Dev Blog Starbound 1.3 - Spacefarer Trailer

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jun 8, 2017.

1. HachiYakumo

HachiYakumo Phantasmal Quasar

Moders please. Make a WH 40K Dreadnoght mech. Body, legs, thrusters, arms (missile launcher, autocanon, powerfist, etc) Oh: and if it could be possible a horn that shouted: For the emperor!

pleeeeeeeease xD I would do it myself If I know how (i've been looking guides but I can't understand them)

2. Orion_Pax

Orion_Pax Pangalactic Porcupine

You DONT NEED EPP in space when teleporing with mech
    In planet surfaces mechas energy depletes too fast.

3. QuantumProjects

QuantumProjects Star Wrangler

I would like to share some general impressions about Starbound's development thus far.

First, a disclaimer: I bought the game after the 1.0 update, so I can't speak about past developments (nor would I if I had done otherwise, since it is quite expected that features get cut before release).

Now, from a technical standpoint, I think it is amazing that you have been introducing new mechanics with each update, and I welcome them all truly.

However... as many have already said, much of the game assets you have introduced to showcase those mechanics seem generally lacking. I have the impression that you are striving to create a huge, very complete (mechanic-wise) and very moddable sandbox game, and I praise you if that's your goal. Unfortunately, it also gives the impression that you are going way too fast and not giving enough attention to the actual content those mechanics need.

I do think that you can rely heavily on player-created content while being basically responsible for adding and improving game mechanics. Similar games (most notably, Terraria and Minecraft) and others not so similar (Gary's Mod) have already taken or seem to be preparing to take this step. Many successful games have survived years or decades thanks to a strong modding community. This is, therefore, a valid development principle in my opinion.

But if that's the goal, I think you should make it clear to everybody. Many people are rightfully concerned that you'll exhaust your development budget adding new shiny features, but not properly developing them.

Let me give you a glaring example: we have vehicle mechanics, but in vanilla we have a couple of bikes and a boat. That's it! We could have a whole system around vehicles (there could be several types, some could upgrade from one type into another, etc.). But we have so few vehicles that I don't think we find pleasure in having the option to buy them (in vanilla, at least). And now, we have mechs, which function very differently in comparison - in a better way, I must say, but for no obvious reason.

I could say the same about the archeology mini-game, collections, fossils, fishing, scanning mode, and blueprints!

So, what could be done? I think you should get a feel about how fast your modding community is coping with all these new mechanics... if you perceive, as I do, that they are lagging behind, I think you should dedicate an update to polish those mechanics you have introduced earlier, by creating more assets that those mechanics could use, ironing out the acknowledged shortcomings, or better relating them with the other systems in place. In my humble opinion, that could help ease the general bad perception that you are moving way too fast for the game's sake.

PS: English is not my native language, so I apologize in advance for any syntactic mistake.

Gunslinger and Blevruz like this.
  4. Tlactl

Tlactl Cosmic Narwhal

If they ever come back to the idea of adding rings to some planets, I want to be able to find this kind of stuff in there

Kafrene_asteroid_belt.png

5. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Your english seems pretty good. Even the archaeology vs. palaeontology issue is pretty much okay given that none of the stuff in-game could technically be a fossil (fossils are minimum 10k years old).

6. amirmiked12

amirmiked12 Parsec Taste Tester

hi can someone tell me what is texture limit size and monochrome light option in 1.3 update and can u explain their effect..
    thanks

7. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Texture limit: limits the number of textures that are stored at any given time, reducing memory issues from large amounts of loaded textures.
    Monochrome light: reduces lag related to the lighting system by making all lights give off white light rather than colored light (because white light is simpler to calculate with for the lighting engine).

8. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@amirmiked12: it's really very self-explanatory what monochrome lights does.
    [​IMG]

9. amirmiked12

amirmiked12 Parsec Taste Tester

I know this question maybe stupid. But I ask. enabling texture limit decrease the graphic ?
    Lol

10. DinoExplorer2000

DinoExplorer2000 Cosmic Narwhal

can you add a button/key to make the player sit? like an espression only the character sits Down and raise uo again if he moves. to like sit by a Campfire?

11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Enabling texture limit not decrease graphic.

metadept likes this.
  12. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

As far as I understand, sitting on the ground would require a new position, which means a LOT of pixelart work. You can bring a log or stool for the campfire though!

13. DinoExplorer2000

DinoExplorer2000 Cosmic Narwhal

but what if i dont have that?

14. PsychoFox

PsychoFox Space Hobo

I'm having a certain problem with the navigation. When i wasn't paying attention the computer did a mid game restart and now i'm stuck in the middle of space and the navigation console shows me blank space.If I knew how to edit logs , is it possible to reset the navigation console? pic here PS did remove all mods and one by one to see if mod glitch

Attached Files:

15. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

Why would we need new pixel art, why not reuse the sitting animation used for furniture already?

16. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Because that would look more like squatting?

17. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

if the legs below the knees clipped through the ground, it'd theoretically kinda look like someone was sitting on their knees, like this
    [​IMG]

18. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

But I can already tell you from personal experimentation that they don't, and making them clip like you describe would be a lot of effort for a result that honestly looks... not that good.

19. NuclearSlayer52

NuclearSlayer52 Phantasmal Quasar

just a thought is... what if they had it that when active legs would be as if hanging over the front? if confused i could try and edit a picture of that k...

20. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I don't need a picture. I have imagination. That's one thin strip of floor they'd be walking around on, with nothing on the sides. For platforms this might make sense but... just no.

DragonsForce likes this.