributions.config:undergroundCapsules",

{
                "pool" : [ [0.35, "capsulesmall" ], [0.35, "capsulemed" ], [0.35, "capsulebig" ] ],
              }
            ]
          },
          {
            "priority" : 0.0,

"type" : "treasureBox",
            "treasureBoxSets" : [ "alpineChest" ]
          },
          {
            "priority" : 0.5,

{
                "pool" : [ [1.0, "wildswordstoneseed" ] ],
                "parameters" : {
                  "startingStage" : 3
                }
              }
            ]
          }
        ]
      }
    }

Here's "alpine.biome.patch":
    Code:
    [ {
        "op": "replace",
        "path": "/surfacePlaceables/items/0/objectSets/0/pool/",
        "value": { [ [0.35, flintobject], [0.35, "capsulesmall" ], [0.35, "capsulemed" ], [0.35, "capsulebig" ] ], }
    } ]
    Edit: I figured it out. The correct patch was:
    Code:
    [{
    "op" : "replace",
    "path" : "/surfacePlaceables/items/0",
    "value" :
        {
        "priority" : 1,
        "distribution" : "/biomes/distributions.config:surfaceCapsules",
        "objectSets" :
            [{
            "pool" : [[0.35,"flintobject"],[0.35,"capsulesmall"],[0.35,"capsulemed"],[0.35,"capsulebig"]],
            "parameters":{}
            }]
        }
    }]

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  16. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

Bag I drew something but saved it wrong, so I'll just describe it...

I had this idea of this all gaged up chunk of rock floating in some inter-dimensional rift that is massive and has lots of little islands around it maybe a crumbling bridge out to one.

The only flat spot would hold a crumbling tower (you would have to flatten out more yourself if you wanted to have more flat space) that is kinda tall but not all that big.

In the middle there is a pit that has one of the stone teleporter a suspended on a platform over it, that near buy has stairs leading down to a room where a cracked crystal hangs by chains over a dried up well.

The crystal will need repaired to move, when it is it will rise up and float, and you will be able to travel to various realms in that demension till you get it fully repaired and you can fill the well up with mana. You can then just dump it as a liquid into the pit and the crystal will use it ( there are scripts for items to pull child into there storage) but maybe some penalty for being lazy like if the well over fills excess mana evaporates.

You would still have to go down there to upgrade the 'ship' by adding to that room, but that room and the well and stairs leading down and all that are the only parts you can't change... Everywhere else you can build whatever you want.

We'll take that back could add two rooms, one to each side of the crystal one. One for the 3d printing equivalent and the other with the vault.

As for the other stuff like controls, and AI was just thinking you could use the 3d printer replacement to construct smaller crystals that let you communicate with the big one and have it be the AI, and let you build and unlock various means of control or things like a small well that connects to the big one and extra vaults, more things to keep you from having to run done into the crystal room all the time.

Oh and just for looking cool you can make the crystal give off this intence pillar of light strait up you can have shinning through your whole tower if you like (with glass Flores in the right spots of course)

17. Tuesday's Eyebrow

That's an interesting idea for sure. I might be able to throw together something once I get some time, but I can't promise anything. If you wanna try doing it yourself, you should download a custom ship mod and look at how they're made, it's actually pretty interesting in my opinion.

18. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

Yah I was thinking of using mad tulips to make it and show you what I was thinking but the blocks just don't exists you know?

Guess I can just use place holders hehe