1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Starbound and Visual C++ 2015 installer issues

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Healthire, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guiguijill

guiguijill Void-Bound Voyager

i try and same error the installation stop at Windows7_msu_x64[DOUBLEPOST=1440696556][/DOUBLEPOST]Did
    Didn't work anyway i will wait for a future update

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  2. godtier

godtier Phantasmal Quasar

That seems to be the problem in my case, I downloaded a fixit from microsoft's page and it gave me these results.
    EDIT: FIXED, I tried installing visual c++ again and it installed succesfully, thank you omni for pointing me in the right direction

Attached Files:

OmnipotentEntity and The | Suit like this.
  3. 1Meg6502

1Meg6502 Intergalactic Tourist

Please show the link to the 'fix' you found. Thanks.

4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I am guessing he means Microsoft Fix it feature
    https://support2.microsoft.com/fixit/

If your issue with Windows Update - just choose the proper settings - and it will tell you to download a tool which will reset some of the settings for you.

5. godtier

godtier Phantasmal Quasar

OmnipotentEntity likes this.
  6. guiguijill

Didn't work ...[DOUBLEPOST=1440711197][/DOUBLEPOST]i have enough...[DOUBLEPOST=1440711828][/DOUBLEPOST]Nice update for nothing ... i just lose my time here

Good bye Starbound...
    I was here at the beginning

7. Evor

Evor Big Damn Hero

This was a fix for me. WITH SP1. :D

8. MythixDino

MythixDino Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ok, this fixed all the issues for me:
    - Install both vc_redist.x64 and x86 if youre running a 64Bit OS;
    - Install only vc_redist.x86 if youre running a 32Bit OS.

The | Suit likes this.
  9. haynesy566

haynesy566 Heliosphere

The issue for me is that my computer (32 bit) wont update (Tried everything) so therefore I cant install the Windows 7 MSU or whatever it is that is contained in the installer

10. MythixDino

MythixDino Subatomic Cosmonaut

Which OS do you have? Win XP/vista or something else?

11. NanoPi

NanoPi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

12. guiguijill

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  13. PJPixel

PJPixel Space Hobo

Hey guys, I'm running on windows 8.1 and I've been having trouble getting Starbound to even launch as described in the first post.

I tried reinstalling the vc_redist.x86 file but it keeps saying "setup failed" right at the very end.
    I also can't find the the windows 8.1 update KB2999226, but I've gone through windows update and everything is updated.
    Still haven't found a clear solution to this problem yet other then upgrading to windows 10 but I won't be doing that for a long while.
    :'(

14. 1Meg6502

1Meg6502 Intergalactic Tourist

Did you try the suggestions on page 2 of this thread?

You rename the folder located at:

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

to

SoftwareDistribution.old

Then retry Windows Update.

You'll have to stop the running 'wuauserv' service though first which you can do by running a command prompt as administrator, then type:

net stop wuauserv

Rename the folder, then type:

net start wuauserv

...to restart the service again. Then try Windows Update again.

15. Shizen

Shizen Void-Bound Voyager

I simply do not understand why starbound made these changes necessary to run it when it was fine before, it's like you're trying to out specific users in your userbase. I can definitely smell crap when its in front of me, and something definitely smells wrong here. Have your mods damage control my post however you want I dont give a crap. I have everything required to run the game, full updates, proper versions, all DLL's in their proper place, and I still get errors starting the game, and now you're basically saying "go find help elsewhere" when it's obviously the INTENTIONAL CHANGES to starbound and YOUR ISSUE TO FIX since I have problems with NO OTHER game, everything's installed properly, and I've run through every hoop you've tried to put me through. I don't know what you're trying to pull here but I'm not standing for it.

A windows update should have no bearing on a games ability to run. Screw this game.

guiguijill likes this.
  16. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Most likely reason is they switched over to VC++2015 for more and better features that help them in optimization and added functionality. This kind of thing is very normal, especially since the game is STILL IN DEVELOPMENT. The requirements will change as things progress. If you think requiring a specific OS update is wrong, then so too must requiring a specific OS all together.

Learn some humility, gain some understanding.

17. JaviWan

JaviWan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It is happening the same to me: in my win7 64 (deskopt pc) everything has gone fine and i can play. However in my laptop the windows update are screwed for some (unknown) reason and i cannot do anything, it just keep looking for updates forever. I have tried some "fix it" official tools but they do not work. One got stuck at "looking for updates", and another, one supposed to reset and reinstall windows update does not solve the problem. I have even tried the console "hand made" solution

Without windows update working i have been unable to succesfully install visual 2015 (it get stuck at the end of the install). If we look at the log it seems it get stuck at this point (the last entry is when i cancel the install):

[2015-08-28T21:03:01]i301: Applying execute package: Windows7_MSU_x86, action: Install, path: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\D4036846864773E3D647F421DFE7F6CA536E307B\packages\Patch\x86\Windows6.1-KB2999226-x86.msu, arguments: '"C:\Windows\system32\wusa.exe" "C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\D4036846864773E3D647F421DFE7F6CA536E307B\packages\Patch\x86\Windows6.1-KB2999226-x86.msu" /quiet /norestart'
    [0A54:0880][2015-08-28T21:14:48]e000: Error 0x80070642: Bootstrapper application aborted during MSU progress.

I don't know what to do apart from a reinstall of windows.

18. guiguijill

I reinstall windows 7 and everything work fine here.

Finally....

19. PJPixel

PJPixel Space Hobo

Hey guys!
    So I did the command prompt in admin where i inputed
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop cryptSvc
    net stop bits
    net stop msiserver
    ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
    net start wuauserv
    net start cryptSvc
    net start bits
    net start msiserver

then I ran windows update and checked details and installed the updates then and there then restarted my PC.
    THEN, I vc_redist.X86 "setup successful"

Now Starbound works and I can play again! Thanks for the help guys :)

The | Suit and lazarus78 like this.
  20. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

For some people the issue seems to be that the Windows Update service isn't running. For that you can install the latest version of it or re-register the components for it.

Re-registering the components fixed it for me, it was just running these in the command prompt:
    • regsvr32 Jscript.dll
    • regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    • regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.