Traditional Starbound-Meanwhile in the Erchius Mining Facility

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by LoneWolf071, Apr 22, 2016.

1. LoneWolf071

LoneWolf071 Void-Bound Voyager

I made this in my DeviantART (are color codes disabled?) account.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  2. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

(You require 6 characters for the color code)
    And that's a pretty funny illustration. Could use some work of coure, but the premise is still a nice concept. Good job :up:

Alkanthe likes this.
  3. ShatteredEntirely

ShatteredEntirely Existential Complex

As Jareix said above, it's a good concept. Buut..
    When doing one-point perspective, try to use a straightedge. It keeps the lines nice and tidy.
    Remember to know where your focus point is, it makes certain things look weird if they're following a different plane. To help, try drawing very light guidelines from the focus point to the side pointing away from it (The focus point)
    The caution lines could use some work, keep them the same length with the straightedge, especially the ones on the right side. I can't put it into words, but it's inconsistent with the rest of the perspective.
    There is also too much wasted space in between the two subjects of the drawing as well, it gets rid of a lot of the tension of the piece and makes it more boring to look at. If you attempt this drawing again keep that in mind.
    Shading is also important, the flashlight was a neat touch but nothing else was affected by it, if the moontant is shrouded by shadow, try darker values all around, and exaggerate the cast shadows made by the light. (Just try shining a flashlight at stuff in the dark, it helps to get an understanding of how stuff works in real life)
    And now onto some personal gripes.
    The moontant doesn't seem very dangerous. It just looks like a big guy with a mallet, why not have it pulling the thing out of a hole it just made in the wall?
    Your character looks like he's going on a nice jog as well. SAIL seems panicked, shouldn't his running portray that as well?

And that's all, just keep doing what you're doing and you'll get better, I applaud your ability to actually publish one of your works.
    (Heck, I don't even show my family.)

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  4. LoneWolf071

Oops I forgot "3" on the second "32"

I dont show my family my drawings :rofl: only my friends and to the internet where they wont find it.
    By the way thanks for the tips but I'm afraid im out of black color pencils, I'll buy another set soon.
    It was my reaction during the first time I met that Moontant with a hammer, i thought its like a one hit KO.
    and the final thing is I haven't really mastered facial reactions when your character has a beak coz in new to drawing starbound. I really appreciate this comment thank you very much!

Alkanthe likes this.
  5. Jareix Cryvix

Honestly, drawing in starbound is just drawing normally. Have you tried slapping a pyramid on the face when you do the basic line. What I do for beaks is draw the circle of the face and the quadrant lines, then out a pyramid over the nose to the corner of the upper lip, and another for the lower lip. Then just round them off. You can adjust the sizes according to how you want it to look.

And I used to show my drawings here on the internet. Now I only occasionally show doodles in private conversations and occasionally in my RP...

6. LoneWolf071

The one im having problems with is the fact that the beak is solid and hard unlike the lips which is solf and bendable (I dont know if that's the term for that)

Alkanthe likes this.
  7. Jareix Cryvix

Well, you are right, but you can do the detail in lower beak movement and small details with the corner of the beaks. Take a look at facerig for example, the avian is a pretty good reference for this.

LoneWolf071 and Alkanthe like this.
  8. LoneWolf071

I implemented what you said in one of my drawings today, I'll post it in DeviantART tomorrow then I'll share it here :)