Dev Blog Starbound Explorer's Guide

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jun 27, 2017.

1. [ Original Post ]

2. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Cool! Really like that Floran artwork and entry. It's also nice that you'd include exclusive lore and stuff for the book too. I'd definitely consider buying this.

3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Interesting. I don't know how much I'd need the guide stuff with the wiki available, but I'd definitely be onboard to see new art and lore. Hard to resist the allure of a physical book, too.

Tamorr likes this.
  4. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

For information, we have wiki, but the pictures are beautiful. :)

5. naprettor

naprettor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Its cool

PS Pages with description of the races you can supplement the original blocks from the game inherent in this race

6. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

7. Haha, while I can see what you mean, Florans are asexual (in the biological sense) and their culture doesn't recognize concepts of gender. They do have different body shapes and choose to represent themselves in different ways.
    Gameplay-wise, we wanted to still give people the freedom to choose between two different body types.

Jonesy, Kawa and J.Corp like this.
  8. J.Corp

J.Corp Void-Bound Voyager

Great idea if your making a guide book! More simple you don't need to constantly open your browser to find a wiki

P.s please add a furniture catalogue
    P.P.S i'm just asking

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  9. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Call it a handwave but I like the idea that the floran recognize the "disarmingly cute female" concept.

10. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

It is much more interesting why and how Novakids eat and breathe.

11. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

Will this book feature concept art for things like weapons, armors, monsters, and/or monsters? I would love to see some hand-drawn art work of things like the Protector's broadsword, high tiered Glitch armors, and some of my favorite monsters like the Fennix, Quagmutt, or the Petricub.

12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Space magic, son.

DragonsForce likes this.
  13. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

art and lore is all i want

14. maestro kitty

maestro kitty Aquatic Astronaut

I'm definitely getting this! I love the art, and the promise of new lore is just too good to resist.

After the explorer's guide is released, are you guys planning to release any other books?

J.Corp likes this.
  15. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Nibolas! Now that's a name I have not seen in a long time... Thank Kluex you're back!

Nibolas O Anelbozas likes this.
  16. Nibolas O Anelbozas

i'm sorta back! and nice to see you again too my good comrade!

DragonsForce likes this.
  17. DragonsForce

Still using the Avatar you made :)

Nibolas O Anelbozas likes this.
  18. Nibolas O Anelbozas

I noticed, and i feel pretty good to see you still enjoy it! thank you! but feel free to change it

.jpeg and DragonsForce like this.
  19. DragonsForce

But it's PERFECT! :D Actually, it would now be appropriate to change back to the colours you originally made it in, as I created my post-1.0 main char after that. But I'm so used to this image....

.jpeg and Nibolas O Anelbozas like this.
  20. .jpeg

.jpeg Seal Broken

I think it would be in your best interest to move this into a private conversation or profile post, or even to some messaging on a chat application, because this isn't really the time and place for some chatter and reminiscing. I do, however, greatly enjoy your avatars; they are spectacular.

Regarding the Starbound Explorer's guide, it seems like a very interesting venture, but not one that particularly surprises me. The video game book formula has been tested and tried on multiple scales and for a while now, but I do like the look of this one. With the Starbound wiki at one's side and a general knowledge of the game, I don't know if this will be entirely useful. Who knows, there may be a surprise or two in there. I definitely think the book will be more orientated towards lore, and instead of a must-need guide, a simple means of showing that the Starbound developers are taking steps in new directions. There's also the business side to things, I think the developers know what they're doing and whilst they obviously have the best of intentions, are also looking to generate more income. Which is totally acceptable; they're a game company what else would you expect?