1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound-Less

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by RandomosityFV, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RandomosityFV

RandomosityFV Big Damn Hero

From the moment I played Minecraft I have enjoyed building something to call my own, changing the world around me as I see fit, living in a world that only I knew of. Then Terraria came along and I was only happy to immerse myself into it's more adventure and 2D theme.
    Both of them were very good games which I have spent countless hours in. One day, maybe like some of you, I checked the news feed for Terraria to find that there was something on it's way, that was similar but unique, so I clicked the link which lead me to a short video of the lighting mechanics. I was amazed by such a small thing, so I investigated further, eventually a quick google search had me sitting before the Starbound website, I lapped at it like a hungry dog, drinking up all the information about the team making it and what it was all about, I searched through the news feed, reading the words and looking at the concept art.
    I was drawn into further inspection of the art because of the colorful and alien look to it. In a way the style was child-like, as though the artist was trying to capture that fantasy of a world of worlds, with aliens and people and space and whatever the mind held. At the same time the art was sophisticated to the point of proportions. As a novice artist myself it was good to see this new view towards concept art and ideas.
    Not ten minutes after I finished combing the news feed and pictures I found myself on the forums, signing up to the community so that I may have my words said and listened to, and speak I did, I have made a few suggestions and made a few comments, I have contributed concept and I have looked at others.
    This game, no, this world, this Starbound world is not simply a game to some, but it is a brief moment of childhood, a look towards the future, a small step, a huge leap, a big effort, a little praise and so much more. Indie games developers are devoted to making what They want to see, and they do not have the huge amounts of money massive games companies have, they rely on each other to help make this and they are willing to make this game work, greased cogs and all.
    Big games companies should take a look at indie games developers, sure they can make a game with amazing graphics and decent story, but sometimes they just don't go that extra mile to make their game perfect. Or the bigger issue, money, at the end of the day it is the money that drives the companies, but indie games developers are not only in it for the money, they are in it for the moment where they can stand up with their game that only a handful of people made and look at the things made by a hundred or more people and say, "Here we are!". But at the end of the day money determines success, and without it no game would be possible.

So to you, makers of Starbound and to the community that keeps up the support of this wonderful creation, I say, Well Done. An Idea is nothing without those who believe in it and this idea is boundless.

Soldier on and keep up the good work

2. Sirnak

Sirnak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You write like a God and express what real work represents like a poet. +1 to you, my good sir. I felt everything you wrote down.

Now, returning to the main page of the blog to see if there finally are news! xD

Epicface and RandomosityFV like this.
  3. RandomosityFV

Thank you, it is good to see that my message actually did reach someone here :D

And I surprisingly I already have checked, nothing new... Yet ;P

4. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

I approve! :up:

5. LastDay

LastDay Heliosphere

I completely agree on the indie game part.
    I feel that many indie games are much better than games by large companies these days.
    Large companies spend so much time and (especially) money on fancy graphics and orchestral music that the gameplay tends to be average at best.
    Most of them also follow a set of rules, copying the games before them.
    Meanwhile many indie games tend to have a charming graphics style, simple but very catchy music and great gameplay.
    People who create them use their imagination and do what is fun, rather than do what everybody else has already done.
    Indie games also tend to cost much less.

I'm not saying all big companies are bad though.
    Valve and Arenanet are both really cool. And Blizzard... well... used to be.
    I'm sure there are others as well. :)

RandomosityFV likes this.
  6. RandomosityFV

That is a very good way to put it, pretty much sums up most the points I tried to make.
    And on a semi-unrelated note, I agree with the whole blizzard thing :p

7. DNAY!

DNAY! Ketchup Robot

:cry:This hit me deep:cry:

8. Ephexis

Ephexis Cosmic Narwhal

what a beautiful piece of poetry good sir, well done
    very touching and well written in my opinion :D

9. ParadoxZ13

ParadoxZ13 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Very well written, sir. I would tip my hat to you, were mine working and on my head right now.

10. Colobot

Colobot Title Not Found

Wow, I'm speechless.

11. shaken_bacon

shaken_bacon Space Hobo

As an Indie Developer I have to agree with this message. (Not to say I don't enjoy games from big companies too.)

I do think Indie Games sometimes get too much credit and big companies get too much blame. There are a ton of high quality games from big companies and the reality is a lot of Indie Games are terrible. I think we generally just like the success of the small guy more than the big guy. We always cheer for the underdog no matter what it is. (Movies, Music, Games, Sports, Etc.)

I have to admit though, out of all the big games coming out this fall. This is the game I look forward to most. Some of my favourite things growing up were: Lego, Star-Trek and Video Games. (Also hockey, but that isn't relevant ha ha.) This game combines three of my favourite things and of course being 2D really brings back the nostalgia of the 2D games era. I don't want to hype this game up in my head, but I just can't help it. It's everything I love wrapped into one little game.

Really can't wait for this game.

12. Nirn

Nirn Existential Complex

Masterful writing.

13. Guiyran

Guiyran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I could not have written it better myself. Bravo!

It always seems like with big company games they hack it into pieces and say "You guys make this part. You guys over there make that part. Me and my group will make this". How many of them dreamed of making this game? Probably not many. They never feel like a masterpiece. Only a bunch of ideas that got thrown together to make a whole.

Indie devs always seem to have that goal and passion to make exactly what they are aiming for.

14. RandomosityFV

Thank you everybody for your kind words, now I just want you all to know, I am not trying to bag out big games companies, I love big games and gaming has been my passion for a long time now, not as long as some though, but anyway, one thing I like and completely agree to is the message from shaken_bacon:
    I also am looking forward to this game (In case you couldn't tell :p ) more then any other titles out this year.

15. The Enderman

The Enderman Phantasmal Quasar

Are you an author? If not, you should be, that was amazing.

16. RandomosityFV

No I am not an author, I can't seem to write more then a few pages when I try :p
    But thanks all same :D

17. Sirnak

Sirnak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This thread needs to become more popular. There should be way more views for this message-wielding thread than for other generic "What will you do in Starbound?" topics when we don't even know yet how fighting will look like and barely even saw a couple of monsters yet... (Not complaining though, but I believe it's a shame that this thread goes way more unnoticed than those)

I think the thread title is the problem. Is it possible to change it? I must admit that, when I first read the title and clicked, I was fairly convinced that it was going to be a thread going to whine about the lack of recent updates. Maybe many other people think the same.

Well, now to reload the main blog page again... lol

18. You have quite an exquisite taste in literature, brethren -rubs fingers together to look fancy and stuff-

+99

19. Shahab

Shahab Scruffy Nerf-Herder

+1
    oops
    plus 100

20. RandomosityFV

Well the title to me is more of a pun, Playing on the words Starbound and Boundless, when something is considered to be boundless it means it has a lot of potential. If anything, the lack of recent news feed updates is only helping to enforce this point, by letting us know little we can't judge it straight up, and we can actually build hype. Unlike the mainstream games who would rather spill all the good stuff before the game is released, with that no one actually builds hype, it is all about who is better informed. That is what happened with Skyrim and I was happy to indulge myself in the constant stream of information only to be let down in the end.

Oh by the way, to answer your question, no It isn't possible to change the name of the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.