1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Easter Eggs and References

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Nutric, Nov 30, 2014.

?

Do you think Easter Eggs have a place in Starbound?

1. Yes!

95.7%
  2. Don't Think So...

4.3%
  1. Presios Saiyan

Presios Saiyan Giant Laser Beams

(Dose anyone in starbound noticed that?) One of the hairstyles Referred to:

1454614_555087781243571_1884238540_n.jpg

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Well, reading the actual Kluex Delusion document, it sounds like they're more poking fun at the guy. Clearly Dawkins isn't a good man, but Chucklefish doesn't seem to be supporting his views in any way. To me, it seems they're merely spoofing his name and book title for use in a fictionalized document akin to what he wrote. This Hawkwings guy is made out to be very paranoid and, ironically, delusional.

DragonsForce and 1nfinitezer0 like this.
  3. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Yeah, just referencing the guy's existence for a pun as part of an actually-related-to-the-story element isn't endorsement of his abhorrent personal views.

4. Ponjkl

Ponjkl Subatomic Cosmonaut

5. ZProtestTheHeroZ

ZProtestTheHeroZ Orbital Explorer

A little tired but an Apex villiger saying "I used to be an adventurer like you, but then Big Ape took my family" gave me a good chuckle

The new weapons shop in Nightly is a pretty funny reference. a pirate themed store called the Penguin Bay (and obvious reference the a notorious torrent site)

If i'm not mistaken there is also a few Monty Python references in the Glitch

Also the Ocarina is pretty obvious

Soon I hope to have something as amazing to me as Terrerria's Plantera boss dropping a guitar pickaxe (Pantera is a famous metal band for those who might not know.)

Reyalan and The Squid like this.
  6. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

There is an Apex hair style very similar to Donkey Kong's.

Also, I don't think Chucklefish actually support Dawkings beliefs. Like Jonesy said, they pretty much mock him.

7. lech17

lech17 Void-Bound Voyager

i think it hasnt been mentioned but there is a 2 handed brown sword that when swung fires a technicolor replica as a projectile just like in the original zelda games plus it makes an 8-bit sound when hit

8. The Furreonist

The Furreonist Pangalactic Porcupine

This
    http://starbounder.org/The_Lusty_Avian_Maid

Also
    Alien reference?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  9. Consumer of Souls

Consumer of Souls Big Damn Hero

Huh, never thought that people would actually take offense from this game having an easter egg about Dawkins and his works. The man itself is arguably well respected and known figure throughout the world.

10. The Furreonist

And a douchebag.
    He insulted my religion multiple times, it's not OK. But the worst is what he told about the abortion and people with Down syndrome.

11. Consumer of Souls

Consumer of Souls Big Damn Hero

Taking offense from the opinions of others, eh?

Edit: I thought that the reference was funny. And no, I don't support the abortion of people with down syndrome.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  12. The Furreonist

No. Opinion is fine, but insulting someone is not fine.
    Also I'm not hating that reference too, it's kinda making fun of him IMO.

13. Boa-Noah

Boa-Noah Void-Bound Voyager

This could also be a reference to TF2, the Triboniophorus Tyrannus item which in itself is a reference to Futurama, the resemblance to the TF2 item is even more direct than the Futurama one.

[​IMG]

14. Demos_Tex

Demos_Tex Orbital Explorer

The latest reference I noticed is when crafting Glitch legionnaire's greaves. The description says, "Legionnaires insist people call their loincloth a toga." Someone must've liked the second Night at the Museum movie, "It's not a dress, it's a tunic." :p

15. NoTimeForStalin

NoTimeForStalin Pangalactic Porcupine

MysticMalevolence likes this.
  16. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

One time on an arid/savanna planet I found a wooden sword which you thrust forward when used that
    fires a sword-shaped energy beam in the direction that you swing it. I didn't keep it though, since it wasn't
    actually that good of a weapon.

Pretty obviously based on the Hero's Sword from the NES Legend of Zelda

17. plasma face

plasma face Scruffy Nerf-Herder

18. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

The Novakid Tier 5 pistols are a reference to the film The good, the bad and the ugly.

BULLSH1t and sheeshaslasher like this.
  19. Muffintrain

Muffintrain Subatomic Cosmonaut

This is obviously Daft Punk, or should I say, "Tuft" Punk?
    starbound_opengl 2015-03-20 15-59-32-65.png

Sword in the Stone.
    starbound_opengl 2015-03-19 22-54-40-15.png

20. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

Of all of the puns I've heard in my life, many of which were made by some quite daft people, that has got to be the single most Daft Pun I've ever heard.