1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Easter Eggs and References

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Nutric, Nov 30, 2014.

?

Do you think Easter Eggs have a place in Starbound?

1. Yes!

95.7%
  2. Don't Think So...

4.3%
  1. Nutric

Nutric Pangalactic Porcupine

Lots of games have so called Easter Egg bonuses and references to other games or movies and even books.

So far I've seen only a few references. Three to be exact: The Neat Welder's Helmet and The Handy Space Helmet are references to Dead Space series and the Doom series respectively. And I immediately spotted a Fahrenheit 451 reference in the starting Hylotl codex.

I'm interested if anyone had seen any other references of even Easter Eggs, and see what Easter Eggs others would come up with that would fit into Starbound.

Maybe the developers might hear us out and think about livening up the universe with a couple of secrets for us to uncover :DD

[​IMG]

Would be a cool thing to encounter on the to-be-implemented Ocean planet depths :DD

Ryani7e, eclaudiac, STCW262 and 8 others like this.
  2. There needs to be Dune references.

The spice must flow.

3. death5858

death5858 Orbital Explorer

I saw a Easter egg "I-I-It'ssss Dangerous to go alone"
    Spoken by a NPC in a village, I think it's an Easter egg.
    Correct me If I'm wrong.

Ryani7e and Serenity like this.
  4. Nutric

Could be a reference to that 'dangerous-to-go-alone-take-this' line from the 1986 Zelda game.

Serenity likes this.
  5. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

Well, the USCM is developing a moon.

[​IMG]

6. Nutric

Ah, completely forgot about that one.

Serenity and Hawk Novablast like this.
  7. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I have yet to successfully capture this moment in screencap, but sometimes a solitary Glitch king in the microcastle will cry out "Referential. Hark, a vagrant!"

Also,
    [​IMG]

Ryani7e, The MechE, LastDay and 5 others like this.
  8. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

I personally think there are too many easter eggs.

9. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

There is a bunch of references, but I want to show my favorite ones. I think I don't have to cite a reference to Mozart's Zauberflöte, Orwell, Richard Dawkins, Planet of the Apes, Leonardo. Dalí and Shakespeare, Star Trek uniforms and Star Wars snow clothes or asian adoration of "kawaii"-things and Pokemon-like-creatures, which are clearly obvious when you see/read them. Only a small collection, which are sometimes obvious, sometimes not:

http://starbounder.org/Banjo

[​IMG]
    Clearly a reference to "Curse of Monkey Island"... I choose the banjo!

[​IMG]

This is also pretty clear. Link from Zelda.

[​IMG]

Futurama reference.

[​IMG]

Monopoly!

[​IMG]

Back to the future, yeah! It also says "safe the clock tower" like in the movie :D

[​IMG]

I'm more or less sure that this is a reference to Assassin's Creed.

[​IMG]

The Wizard set is CLEARLY a reference to Mickey Mouse's appearance in the Disney classic "Fantasia", where he resembles the "Zauberlehrling" (the sorcerer's apprentice) of Goethe in Paul Dukas sinfonic orchestration under the conduction of Stockowski.

Ryani7e, Bill Cipher, LastDay and 4 others like this.
  10. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Actually, Monkey Island isn't the core of the banjo reference. "Dueling Banjos" is a tune from the 1950's, but got popular with the movie Deliverance.

11. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  12. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

There's a ton of easter eggs in Starbound. The Apex as a whole are a reference to Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell.

Hawk Novablast and Serenity like this.
  13. Nutric

Just as you thought that Desert planet was a great place to dig for some ore.

[​IMG]

I made the picture in an awful manner though :c[DOUBLEPOST=1417448493][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I don't get the Jump Suit's "Made in Deep 13"

Gunslinger, Jonesy and The Squid like this.
  14. DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

I think you mean the opposite: The Apex, in part, are a reference to 1984, such as their dystopian government and Big Ape and so on. 1984 itself, however, makes no reference to snappy-dressing sapient apes. That's a Planet of the Apes reference.

Heartstrings and Serenity like this.
  15. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

It's a reference to Mystery Science Theater 3000, one of the best things to ever happen to television. The main characters wore jumpsuits, and were at the whim of mad scientists who resided in a subterranean lab called Deep 13.

1nfinitezer0, Jonesy and Serenity like this.
  16. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

That's not really the opposite of what I said, it's a continuation of the references that the Apex make. But thanks for clearing it up for anybody who might have been confused, though.

17. DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

Oops, left out my operative word. You said "the Apex as a whole" are a 1984 reference, whereas they are only in part - a part being the opposite of a whole, but that distinction was likely lost.

18. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

The Glitch inspection for the arcade system in the human bunkers state the high score is held by the initials "CF". For those who don't know, that's Chucklefish!

Beatrice likes this.
  19. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

I wish that one of the racial inspections for arcade machines were: 7.8/10 too much water.

Ryani7e and Cloudhopper like this.
  20. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

http://starbounder.org/Starbound_Arcade_Machine

Not in the official stable yet, but I think this is a reference in the reference, Cobb.

Heartstrings likes this.