1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Starbound crashes every time I switch my toolbars

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Duckyfangs, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Duckyfangs

Duckyfangs Space Hobo

So I'm playing Starbound on Linux, in windowed mode. I only found out there was a helpful way to switch toolbar tabs while playing on a windows version, error never happens there. Anywho, I was playing Starbound last night and a strange crash accord. It happened when I went to press X the games default button for switching toolbar tabs. I've been able to replicate this several times, even when I switched the key binding to TAB. Now I'm sorry to say that I can't provide the error message, as the problem magically stopped happening as soon as I went to report it, but the message was something along the lines of game file caused exception. I'd love to make sure I never run into this problem again, as switching tabs is essential for me to get to my healing items and food. Please if anyone could provide an answer that would be lovely. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post. :)

2. dudhit

dudhit Void-Bound Voyager

I've been playing on my dedicated server for months and this has just happened tonight. I specifically used x to switch early in the session but after a while each press of x caused a crash.
    Server logs repeat the following each time
    [20:35:15.499] [Error] WorldServerThread exception caught handling incoming packets for client 3: (BadVariantType)
    [0] 7ff7aa3c8ce3
    [1] 7ff7aa3c7a6e
    [2] 7ff7aa4a9b4c
    [3] 7ff7aa4a8920
    [4] 7ff7aa4abeed
    [5] 7ff7aa581058
    [6] 7ff7aa5ad453
    [7] 7ff7aa3a121c
    [8] 7ff7aa82cc3a
    [9] 7ff7aa3a13da
    [10] 7ff7aa3a1876
    [11] 7ff7aa3a13da
    [12] 7ff7aa3a1876
    [13] 7ff7aa48c74b
    [14] 7ff7aa6b5042
    [15] 7ff7aa8e9b7a
    [16] 7ff7aa509033
    [17] 7ff7aa9133eb
    [18] 7ff7aa9277eb
    [19] 7ff7aa927298
    [20] 7ff7aa3c50fe
    [21] 7fffb0962774 BaseThreadInitThunk
    [22] 7fffb2be0d51 RtlUserThreadStart
    [20:35:15.999] [Info] UniverseServer: Client 'me' <3> (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) disconnected for reason: Incoming client packet has caused exception
    stopped server and restarted and still happens so will reboot the client and advise

--Okay.
    after the reboot it still happened. but i found the cause.
    I'd put the teklacki Atomicblaster (hammer) in slot one of toolbar 2
    I have Manaticon Wardenrocker (hammer) in slot one of toolbar 1
    as long as there was a hammer in BOTH slots AND it was selected when switching toolbars, it causes the crash.
    upload_2017-9-6_21-26-54.png

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  3. Bersalius

Bersalius Phantasmal Quasar

Well, I had a problem that maybe, but just maybe, is the same as you have... I call it the "Cursed Weappon". It happens when your Starbound crashes while you have an item (in my cases a weappon) holded in your cursor. So, when you restart, the game don't know where the item need to be, so he crash again, and again, and again, every time you try to interact with this "Cursed Weappon". Maybe pressing X does the same. So, here is what I figured out:

-After so many tries, I called for my brother to come and help me in multiplayer. I tried many times until I finaly dropped the item at a safe distance in my ship. Then, my brother came and took the item... To be sure, we deleted it for good...

This happened to me like 3 times since I started playing, and 2 of that times were in 1.3
    Maybe you should try to find if there is a "Cursed Weappon" in your inventory, then remove it.

4. jonaswashe

jonaswashe Big Damn Hero

This is happening on my wife's character if anyone pulls out the broken sword that the characters spawn with. We have Frackin Universe installed.

5. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

for both the threads that u just copy-pasted this post onto:
    1: please avoid necroposting. both threads were at lease 3 months old, so they should have been left alone unless it was important that you posted on them. even then, its best to start a new thread and link to the dead thread
    2: we do need a log. Personally, I will not continue unless this is given a separate thread, but some1 else might be willing to help