Dev Blog Starbound 1.3 [UNSTABLE]

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, May 31, 2017.

1. MrCasual112

MrCasual112 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I found a giant zoo. Was pretty cool.

[​IMG]

2. mara123

mara123 Intergalactic Tourist

Will you add achievements in the gog version ??And saved in the cloud?

3. Shaggyd0g

Shaggyd0g Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah I meant the actual descriptions looks like the top Hostile: False has the Hostile: True description and the bottom Hostile: True has the Hostile: False description.

Mind you this is the first time I've actually looked at any of the internal workings of the game

4. metadept

metadept Mostly Harmless Codesman

As some of you have noticed, we've been pushing a lot of updates to Unstable over the past several days. The most recent one, 1.3.0 RC7, includes a change which will make your space stations disappear because the world file names have changed. However, you can get them back with this one weird trick!

Find your Starbound - Unstable universe storage directory (usually something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound - Unstable\storage\universe) and look for .world files that start with "unique-playerstation" like these:

stationworldnames.png

Since player stations are level 1, which is the last number in that filename, you'll need to rename any that are higher level (such as the second selected item in that image) to be level 1 (like the first selected item in the image). Make sure to do this when you're not in game to avoid them being overwritten! If you get the file names right, the station should be restored when you go back to it.

5. Shrykull

Shrykull Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks for your effort metadept, I apreciate the work all you do so much.

6. TheN1K0L4Z

TheN1K0L4Z Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, the thing is no one ever appreciates a d20-based system in videogames anymore. There needs to be that certain element of luck that makes the game fun, or challenging if you always have a bad hand. We could work on a bipartisan system, that draws both our pitches into one continuous weave. I was thinking of turn-based ship combat with room for counterattack features based on player reflex. For instance, you can dodge a laser beam with the use of the movement keys, on the enemy's turn. While, I do think ship augments may play a vital role in combat, a crew's position also can help turn the tide of battle. Still, the member's race can also influence how effective their bonus is in deep space combat, as well as how much it improves after each battle. Look back at the Genesis/Megadrive Port of Starflight, Each race has certain proficiencies in certain roles on board the ship. This can also be applied to modded races, if the update calls for it. I'll leave it up to you on how to merge our notions into something we can both agree on.

The point is, a crew-based system is simplicity itself, and yes, I'll admit, adding racial proficiency can over-complicate the entire system, but what if there was an intermediary implementation that spliced both our ideas together?

7. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

Ok, I think you won this round imo. That is pretty neat.

This is so true, Morrowind even though it is literally one of the best video games you can play is often seen as "aged poorly" just due to it being basically a d20 tabletop game in the form of a video game. Fatigue and running out of magic can be annoying but if you remember that short rest and long rest being a thing it kinda make sense. One of the few games that encourage you to freaking rest once in a while instead of never even if it is only a hour at a time.

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Morrowind has aged poorly because....

1). The default walking speed is SO SLOW. No person walks that slow and spends all of their fatigue doing it, lol. The player character, even if you choose a character built around speed, walks about the speed of an 80 year old. This is made worse by...

2). No fast travel except for cities at the beginning of the game. You don't get any sort of fast-travel until you get the Divine/Almsivi Intervention Spells or Mark/Recall, and those are a considerable ways into the game, after you've already spend countless hours walking, walking, walking everywhere with said slow walking speed. The game doesn't do much to make it feel welcoming, to grab you... it dumps you in a HUGE world, where you're going to feel absolutely lost, but gives you no fast-travel and a very slow movement speed. And, on the subject of magic...

3). "You failed to cast the spell." ... *sigh* Even if you take a magic as a Major Skill, you get at best, 40% chance to succeed at casting a spell. Spells are also uber-expensive, and you have zero... zero... natural MP Regeneration. You can't rest in the middle of combat, you know. And the spell failure applies in combat. Nothing sucks worse than being a mage and early game you can cast your spell maybe 3-4 times. Of course, at 40%, 3 of 4 failures in a row are not unheard of. In fact, I've been playing Morrowind again recently, TRYING to actually get through it because I've never completed a playthrough before and everybody praises this game's story. I made a spell... 1 point of damage for 1 second on self. The literal cheapest spell you can make. After getting some level 30 in Destruction, it's still only 70% chance (for the WEAKEST SPELL POSSIBLE IN THE GAME). And guess what? I STILL see 5-6 failures in a row while trying to level Destruction up. Odd, though, I never see enemies failing to cast... like that cheap mage in the cave next to the starting town who kills you in one shot if he hits you...

4). The levelup system SUCKS. Leveled your skills in slightly the wrong order? Enjoy poor stats which makes all of the above problems worse.

5). No level scaling means you go in slightly the wrong way, you get demolished by high level enemies with no warnings, signs, or anything that warns you of their presence. Also, combine this with the fact there is no clear path of any sort in the game. Some people say this encourages you to explore, I say it does the opposite. Why would I want to explore when I know that any cave, mountain pass, etc could have instant death lurking in it?

And finally.... on the subject of d20...

To Hit Rolls + First Person Perspective = Horrible Combination.

I can play games with d20-type To Hit Rolls, if they are done fairly (which I don't believe Morrowind is, more on that in a bit). However, when I'm standing right up next to someone, spamming the Attack button and I SEE my character ramming a dagger straight into them and it says I "missed" 5 times in a row, it just outright breaks the immersion. See, when I'm playing a game like Final Fantasy and I see "miss" I'm like 'ok, they swung and missed.' or if I see that in a top-down game like Baldur's Gate, I'm like "OK, it happens." When I see it in First-Person when I know the person was right in front of me, standing there, and I hear that "whoosh" I roll my eyes because it's just stupid. And Morrowind... kinda like its spell system, your to-hit chances are just ridiculously low, even against some of the weakest enemies in the game. I started a character with a Major in short blade and Agility as a favorite stat... walk outside of town and see one of the weakest enemies in the game, a slow-moving maggot type thing and..... MISS. MISS. MISS. MISS. and I'm like "you gotta be kidding me...."

.....that's why people say Morrowind aged terribly. It ain't the d20-like system... it's the terrible implementation of it and several issues working together to make it worse. Might be why Oblivion was so much better received (it has flaws too, though, don't get me wrong). They fixed a lot of these things, though they introduced new problems in so doing.

Sorry about going off on a tangent... but I feel that some of the flaws in Morrowind are object lessons that we all (including Chucklefish) can learn from. Sure, Morrowind was a decent game... but its many flaws sap its potential. It COULD have been one of the best games of all time, but it wasn't because of these flaws.

Kawa and HachiYakumo like this.
  9. NodusCZ

NodusCZ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Next thing on the list should be making planetary bases worthwile, as right now you can stuff everything you need into a ship, shame really, building things is so much fun.

Tlactl, Blevruz and Xylia like this.
  10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

They would need to fix the various problems...

1). The terrible-ness of the colonization system (how you have to build on some of the most awful planets around to get any decent rewards)
    2). Availability of blocks (I hate having to run down certain block types before I'm permitted to make said blocks, couldn't races at least start out with ones pertaining to their race?)
    3). Having to wait so long to get the Pixel Printer (you can only steal or build standard junk until Durasteel tier)
    4). Lack of incentive, again, your ship works quite well as a storage/crafting facility and is always with you, so you'd need to make reasons for the player to wish to build on a planet.

Now, Frackin'Universe does this quite well by the sheer number of crafting machines and facilities needed to progress through the mod, that doing so on a ship is very impractical (but not impossible if you don't mind waiting/cheating), but without FU..

I plunk my crafting machines down on my ship as soon as I get the 2nd upgrade and bam. done. no need to build or teleport to a planet, and you can even stick a small farm on your ship for your cotton needs.

The only thing you can't do on your ship is collect Silk from the Moth thingies, so you just drop a flag on a random lush planet and put a bunch of them up.

So to fix this.....

1). Bonuses to farming on planets (faster growth rate, perhaps occasional multiple yields, etc)
    2). Fix the tenants (I'll make a suggestion thread for this soon as I've got quite a few ideas)
    3). Bonuses for crew if you make actual quarters for them (to give the player to do something with their ship other than turn it into a giant flying storage crate)
    4). Fix the block issue -- have racial merchants sell usable items that teach you how to make all blocks that pertain to that race.
    5). Add a Pixel Printer to the Outpost -- making your own should be a convenience. Perhaps have it unlock via quest.

Anybody got any other ideas of how to fix building on planets?

Zlyvr, Bookhorse and HachiYakumo like this.
  11. Morrowinder

Morrowinder Void-Bound Voyager

Any idea on the release date?

12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Soon (tm)
    When it's ready (tm)
    etc

DragonsForce likes this.
  13. Mirroruniverse

Mirroruniverse Void-Bound Voyager

Playing RC7 a bit and I got two comments...
    First, thanks for the tip on getting stations back metadept, works like a charm!
    Second... THANK YOU for adding autofire on the mech sniper rifle arm. My sore index finger is grateful!

14. Quillon

Quillon Subatomic Cosmonaut

Transponder Vendors HATE him! See how he got his Space Station back with this one weird trick!

15. Caaros the King of Chaos

Caaros the King of Chaos Void-Bound Voyager

THIS. This is the kind of stuff we want to be able to easily build using the module system. We really either need more diverse modules or the ability to build outside of the station.

Blevruz, DragonsForce and redninja555 like this.
  16. SacredCaedeus

SacredCaedeus Phantasmal Quasar

Honestly, whenever I think of ship combat, I think of Skies of Arcadia; it's the only ship combat I've liked and it felt really fun to me. It's turn based, and as the battle flows your and your enemy's movements during the fight (which is all managed by the game; you just dictate your actions for the round) start to change the pace for both sides. Green turns indicated an advantage for you. Yellow was sort of a neutral state, and red had you at a major disadvantage. At certain points you could even choose a course of action (like wait and see or to aggressively pursue the enemy's rear/engines. Each round was four turns for each side, and you assigned turn actions to party members. Your ship's active crew would also give your ship different passive or active bonuses.

Every so often you could even get into the right position, and if you had enough action points, you could unleash a super weapon for massive damage on the enemy (the Harpoon Cannon early on, then the Moonstone Cannon for the rest). Thing is, if you get a red turn during around, chances were later in the game the enemy would have their own special maneuver which you really wanted to avoid yourself. The ship could be equipped with a number of different parts like armor, engines, different types of weaponry, a few accessories... It was all really fun. Now, doing this in something like Starbound could be anywhere from impossible or highly difficult to relatively easy (I wouldn't know and I won't claim to know) but something like that could be really fun. Then again, failure in such a fight means that you either suffer ship destruction (ouch, in many many ways) or you get boarded or something. Possibly even stranded and you gotta do repairs.

DragonsForce and Shaggyd0g like this.
  17. Shaggyd0g

Shaggyd0g Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That actually sounds quite like it'd fit with the theme of starbound and be a great "minigame" type instance thing.

As the ship is integral to the game I'd say having to do that first mission again to get the Erichus Crystal from the Lunar Mining Facility, which lets face it, with higher level gear is a walk in the park. But having to do that I think is just the right amount of negative consequence for losing a spaceship battle and being left for dead.

Why do all the stations have to be level 1?
    That makes them next to useless for creating space colonies...
    or at least give us a way to upgrade their level or the level of the tenants by doing missions for them instead of just having absolutely pitiful rewards (especially by the time you're at end-game content)

Edit: Found a few cool entries in the changelog as follows:

[NEW] objects\space\solarpanel\default.frames
    [NEW] objects\space\solarpanel\lightsensor.animation
    [NEW] objects\space\solarpanel\lightsensor.lua
    [NEW] objects\space\solarpanel\solarpanel.object
    [NEW] objects\space\solarpanel\solarpanel.png
    [NEW] objects\space\solarpanel\solarpanelicon.png

dungeons\space\playerstation\parts.config
    476c476
    < "description" : "A west-facing station entrace, suitable for landing mechs.",
    ---
    > "description" : "A west-facing station entrance, suitable for landing mechs.",
    498c498
    < "description" : "An east-facing station entrace, suitable for landing mechs.",
    ---
    > "description" : "An east-facing station entrance, suitable for landing mechs.",

objects\generic\mechbeacon\mechbeacon.object
    56c56
    < "interactive" : false,
    ---
    > // "interactive" : false,
    70c70,77
    < "uniqueId" : "mechbeacon"
    ---
    > "uniqueId" : "mechbeacon",
    >
    > "animationCustom" : {
    > "sounds" : {
    > "on" : [ "/sfx/objects/tinywallswitch.ogg" ],
    > "off" : [ "/sfx/objects/tinywallswitch.ogg" ]
    > }
    > }

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    ManaUser likes this.
  18. voiditect

voiditect Scruffy Nerf-Herder

yes yes so much yes. You could even (and this is a thing I have wanted for a while) commandeer enemy ships, crew them, and get extra turns to use less powerful ships, with turn order depending on the sensors or engines of the ship.

19. Tlactl

Tlactl Cosmic Narwhal

I feel like they should slow down the ship coming into orbit back to its original speed. In real life a large ship doing that would tear itself in half

20. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

Walking speed is perfectly realistic. You're already typically faster than most NPCs, and they don't seem to move like the elderly when you see them 3rd person. That said, I agree that it feels slow. I think there's some kind of weird illusion in 1st person games that makes you feel slower than you are. I've noticed this repeatedly. Like way back in Doom, your speed seemed reasonable, but then when you saw other people running around in MP it looked ridiculous, they seemed to zip around like crazy. But of course all players are the same speed in a simple game like that.
    As I remember it, nearly every city had fast travel, either boats, silt striders, or both. Plus the Mage's Guild teleportation service.
    A spell? What spell? You wanna cast fireball as a level one mage, of course you're going to have trouble in a skill oriented RPG. But easier spells like spark or firebite will be reliable from the start. So no. At best you have a 100% chance of casting a spell right from the start of the game. It's just a matter of picking the right spell.
    On this, I agree completely.
    This, the fact that the game only weakly adjusts to your level, was the only saving grace for #4. Oblivion was much more strongly leveled, and as a result the leveling system was much more painful.
    Eh, didn't bother me, I find it less immersion-breaking than the alternative where I can hit someone every time with a huge hammer, but it doesn't really do anything to them because I lake the skill.

Anyway, I know we're way off topic for Starbound, but some of this does apply. For instance I think Starbound's devs were wise to ditch character levels entirely. Armor is basically a substitute for that. It can be a little weird, but for this kind of game it's better the getting into the whole level thing.

Likewise I'm glad that at least in the vast majority of cases, the environment does not attempt to adjust to your character's power. Rather it's based on the planet. This can look a bit phony too "Watch out T6 Gleep!", but it's less objectionable. And in contrast to your objection to Morrowind, it's very clear which planets are dangerous.