1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

StarBound GoG can't get steam workshop mods!?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by LordMaddog, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordMaddog

LordMaddog Void-Bound Voyager

Got StarBound today and I'm loving it.

It's a awesome game And has many amazing moders that have made even better.

But after spending some time getting Mods from starbounds main site I wen't to check out steemworkshop and found it has even more good mods most of witch I can't get any were ells!

Ive tried http://steamworkshopdownloader.com but I get this
    The game that this item belongs too does not allow downloading of its items...BUMMER!

WTH? thats just wrong!!

I hate steam!
    Is there any way I can get around there BS so I can download awesome PLAYER Created content from their site?

2. LordMaddog

HUH?

3. LordMaddog

I said
    But after spending some time getting Mods from starbounds main site!

not all mods are on main site like
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=729731141&searchtext=
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=730099850&searchtext=
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=729726478&searchtext=

I want thees mods but cant get them because I have GoG! and there is many more I am sure

4. KaelRhain

KaelRhain Void-Bound Voyager

Don't know why you hate steam, but, the only way to get them is, 1, steam, or 2 you contact the modders and ask them for a version on this page.

Edit: forgot to mention, you can use a little google, and see that maybe there are others ways to download them, but using apps and third party programs that i cant confirm if work or not.

5. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Don't be rude. Just explain what you're going to explain without being condescending.

Snappyr, Ziver7 and Pingeh like this.
  6. LordMaddog

Don't know why you hate steam,
    Because any one that says in their user agreement that when you buy from them you Do not actually own the product you are buying Will Never have my business!
    And yes steam does say that over and over.

forgot to mention, you can use a little google
    Ya I have tried three or four I get the exact same thing on all of them.
    I'm hoping for something a little bit more tech savvy like a new script in Tampermonkey(old ones busted) or something that can over wright Steams selfishness.

7. Maxkool007

Maxkool007 Space Hobo

Hate to break it
    To you but you never own any games no matter where you buy them. You are only licenced to use them and that can be revoked at any time. Go look in any old boxed game and read the agreement, u don't own it never will and they can do whatever they want.
    Starbound runs for me anyway without steam even running so I don't think there is any issue with Steam. Unless u play on a toaster it doesn't affect performance at all.
    You either use steam an get access to all their features or shut up.
    Don't be so entitled, you bought it somewhere wihout a "workshop" and now u expect valve to host and provide you with bandwidth ?

Hate to say it but u need to chek your head and realize it's not valves problem.

BitHorizon likes this.
  8. Istvan002

Istvan002 Void-Bound Voyager

Bumping this thread because I'm having a similar problem, and google doesn't seem to help much. :/

9. BitHorizon

BitHorizon Ketchup Robot

Steam Workshop requires the game to be launched through Steam in order to use the Steam APIs. If you want Steam mods, buy it from Steam. Simple as that.

Ablekaine likes this.
  10. evilnancyreagan

evilnancyreagan Pangalactic Porcupine

In addition to the Steam s̶w̶e̶a̶t̶s̶h̶o̶p̶ Workshop--you can find a directory of Starbound mods listed right here on the official forums ← clicky here!

And here is a wonderful set of instructions for how to install mods manually (i.e. without Steam) taken right from those very same threads devoted to modding.

11. Istvan002

Istvan002 Void-Bound Voyager

My main problem was, that there were certain mods I just couldn't find outside of steam workshop, and since I have the GOG version of the game, it annoyed me a bit that there wasn't a way to get those mods, besides getting the game on steam. Luckily I found the mods I wanted, so the problem is solved. :)

Thanks for the help though!

12. mrpras

mrpras Void-Bound Voyager

Surely the devs can just enable steam workshop downloads? That would solve the issue and be better for their customers. Buying another copy of the game to get access to mods is not an acceptable offering to your customers. I understand that it's not something they want to spend a lot of effort on but if they can just enable steam workshop downloads for that game, then why don't they do that?

13. ComatosePhoenix

ComatosePhoenix Phantasmal Quasar

I have several dozen discs and carts that disagree with that statement :p.
    the issue here isn't that steam is satan, its that you can't download mods from the steam workshop unless you actually OWN the steam version. at least thats how I understand it.

EDIT: What makes this a problem is that there is apparently some switch that the developers can flip that allows people who don't own the game to download from steam workshop.
    perhaps this switch costs extra, perhaps its hidden behind a ton of really cryptic menus, perhaps it doesn't actually exists and is just a myth created by a poorly worded error message. Regardless its a bit of a problem.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    mrpras likes this.
  14. mrpras

mrpras Void-Bound Voyager

It's a bit silly for a game that has its own custom mod format already. Everything on SW should be accessible to all players - isn't it just an option from the publisher that they can change?

15. NaturesWitness

NaturesWitness Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is one of the reasons I despise Steam. They lure in modders (and game designers) with a flashy interface, and then lock away anything they make in it's own little world that they alone control.
    People always say "oh all games are licenses so you don't own them no matter where you bought it". What they overlook is the practical effect. True, when I buy something from GoG, it is technically a license. HOWEVER, GoG can't enforce that unilaterally. Once I download the game, they can't stop me from running it without suing me or physically trying to take my computer, which would result in several GoG employees starting a new career as leather coats (I dislike being wasteful).

Steam, however, can disable anything I pay them for without any legal or outerwear-related recourse on my part, as they gate everything with DRM, remotely, without court approval, and out of flensing range.

THAT, is why people hate Steam, and it's a perfectly valid hatred.

My suggestion, strongly encourage people to put their mods here. if they put any true value in what they've made as their own creative work, and not as a cheap trinket to make Valve money, they should listen to reason and post it here.

And if that doesn't work, I recommend smacking them repeatedly with a Sea Bass until they come to their senses :)

KrissieFox likes this.
  16. Ablekaine

Ablekaine Pangalactic Porcupine

-Is lazy and will only download mods off steam because of this-

17. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

There is nothing preventing Modders who prefer Steam to post their works anywhere else. Steam is just very convenient for modding, a lot less effort has to be put in to upload and update, and you don't have to wait for people to manually go update mods when you add something to them.
    It's just plain convenient for everyone involved.
    Steam doesn't force DRM onto everything. That's up to the developers/publishers of any specific game.

Starbound is one of the games that has no DRM, you can play it offline (the vast majority of Steam games work offline if you've logged on in X amount of time, I think it's 2 weeks), you can play it without Steam (you just use the EXE from the folders, Steam Workshop mods won't work like this, but it isn't difficult to make them work without Steam as well).
    You can move the files to a different computer and they'll still work, even without Steam installed at all on that computer.
    Starbound isn't the only game that doesn't have DRM forcing you to use Steam.

Steam has also removed games from their store, but anyone who owns those games can still play/install/uninstall/etc. those games. With few exceptions.

Hating Steam is fine, but don't hate it for reasons that aren't real.

Tamorr, TheNextDecade and Ablekaine like this.
  18. Ablekaine

Ablekaine Pangalactic Porcupine

I really like you. You're like the Phoenix Wright of this thread.
    [​IMG]

19. Justin93Daniels

Justin93Daniels Big Damn Hero

Dang it! I know it's about a year and 5/6 late, but we need an Ace Attorney Mod for Starbound, now!

Or at least an invisible pistol that fires bullets that are "OBJECTION!" words! :O

20. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Please don't revive old threads to make off-topic comments.

Seeing as this thread's been inactive for almost two years, and OP hasn't been active in about as long, I might go ahead and lock it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.