Dev Blog [STABLE] Glad Giraffe Hotfix + Dev Blog!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Hello!

A hotfix was pushed today for a very specific issue.

• If your game crashed between completion of one quest and pressing the button to accept another quest, it could make you unable to complete the main quest line. Now it doesn't do that!
    Shortest changelog ever!

[​IMG]With Glad Giraffe, we temporarily removed the ability to capture monsters because the system wasn't quite working properly and we needed a bit more time to get it up to scratch. Currently, you can only capture critters. But this is changin'! Here's how:

• You'll be able to tell your capture pods apart! Capture pod tooltips will contain information about the monster inhabiting them.
    • Craft capture pods at the capture pod station, and heal your pet at the pet healing station.
    • You don't need to kill your pet to put it back in its capture pod! You can instead throw the same capture pod again to recall the pet.
    ^ One for @TheStrangeLog, I think.

'Til next time! <3

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  2. davidlolcat

davidlolcat Subatomic Cosmonaut

Excellent! I recently found the challenge that forced me to choose between a bunny rabbit and kitty cat. And then I couldn't even capture it! I did get a kitty cat hat tho. But next time. NEXT TIME!!! My room full of cats will happen.

3. Costyyy

Costyyy Void-Bound Voyager

Why even the smallest of the updates have over 100 mb?

baconsama25 and jj200275 like this.
  4. Sinaku

Sinaku Void-Bound Voyager

It's great you can tell pets apart via the pods now. I'm assuming signs are next?

5. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

Best change. I saw this on an undocumented nightly a while ago, and I pitched a bit of a tent. I love Pokemon, and this is similar enough. I'm glad this is getting updated. Still waiting on them fossils though!

Of course, this means I now have to make my own capture pod model and healing station for my mod.

EDIT

I FOUND FOSSILS IN THE CURRENT NIGHTLY! AND NOT PLACEHOLDERS! JOKER'S GOT NOTHING ON THE SMILE I HAVE RIGHT NOW. Far from perfect, and some items look like shrunk down JPG files, but hey; it's a start!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    jasonzoo123 and jj200275 like this.
  6. iBurresgate

iBurresgate Space Hobo

My game crashed when I was walking around the outpost and my universe (bookmarks, worlds) reset, can I do anything to fix that? thx
    btw love the new way of using capture pods

7. Sinaku

Sinaku Void-Bound Voyager

It could be any number of things. It could be a significant amount of assets/coding need to be overwritten to fix even a small issue. It might contain instructions for moving around files in addition to new updates. It may be cumulative with prior updates so that if you didn't get those yet, you don't have to get them all one at a time. It could be that the update includes stealth assets for future updates. If you're not a coder, trust me, there's always a lot more going on behind the scenes than it looks like.

8. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Ooooohhhh sweet! now I just need a mod that recolours the pods red to...

[​IMG]

9. yay855

yay855 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

When are you guys going to fix the lag issue? It's so bad I can't play it despite having a good computer. It was one thing with the outpost, but this is ridiculous; I can't even play on an uninhabited planet!

10. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

wow thanks guys that is cool to see the monsters in the pod(um that sounded sarcastic but it wasen't meant as that)

just something about the poptops yeah i know that its early progress sorry for nagging by the way you know how it is

can you guys plz fixs the poptops too one day they arn't behaving anything at all like they are intended to behave like (yeah i know that that might be hard to program but i know you guys can do it) also they are waaaaaaay to easy to kill atleast give them more health they are suppose to be cute,creepy and scary as hell and acting like harmless creatures like the creeper from minecraft creeping up on you from behind when your not looking also while we are talking about the capturing pod it dosen't say that they are impossible to capture it says that if you do manage to capture one then your gonna a bad time (undertale ref)
    also shouldent there be a medium size poptop too, there are pictures of it at the poptop thread swallowing a guy and chewing on him (maybe make it so it spits out the player afther some time)

also love every thing you guys have don so far to the game
    i still miss a few things from the early beta but ohter then that its very fun to play

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  11. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Oh thank god!

Years of blowing up my cute little lizard pets in order to stuff their charred remains back inside a pod have left mental scars that may never heal. Oh, god... the smell of roasted iguana meat still lingers... and it makes me hungry...

I'm glad I no longer have to go through this again!

Corraidhín likes this.
  12. EightApes

EightApes Void-Bound Voyager

This is great news! I've been dying to have one of those shark dogs as a pet.

Out of curiosity, are captured pets going to eventually fill the pet slot on the inventory/character menu, or is that for something else?

jasonzoo123 and LemonLeman like this.
  13. SheepySheep

SheepySheep Void-Bound Voyager

Gotta Catch Em All ehhh? :p[DOUBLEPOST=1450297376][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Play the game without Steam Overlay, fixes most of the lagg problems for me, Or just wait for the polish update, sure they will fix it with that update

14. WhiteCrowRus

WhiteCrowRus Void-Bound Voyager

I wanted to ask, when will be back the Pulse Rifles? I love it

15. TheGlitchKing

TheGlitchKing Subatomic Cosmonaut

So, the random monsters have been replaced with the unique ones, meaning a similar cast of monsters across every planet of the same type.
    How....
    Unfortunate.
    When Starbounders wish for a more realistic (to a certain extent) experience, necessitating varying groups of animals on each unique planet,
    Things will change.
    When the people of the galaxy realize that their biodiversity has been sold for ease of coding,
    Things will change.
    When the players see that the randomized monsters were one of the features that really differentiated the game from Terraria and so forth,
    Things will change.
    When the Glitch Hegemony appoints a conservative to Rex Geararrum,
    Things will Change.
    And I will be there.
    And I will laugh.

16. Juxtor

Juxtor Phantasmal Quasar

Things are certainly going in the right direction.

I agree that over using pre fab monsters in lieu of the random ones isn't gonna hold up. I like the monsters, but would prefer more effort was put into making interesting, diverse and cool looking procedural ones.

I would also like to see methods that allow survival on worlds other than the implant given during linear quest progression. All worlds should be explorable without doing canned quests (although it's ok if the result is more rough around the edges than the sexy "does it all" implant)

Little bug: if you use pressure plates to open a door (I've been using the Apex security door when I found this) it is possible to be standing directly on the door when it closes effectively trapping you inside it with no way to get out (except teleporting)

Wish list: go back to more involved smelting etc rather than the crafting table method and implement Starfoundry type machinery so we can make cool processing setups. Complete with the power systems, piping, sorting and other industrial methods there. I love being able to wire up complicated and useful systems for ore processing, farming, mining environmental. The more the better.

TheGlitchKing likes this.
  17. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

... I'm still seeing plenty of parts-mix monsters on each planet. Usually at least two types on the surface alone, more once you go underground. (Birds seem to have gone away tho.)

Mind you, I've been advocating an expansion of the parts listings, more biome-specific parts pools, and more variety of form for part-made monsters for a while now. A solid mix of uniques (largely tied to biomes) and varied parts-monsters is ideal.

Tamorr and TheGlitchKing like this.
  18. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Gotta catch them all! (I wonder how many monsters there are in starbound if you take into account every possible combination of parts and colors and even abilities on that :D)

19. GreamMeakel

GreamMeakel Void-Bound Voyager

Hello AWESOME people,

I have a QoL request - the storage of player goods (stuff we store in chest/containers) needs a lot of love, and in my opinion, we need it sooner than later.

Ether A) build in some sort of smart container that sorts out goods, links with other containers near by and allows the use of items while at a crafting table.
    Or :cool: do the same thing but with the ship storage. Like each time we update the ship, we get more storage and better features.

20. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Because we're still shipping with debugging symbols, because tracebacks are extremely useful for us. And because Steam's delta algorithm doesn't play nicely with executables.

Dunto, M_Sipher and Kawa like this.