WIP STALLED: UltraFarm Custom Map: Make Suggestions

Discussion in 'Mods' started by JamieMage2005, Apr 25, 2017.

1. JamieMage2005

JamieMage2005 Title Not Found

With the editing tool map making it basically just drawing things in with pre-made tilesets so a map and a sketch are one and the same. The only differences is that I have to add some minor property tags to make everything behave once complete. I am glad you like it. Like I said it will be a bit more organic once finished with lots of little details.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

You can safely go upto ~150x150, but not any bigger as that will break things.

• KThxBye910

KThxBye910 Void-Bound Voyager

Looking great!

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

I usually plant five rows that have one of each fruit tree. So... That's 15 squares vertically, and 18 horizontally.

• JamieMage2005

Thanks that is good to know. I likely will for expanded versions.

• JamieMage2005

So I finally have definitive areas for crops, animals, and orchards. Once the map is finished these grid lines won't exist unless someone requests them, but the areas I set aside for crops, animals, and orchards will use these sizes as their guide. I will make the edges more organic and the finished map will have a ideal setup image for those that want to follow the exact design. However, that being said you would still be able to just arrange things to your hearts content. I will likely be adding a mine/quarry cave and a cave/cellar as well eventually.

The four tiles on the right are 15X15 crop areas with an extra space for a fence and surrounding path. To create a 19X19 area. The upper right is the barn yard, which gives an area that 18X12 within the fence and 22X16 with fence and path. The lower right is an orchard with 36 fruit in an 18X18 area with fence and path that is 22X 22.

Attached Files:

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

It looks nice- it'll look amazing when it's all natured up. Are you considering doing a spa/swimming hole for stamina Regen and blocking it off? What sort of situation do you plan on doing for a water source? Still a river?

• JamieMage2005

I am not so sure about the regen pool. The thing is that there are some quests tied to the real one. If people have on of their own they might miss it. That being said if I can figure out a way to make to say lock gates until you buy a key then I will block off the regen pool.

There will be a lake, river, and possibly a tiny beach. The animal areas might have small little ponds for the duckies to enjoy. A few carefully placed wells might also be available. I might put the regin pool in the cave area I want to create. The cave would have a cellar, quarry, and hot spring area maybe. Not sure yet.

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

There are the hardwood logs and big rocks - maybe you could use a meteor? Or, if there is a way to do it, one of the little plank bridges that needs rebuilt like the one that heads to the far Eastern side of the beach?

A small pond in the animal area might be useful for immersion same-day they need water from somewhere, right? As to the water sources- I've noticed that the location and size of lakes, ones, and rivers on farms is one of biggest points of debate in the community. Some people like the immersion of chunks of land being taken up by them, other people prefer them to take up minimum space but to be aesthetically pleasing, still more prefer them to be small, unintrusive and out of the way- but if you start branching out before things are finalized, you'll have more versions you need to update. Kind of obvious advice, but I thought it might be useful to point out.

A beach might also look/feel a little odd because of where the Farm is on the game map.

The last thing I can think of is that it might be a good idea to make sure area tags like Quarry and Cellar- or however they work- don't conflict. Example being that Greenhouse and Cellar don't both work when applied to an area. You may need to look into Entoarox Framework and Advance allocation Loader if you want to make additional indoor areas, but I'm unfortunately not 100% certain.

Hopefully I'm not being annoying or sound condescending, I'm honestly trying to give constructive advice. I think your doing an awesome job so far and that you've been remarkably accommodating and thoughtful about requests.

• Voltaic123

Voltaic123 Pangalactic Porcupine

You could seal it off with giant boulders or hardwood stumps, so that they couldnt access it immediately
                      Edit: ninja'd

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
                      • Coolwyngs

Coolwyngs Giant Laser Beams

In the cave sounds like a great idea.

• JamieMage2005

Good suggestion!

• JamieMage2005

These are two layouts for crops to be harvested by the Junimo huts. Both work and are within the range of the hut. Both provide a fence and path around each plot. The difference is the second one has enough space to put paths in between each sprinklers area.

Attached Files:

• anb.PNG
                                anb.PNG
                                File size:
                                581.4 KB
                                Views:
                            • Coolwyngs

Coolwyngs Giant Laser Beams

Very cool idea I like it.

• Maleha

Maleha Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Do take into consideration that the second one, with the paths between the fields, will not produce any giant crops. You may also want to consider what to do with trellis crops. Junimos can harvest solid "blocks" of trellis crops that you as farmer cannot, but the vineyard style 2 rows of trellises that are harvestable by the player have a certain visual appeal.

• JamieMage2005

It is really just a matter of details at this point. I moved the Orchard to the upper right. The rectangles are individual Barnyards, the squares are Crops. The upper left is the forest. Just north and left of the greenhouse is a mini quarry. The the rest is details. I am considering removing the quarry and adding two cave entrances on the bottom one for a quarry the other for a storage. Should I add a bathing pool to the forest?

Attached Files:

Zalkyria likes this.
                                  • lyscir

lyscir Subatomic Cosmonaut

I would almost put the quarry in a cave and put a bathing pool where the quarry is now, but putting it in the forest could work too. Just depends on the person I think.

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

This looks gorgeous, as in, "I kind of want to live there IRL" levels of pretty.

As for the bathing pool, you should be able to put a pier with an area of it that has the property to change the Farmer into their bathing suit and let them get in the water to restore stats. The "Greener Pastures" farm mod map does so, and a mod that makes the cave HUGE adds a changing area in the form of a tent.

Is the area in the upper right the orchard or the berries for the forage? If so, how will that work with the warp point for leaving the farm? From what I've seen a lot of maps have had issues with getting the farm exits to work if they move them, especially the one to the right.

Also- if you want to make more space for people, as I understand it, you can use the Mushroom/Bat cave as an expansion for farm space if you use the right flags. Which seems to imply that if people want more space, you might be able to add caves that can be used for more space- though I don't know the kinks with adding farm buildings buildings and putting animals on the "extension" were completely ironed out. They might also be able to be used to make caves with fishing spots of the different areas. They could be blocked off with different obstacles, so the player can't access everything on day one. ...But that might require SMAPI and ALL and could possibly be too involved to be realistic.

Also, I might be having a brain fart, but what all of the forage maps traits do you plan on adding? Just the wild items, or everything including the bushes and respawning hardwood?

And last bit of feedback is that I've seen a few maps that use the tiles that are rocks in the water as stepping stone bridges- so if you want to add a way for the player to cross the river without taking away the "natural" look, that might be an option.

Really excited for this map. (...Even though it also kind of feels like I'm cheating on the Greener Pastures map, for some irrational reason.)

Last edited: May 5, 2017
                                      • JamieMage2005

I lost my original file so I started over. This map is larger than originally planned, but it is nicer in my opinion. The upper right has an expanded orchard area. There is a small quarry to the left of the Greenhouse. I will be adding a small bathing pool behind the house.

Question who would like the various guides left in? For example the orchard area is already setup and designed you just have to plant in the center of the grass circles. The paths around the crop areas define perfect sqaures for 3X3 Iridium sprinkler and Hut setup. I can make the paths diggable and so forth and make it so you can build on top of them.

Attached Files:

• lyscir

lyscir Subatomic Cosmonaut

I would probably take the guides out. (and maybe make the quarry bigger horizontally)