1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Stages of beta?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by TBONEXD, Nov 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBONEXD

TBONEXD Master Chief

Hey, how is beta going to work. Because I read that you have to opt in for certain stages but I don't think I have been prompted to ask how I would like to participate?

Much Thanks! :D

2. reversePsychologist

reversePsychologist Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The stages are only indicative of how the game is going to be updated, it's up to you to choose when to start playing: you will have the beta from the day it's released regardless of stages if you pre-ordered! (the stages are basically a way of telling you "you can play from Day 1, but expect bugs")

3. MDoubleM

MDoubleM Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think that you don't have to singup for any stage, I don't understand why would you have to do it. You've already bought the game through the preorder and you've granted beta access. How I understand it is that you'll just download the game and bam - you're in the stage that the beta is actually in. Stages may be announced through e-mail or front page as a daily update or something like that, but I have no idea what they can come up with :)

Sorry if there are mistakes in my post :oops:

4. SPOOKS80

SPOOKS80 Pangalactic Porcupine

Its not a matter of opting in for a stage......They will be releasing all 3 stages its down to you to download the game and participate in which ever stage you want to try out E.G Day 1 stage one release of beta "Shall i play it now or wait for stage 2 update" hope this info helps :)

MDoubleM likes this.
  5. Green Causali-Tea

Green Causali-Tea Industrial Terraformer

I suspect a lot of people are going to join on stage 1, quit the first time their save file gets outdated, and then join again on stage 2. They'll be much happier in stage 2. The stages are there so you can decide how much polish the game needs to have before you're interested in playing it. If you're not afraid of constant restarting and can be pleased rather than annoyed when crashes occur, join in stage 1. If you just want early access, don't know how to give good feedback when things go wrong, and/or don't trust yourself to keep an even keel emotionally when trouble occurs, wait for release (or at least stage 3).

Where did you read that you need to opt in to certain stages?

6. ChaoticGamer

ChaoticGamer Master Astronaut

So...if they are going give us the beta though email or though code we have to write down into website to have the download to correct if I am wrong or right? It it is email, I am bit ok, but I prefer link to my steam account. If it have to be code write down, they better link that to my steam account. Same thing as my user name for my steam account. Accept I don't have my Fus Ro Blah picture, it would be keyblade sword I drew in art.

Anyway, if stage 3 fail, it either give the ppl a free program they can used or either that let buyer have java, flash, and few other program it need to be install to run though thous windows so it doesn't really cause too much an issue what program they can run on.

7. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

As you know there are three stages; each more stable than the last. The first is very buggy and unstable (to the point where saves may be lost). The second will be more feature complete and stable, but still bugs to find. The third will essentially be a leadup to the full release.

Now, for which stage you play, all you basically do is just start playing whenever it's open. You can jump in as soon as stage 1 is ready, or wait a while for stages 2 and 3 to come around. You don't need to sign up for a particular stage or anything.

8. Lomi

Lomi 2.7182818284590...

I would imagine you can even just wait until Beta 1 is a little more developed and then join in. Nothing to say you have to start on opening day or wait until Beta 2.

Myself, that is exactly what i will do. The first day of release for Betas are usually very chaotic and unsuccessful as it refuses to work on the 1000's if combinations of hardware out there. After a few days the hotfixs usually sort that out. No point in being in the frustrated testers section when a little patience will circumnavigate that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.