Dev Blog Starbound 1.2 [UNSTABLE] Patch Notes

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Dec 7, 2016.

?

Which feature are you most excited about?

1. Terraforming

46 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. Ancient Vaults

69 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. Weapon upgrades

35 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Elemental damage

16 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Other (leave a comment!)

9 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Pohany

Pohany Parsec Taste Tester

The most interesting is BFG [​IMG]
    starbound 2016-12-08 19-38-06-46.jpg

Jareix Cryvix and Ainzoal like this.
  2. scaper12123

scaper12123 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Woo, very awesome stuff! I'm excited by the post-campaign stuff. It would be awesome to see things like adventures and mini-questlines being thrown into the post-game to open up more opportunities to flesh out the lore of the universe.

3. Kumpel

Kumpel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Bless. Gonna check this out real soon.

4. Gon009

Gon009 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Nice, however end of the vaults needs definitely changing. It's kinda sad that the idea of bosses especially with repeatable attacks is there. However, the most annoying thing is their HP. Repeatable attacks aren't difficult, they are just boring and increasing HP of bosses beyond the roof doesn't increase any difficulty, it just makes battles even more boring and longer. If someone drains 10% of HP of the boss easily then that person will be able to drain easily the rest of its HP. Only one boss I encountered was balanced, the only that had invulnerability shield. It had reasonable amount of HP. All others I had to this moment got me bored after first 10% of HP because of ridiculous amounts of HP. I hope it will be changed before update goes live.

Weapon upgrading is the most interesting feature in this update but not all legendary weapons can be upgraded. Also, there needs to be more legendary weapons, including all secondary attacks. Normal generated weapons have more versatile secondary effects. At least legendary weapons can now be on par with T6 ones instead of being mid-game weapons. Tesla sniper rocks vs robot enemies.

baconsama25 likes this.
  5. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

Sounds like you just had a bad roll of the dice with the Boss you got. Some people have gotten less spongy bosses with more diverse attacks. That's the thing with Random Gen. Sometimes you get not so fun things

DragonsForce and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  6. baconsama25

baconsama25 Cosmic Narwhal

Haven't tested the pre1.2 myself, but I really agree with the weapon aspects, that why I'm using three mods, the reinforcing mod for any weapon and the "weapon parts mod", because if you're to use random weapons, might as well pick their appearances and etc, plus the fusion mod, to throw two of the same kind and pick appearance, element, special attack...it somewhat works with legendaries as well, but not always bug-free.

I feel like they need to add some few sets and a LOT of weapons, of all tiers and maybe even new kinds with new mechanics, i.e. a scythes, chains, blowpipes... and same for stationary guns even.

7. Lobo Ōkami

Lobo Ōkami Void-Bound Voyager

Ok, with that time i can rush the unstable xD!

8. Tamamo89

Tamamo89 Pangalactic Porcupine

Tier 8? Are you guys making the ancient vaults intentionally hard as hell or still toying with it. Heck even 7 is high.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  9. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

Wow. I'll ask again. Does the terraformer have the power to clean Toxic planets? Can it fix Decayed planets? Can it add a nice Lush background to my Barren planet colony? Will it be a tool to be wielded by the utmost Protector, undoing millennia of planetary damage?

Also, are any of the new creatures in the Vaults capturable? I'm near certain the bosses are not, but are there any minor Ancient automata that I can add to my Starmon collection? I'd love to study them.

Lastly, can the Anvil make any weapon better? I love Magnorbs, but they're impractical to use in late game. I really only take them to the Miniknog Base mission so I can block You-Know-Who's laser barrages. Also, what effect does it have on Asuterosaberu DX? Are the rifts bigger? Do they suck in enemies now? Do they throw rainbow-colored beams instead? SO. MANY. QUESTIONS.

One more thing: Can you add an admin command to disable terrain modification on one planet in particular? I want to build a PvP planet on my server I admin, and my combatants can just destroy traps and spleef the other fighters. Overall not fun. We'd need some kind of exception for "gravity" blocks like silt and sewage, so players will still be able to get out if they're buried.

Let's see DumbAsra stop me now.
    I'm gonna upgrade this stick.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    Firebird Zoom likes this.
  10. Halon

Halon Phantasmal Quasar

so, will elemental effects be finally functional on swords in the Mac version or will they be still just colored damage numbers

11. Zapper Bot

Zapper Bot Void-Bound Voyager

The terraformer will remove the EPP requirement for Toxic, but there is sadly no way to turn the poison to normal water as there is no Ocean Terraformer. Decayed planets will be fixed. Your barren planet colony will become lush, but mobs will also start spawning there. I don't think the Protector will be able to undo millennia of planetary damage. 6000-sector planets take about 30,000 Ancient Essence to totally terraform, and each vault only gives about 2,500 essence, so you'll have to gather a lot of grindy resources like Sticks of RAM to be able to do that many vaults, and that's only for one planet. You didn't ask this, but the moon can be terraformed and both the Erchius Ghost and Breathing EPP requirement will be removed. The fuel will remain though, and so will the low gravity.

I haven't tried capturing the creatures in the vault, but I'd imagine they would be. The only ones I know for sure that AREN'T capturable are the spinning minions of some of the procedural generated bosses.

Anvil can only make Tier 5 or lower legendary weapons better. For example, you can make the Solus Katana even better than it already is since it's Tier 4. However, you can't upgrade the Magnorbs, Asuterosaberu DX, or the Proctector's Broadsword since the first two are Tier 6 and the third is Tier 7. You also can't upgrade the odd rare staff you find on an ocean planet, since even though it's Tier 3 and not 6, it's not legendary either.

You'd have to get a mod or server wrapper for protecting a whole planet. They exist, as I've seen them on multiple servers (and protected my own planet with a command). However, if you don't feel like getting into technical stuff, you could make a smaller arena and plop a shield generator down (/spawnitem humangenerator). By smaller arena, I mean about the size of the Hylotl Underwater City. You can place multiple generators to extend it, but make sure to protect them from tampering while still leaving a way open for you to toggle them since Wiring still works with the shield up.

Firebird Zoom and DragonsForce like this.
  12. Megatroll

Megatroll Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Can somebody explain to me what exactly was in this statement?

13. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I'm not sure but lean towards "maybe".
    Probably.
    Most definitely, having giving a Jungle background and then a Firrhna background to what started as a Desert.
    If a thing with a tooltip is too close to the edge of the screen, the tooltip will no longer appear half off-screen.

14. Fixed this issue! For instance, when your inventory window was near the edge of the screen and you tried to mouse over a weapon, half the weapon's tooltip would get cut off. Now it won't!
    2016-12-09_10-29-57.png

Firebird Zoom, Megatroll and Jonesy like this.
  15. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

With the current version, if you have your inventory open, and your weapon is near the bottom of it, the mouse-over info will be off-screen partially (the same goes for any other inventory object that's close to an edge). The new version will cause the mouse-over to open the other way in that case, so that it stays on-screen.

16. Megatroll

Megatroll Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Kawa, Mollygos, DraikNova, i thank you for clarifying this situation. :3

17. Tamamo89

Tamamo89 Pangalactic Porcupine

@mollygos
    Is it possible for us to create ocean based Terraformers.

18. Zapper Bot

Zapper Bot Void-Bound Voyager

I can't speak for the developers, but I seriously doubt this will ever happen, unfortunately, for two main reasons.

The first is that they only affect the surface of the world, and I think about half of Ocean-type planets' oceans are in the subsurface layer, and if for instance the terraformer replaced all the water with lava, it would affect more matter than any other terraformer. They could balance this to cost more essence, but it doesn't answer the question of where oceans would cut into the land biome and where islands would remain.

The second is that it would be a bit overpowered to be able to receive infinite lava, water, and poison from the same planet (since you can terraform regions instead of the whole planet). It is technically possible to receive infinite poison from an ocean planet, but you can't get infinite lava unless you abuse the Martinus Transformation bug, which Chucklefish has noted. If you try it on a lava ocean, you'll get infinite lava but not water or poison without Martinus Transformation.

Finally, I doubt this would matter much, but the borders of the lava ocean and the water ocean could collide to constantly form magmarock (I think), but you can technically get infinite of it if you do it manually by travelling between planets too.

19. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

20. Atlantahammy

Atlantahammy Void-Bound Voyager

Hey not sure if this was brought up, but when you change a planet's main biome to something like a lush biome, to a volcanic Biome, the threat level stays at "low" and does not change, is that on purpose or is that a bug? As that does seem a little bit OP when it comes to things like colonies and fule mining if you change a inconceivable planet to a low-risk lush biome (Minus the left behind lava)