Dev Blog Starbound 1.3.2 Changelog

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I miss asteroid bases, now that I cannot have them.

2. Mirroruniverse

Mirroruniverse Void-Bound Voyager

It appears I'm able to recruit Outlaw crew members again after they surrender! Thank you! :nuruawe:
    I also really love how the mech now beams away with you, much better than the possibility of leaving mech junk everywhere!

3. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I definitely need to do that, it's the one crew type I've never got.

4. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I might be too late asking this, but any chance of a adding modder support for versioning scripts? In my case I'd like to fix old player data when people install an inventory and/or action bar mod.

This could probably also be of use for universe generation mods. Being able to update the existing universe to a degree can fix some problems. Probably other uses I'm not thinking of at the moment. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love this.

I considered trying to hijack the existing system (editing versioning.config to raise the version, tricking the game into running my own script), but even if that works (I'm unsure about the hard-coding behind deciding when these scripts run especially what points to them) , this would cause problem down the line when you need to do vanilla versioning(and I already raised the version number on players). So I scrapped that idea.

But a mod_versioning.config file (where we add our mods including the version), what data to pass it, and path/script to process the data with - that could work. I think that's quite a bit better than having to build an external utility (which you wouldn't want us linking to anyhow) to do the work.

DraikNova likes this.
  5. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

• Reduce cost of player station parts
    How much have the costs been reduced exactly? Any example to compare?

PS: I do not understand why they change costs, if someone wanted cheap or free gifts that use a mod ...

6. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

They more or less halved costs, because, based on player feedback, it did not appear to be balanced well.

This would be lovely to have. So much less of a hassle than hand-editing files to update things.

davoker likes this.
  7. joethealt

joethealt Void-Bound Voyager

Can the devs optimize the game please? I've tried everything to improve my fps but nothing works.

Leeroyzen likes this.
  8. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Yes, I'm sure a dev's keyboard is made up of a single, gigantic red button taking up the entire desk that just says "OPTIMIZE" in big bold letters and all they have to do is press it.
    Or maybe you could upgrade your computer if it doesn't meet the game specifications.
    https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

DragonsForce, maestro kitty and Kawa like this.
  9. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Lord knows the game's been optimized several times in various areas.

DragonsForce and maestro kitty like this.
  10. maestro kitty

maestro kitty Aquatic Astronaut

No offense, but maybe your computer's just a potato? Like Kawa said, the game's already been optimized several times.
    But, assuming I'm wrong and your computer isn't a potato, do you have tons of mods installed? I know that for me at least, having giant mods like Frackin' Universe can cause a bit of lag every now and then.

11. Recon603

Recon603 Yeah, You!

So, I have a question. There is a bug or glitch (I'm not good at classing that stuff) that when I try to teleport to the Ceremonial Hunting Grounds from my ship I get teleported back. (I'm sure others have mentioned this but whatever) Is there a way to fix it or are you guys trying to fix it or what? Reply when you can, thanks.

Random new person, Recon603

12. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

You should post that in the support subsection of the Starbound forum. Far easier to get help there.

13. Recon603

Recon603 Yeah, You!

Alrighty, thanks

14. Leeroyzen

Leeroyzen Tentacle Wrangler

This game seriously needs better optimization. Or at least change the sysreq on Steam, because clearly it needs more than that to properly work. Still prefer optimization tho.

15. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Oh how I wish we were allowed to just post relevant image macros and leave it at that... but instead of a dumb image, or telling you why a request for (further) optimization is useless, I'll just humbly request you look through the last three or so Dev Blog threads, see how many others have come before you, and what we repeatedly told them.

16. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

I have checked in on Starbound to check out the new (To me...) Mechs & whatever else I might find. Here's what I encountered, in no particular order:
    • Mechs are fun to fly thus far, but found one bugger to them: When ya fire their Gun then move around, the Bullet is staying tied to the Ship's Movement instead of being an individual. What I mean is like for example, I fire a shot to the right then duck down. The Shot responds to my Mech Movement & also strafes down as it fires in its fired direction instead of being an individual Entity & using only its own Inertia & Velocity alone. Aside from this Mechs are interesting thus far.
    • Bad Guys in their Hostile Ships are total morons & just stand there in their Ship Hangar & let me shoot them down with my Mech Gun easily. This is dudes around Gentle Stars so I haven't yet found out if Ships orbiting harder Stars are any better off in I.Q.
    • NPC Space Stations are cool. These new Elevators found in them are even cooler! If Players can Build & use these too, & in Planetary Construction too & not just Space Stations, i'll finally have a Elevator System so cool i'll use it in my Creations & the Elevators I use from the GetElevators Mod i'll consider 'lower tier' dudes now outgrown once I can build & use these new dudes. I especially love their 'Call Elevator Button' INTEGRATED into their Track also doubling as their Stopper. This is rad efficient! :love:
    • ARGH!!! The Game is STILL Crashing in less then 2 Hours of Play & refusing to let me play the game or its new Stuff!!! It STILL acts like Beta while the game still lies to itself about being a Full Release... My Heart is broke again... :urgh: Back to the wait for the Game's REAL Completion... :cry:
    P.S. Last test of this game before this one, I was checking out the new use of the Ancient Gates for the special Ancient Dungeons & I didn't get more then FIVE STEPS into them before CRASH!!! This Game will NEVER truly be a REAL Full Release when it still acts with Beta Levels of Instability... It makes itself clear it is REALLY still in Beta.

:sparta: NEVER RUSH THE DEVS!!! :sparta: *Continues to glare in anger at those who Rushed the Devs & got the game ruined...*

Leeroyzen likes this.
  17. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

The projectiles moving with the mechs is actually normal. Conservation of momentum, so your movement is added to the projectiles. It's annoying, but that is what zero gravity does.

Axe Garian and DraikNova like this.
  18. Leeroyzen

Leeroyzen Tentacle Wrangler

Many people have problems with performance, not majority, yes, but still, it's a big problem that need to be solved. And naw, being vocal about it is not wrong, the dev need to know that their product is flawed but can still be perfected. Or just like I said, change the sysreq on Steam because it's clearly misleading and way behind the actual sysreq.

Axe Garian likes this.
  19. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

That is all dependant on if they can reproduce the issues in order to debug them and find out why they happen.

By this point, they know about the problems people say they are having. But knowing doesn't do much good without being able to reproduce. And if you look at the change log of every patch, they all include optimizations.

Sometimes, there isn't much else they can do. No game works perfectly for everyone, even top as AAA titles. It is as goid as it is practically going to get. And for the vast majority of people, the game works just fine. You might just be one of the unlucky ones that needs to night the bullet, accept that the game won't work well for you, and move on.

I mean, yeah, I bet if chucklefish could make the game work well for all, writhing reason, it would be in their best interest to do so.

Plus, there are many other factors to include with optimizations. Can things be optimized more than they already are, given the programming language? Do the devs have the skill level to optimize more? Is further optimization even worth the time and effort to do? Will the optimizations have enough of a benefit to be worth while? And this isnt a swing at the devs for being weak at their job, I mean, we do have a functional and fun game after all. But that is just how things are. There is only so much that can be done before its not worth it anymore. And I think the devs have gotten pretty darn close to that point.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Axe Garian and Leeroyzen like this.
  20. 777JackOfBlades

777JackOfBlades Scruffy Nerf-Herder

":sparta: NEVER RUSH THE DEVS!!! :sparta: *Continues to glare in anger at those who Rushed the Devs & got the game ruined...*"
    Really ? c'mon this is ridiculous.
    by the way it's a video game and each computer react differently to different games or program , a game could work on a shitty pc but not work on a very strong one.
    There's nothing you can do about it, well actually you could try running the game in admin mode, change your graphic card or other settings , or just wait for the console version