1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Squids in Space: A Splatoon Mod V3.1 ~ Hotfixes ii

A species mod based off of Nintendo's Splatoon.

1. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

That's a really cool idea-- I'll have to look at them a little closer when I have the time to work on tentacle styles! I sorta, admittedly, forgot about them.
    Hairstyles, maybe some album covers to hang on the wall. I'll have to put out more music-related stuff in the next update, because it's as much a part of Inkling culture as is turfing.

2. icetail0912

icetail0912 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Might I suggest adding the Squidvader Cap at some point, if possible?

3. Marinebeast

Can do! Hats are my favorite thing to add, honestly, I'm just not always sure which ones. C:

4. Coricus

Coricus Subatomic Cosmonaut

So I thought back to the veeeery first suggestion I remember ever making here, and. . .well. . .these aren't in any usable condition, there's a lack of proper shading and a few design flaws like wrong color outlines and stuff and there's probably some other problems with them I'm not even noticing, it was just an attempt to see if I could make it look halfway decent as a sort of proof of concept.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

On one hand as soon as I started I knew it wasn't going to go nearly as well as I was hoping, but on the other hand it at least turned out much better than I was worried about immediately after I started? The dark blue with cotton candy splotches sections on the one is meant to remain the same color even when applying color changes to the rest of the tentacles. The red splotches on the other are actually MEANT to not reach the outer edges of the tentacles, since they're supposed to be oval spots on that one instead of the usual Inkling dipped tips.

And as a bonus. . .

[​IMG]I thought it would look really good in peppermint.

Just thought I'd try to draw up what I had in mind when I suggested that forever ago since I doubt anyone can read my mind on what I was picturing and that was before I actually thought to sprite anything.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    2nd Lieutenant Raoni likes this.
  5. Marinebeast

Oh, that blue accent's an interesting touch! For all the firefly squids that happen to have a bit of blue on them even if the rest of their colors are funny.
    Unchanging tentacle colors aren't anything new, there's all the hairstyles I've got that have the undersides of the tentacles showing up white.

I'll see what I can make those into, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to implement them. ^ u^

6. Coricus

I thought the blue accent looked neat, that's part of what caught my eye.

Teeeeechnically they're both supposed to be references to squids/unidentifiable cephalopods from another Nintendo game (hint: same genre and same decade as Splatoon, actually), but since the orange one was a generic enemy and the brown one was about the least plot important boss in that game I doubt many people would know that's what inspired it. Looks unique, though, which is part of why I suggested them. The blue parts on the cephalopod I was inspired by for that one were actually ANIMATED, but LOL that's definitely a bit much. . . .the game had an octopus enemy, too, but their tentacles and design didn't seem fitting enough of Splatoon since there wasn't enough to it.

7. Marinebeast

Kid Icarus: Uprising, wasn't it? ;)

Anyways...

[​IMG][​IMG]

Looking pretty fresh! I still need to do an edit or so to the base images so that the blue accents are more consistent, but otherwise, they fit in well.

Unrelated, but the next update'll feature a custom respawn animation. I've got the early version of it working, but it's fairly short compared to the templates I'm working with -- roughly 45 frames compared to 100 or so. So it's still under a lot of work and testing, but I like what I'm doing with it so far.
    It's probably exactly what you expect, but I like it a lot. I might use an asset or two from it as a placeable object later on...

Also, because contributions are happening, I slapped together a little .zip of templates for various assets.

It includes the head sprite (for hair or hats), a shirt & sleeves templates, and pants templates! Everything here's to size, be free to draw over them to make whatever. You don't have to resize anything, just stick to the scale of the templates because Starbound scales its sprites about 300% for game use.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    Coricus likes this.
  8. Coricus

Thank you very much for the sharing the templates! I was curious about those.

. . .Upon opening them up I became very torn between wanting to use them to make a cool outfit and being daunted by the sheer amount of work needed for a shirt or pants to work properly, LOL. It's pretty obvious why you love hats and don't even want to touch the Power Armor. You definitely put a ton of work into everything.

. . .Although SPEAKING of hats, it dawned on me that I could take one of those references even further. So. . .I made these glasses.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Modeled after the Galactic Fiend Kraken's eyes. Now you too can be the terror of the galactic seas! Prey may include Space Pirates and chickens. And by chickens I mean Pit.

And those. . .also animated in Uprising. Yeah that was kind of a glittery cephalopod. I'm guessing it was either supposed to vaguely resemble stars or just have a "space" look to it in those spots.

As a bonus it would make for another accessory that wouldn't cover up your tentacles.

*EDIT* The Dynamo Roller has two different crafting recipes.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    Marinebeast likes this.
  9. Marinebeast

10. XelSlime

XelSlime Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is anyone else having any problems? I'm getting issues like these:

Code:
    [23:20:22.145] [Error] Exception caught loading asset: /items/armors/inkling/galactickraken/inklinggkrakenspecs.head,
    (AssetException) Could not read JSON asset /items/armors/inkling/galactickraken/inklinggkrakenspecs.head

[44] 7ffe3cb95e91 RtlUserThreadStart

Caused by: (JsonParsingException) Error parsing json: bad array, should be ',' or ']' at 18:3

[23:20:23.288] [Error] Application: exception thrown, shutting down:
    (ItemException) Could not load item asset /items/armors/inkling/galactickraken/inklinggkrakenspecs.head
    Gimme a moment and I'll run the game again before linking a log file.

Here we go. While I don't like errors any more than anyone else, I hope I'm not alone in this. I tried with and without the mod, and with n' without another thing I'm working on. The game only auto-closes when Squids in Space is subscribed to.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  11. Marinebeast

... Oh boy.

Looks like there was a comma out of place-- I probably should've checked the parsing on that item. I have no idea how that happened, but, well, it happens.

I'll fix that, just a moment.

12. XelSlime

XelSlime Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Those pesky commas. Hehe.

Oh, a note from Chopan to me to you for future issues. An "em dash" is also capable of causing client ship world errors. We found that out when I used that type of dash in a race ship object description. I thought to use it at first 'cause it seemed right for what was being said. Guess it's used in coding somehow.

Marinebeast likes this.
  13. Marinebeast

And now that's fixed.

That's.. a weird error, but I'll keep that in mind and go digging to make sure to take them all out. Thank you for the heads-up!

14. Coricus

Alright, time to try the new stuff!

It seems like the female Inkling has a bald head instead of the "Commyloose" style that I made. The male Inkling has that tentacle style, though.

And to note on the above, I have in fact noticed Starbound shutting down automatically when I try to boot it up for quite some time now, if that's related. If I boot it up a second time it functions as normal, though. Let me see if I can pull up some .logs for you. . .the times it shuts down should be these smaller ones, right? They seem like they're logged into the right spots to be it.

[22:38:01.529] [Info] Root: Preparing Root...
    [22:38:01.542] [Info] Root: Done preparing Root.
    [22:38:01.543] [Info] Client Version 1.1.1 (windows x86_64) Source ID: 82604f6097b124f2ed38ee58a7ae18c51e916dd8 Protocol: 724
    [22:38:01.543] [Info] Root: Scanning for asset sources in directory '..\assets\'
    [22:38:02.727] [Info] Root: Scanning for asset sources in directory '..\mods\'
    [22:38:02.728] [Warn] Root: Unrecognized file in asset directory 'mods_go_here', skipping
    [22:38:02.731] [Info] Root: Detected asset source named 'base' at '..\assets\packed.pak'
    [22:38:02.732] [Info] Root: Detected unnamed asset source at '..\assets\user'
    [22:38:02.742] [Info] Loading assets from: '..\assets\packed.pak'
    [22:38:03.921] [Info] Loading assets from: '..\assets\user'
    [22:38:06.015] [Info] Assets digest is 528b64eb591f6ac8439856bcd1ac129fc705daadc48cbff8f884a97941457a32
    [22:38:06.015] [Info] Root: Loaded Assets in 4.47276 seconds
    [22:38:06.084] [Info] Application: Initializing SDL Video
    [22:38:06.099] [Info] Application: Initializing SDL Joystick
    [22:38:06.355] [Info] Application: Initializing SDL Sound
    [22:38:06.531] [Info] Initialized Steam services
    [22:38:06.532] [Info] Application: Creating SDL Window
    [22:38:07.532] [Info] Application: Enabling VSync with late swap tearing
    [22:38:07.697] [Info] Application: Opened default audio device with 44.1khz / 16 bit stereo audio, 2048 sample size buffer
    [22:38:07.798] [Info] OpenGL version: '4.5.13399 Compatibility Profile Context 15.201.1101.0' vendor: 'ATI Technologies Inc.' renderer: 'AMD Radeon(TM) R4 Graphics' shader: '4.40'
    [22:38:07.847] [Info] Application: initialization...
    [22:38:07.925] [Info] Root: Loaded Configuration in 0.034533 seconds
    [22:38:07.932] [Info] Application: renderer initialization...

[09:05:57.525] [Info] Root: Preparing Root...
    [09:05:57.527] [Info] Root: Done preparing Root.
    [09:05:57.527] [Info] Client Version 1.1.1 (windows x86_64) Source ID: 82604f6097b124f2ed38ee58a7ae18c51e916dd8 Protocol: 724
    [09:05:57.527] [Info] Root: Scanning for asset sources in directory '..\assets\'
    [09:05:58.549] [Info] Root: Scanning for asset sources in directory '..\mods\'
    [09:05:58.549] [Warn] Root: Unrecognized file in asset directory 'mods_go_here', skipping
    [09:05:58.549] [Info] Root: Detected asset source named 'base' at '..\assets\packed.pak'
    [09:05:58.549] [Info] Root: Detected unnamed asset source at '..\assets\user'
    [09:05:58.549] [Info] Loading assets from: '..\assets\packed.pak'
    [09:05:59.744] [Info] Loading assets from: '..\assets\user'
    [09:06:01.974] [Info] Assets digest is 528b64eb591f6ac8439856bcd1ac129fc705daadc48cbff8f884a97941457a32
    [09:06:02.007] [Info] Root: Loaded Assets in 4.44695 seconds
    [09:06:02.169] [Info] Application: Initializing SDL Video
    [09:06:02.270] [Info] Application: Initializing SDL Joystick
    [09:06:02.673] [Info] Application: Initializing SDL Sound
    [09:06:03.127] [Info] Initialized Steam services
    [09:06:03.152] [Info] Application: Creating SDL Window
    [09:06:09.407] [Info] Application: Enabling VSync with late swap tearing
    [09:06:09.960] [Info] Application: Opened default audio device with 44.1khz / 16 bit stereo audio, 2048 sample size buffer
    [09:06:10.272] [Info] OpenGL version: '4.5.13399 Compatibility Profile Context 15.201.1101.0' vendor: 'ATI Technologies Inc.' renderer: 'AMD Radeon(TM) R4 Graphics' shader: '4.40'
    [09:06:10.520] [Info] Application: initialization...

I don't see anything more specific than it saying there's an unrecognized file in the mod asset directory, which seems. . .not the most helpful, but that seems to be what happens when it crashes.

*EDIT* Well the Galactic Kraken specs don't have an inventory sprite, but since I gave that to you yesterday and I feel a little guilty about how much I keep making you make those that's not such a big deal. I should probably check the other shops just in case, though. . .

. . .Well it turns out there is something else with it's inventory sprite not displaying, and it's an old friend of ours. It seems like the Grape Tee is STILL being ornery.

*EDIT EDIT* Nothing else wrong for now, I just have a suggestion for a music themed update. I know people can mod the game so that you can play new songs on the instruments, so adding Splatoon music might be a good idea if it's the kind of modding that's easy enough to figure out. It makes sense to be able to play Calamari Inkantation if you're an Inkling since it's so ingrained in their culture, after all.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  15. Marinebeast

I'm experiencing the same crashes, actually. Not sure why or what they're doing.
    Later tonight, I'll see if they're related to my mod in any way, but they don't really give any insight into what's happening.. so it might just be the game being funky.

I'll look at the weird tentacle style (sounds like a graphic problem, easy to fix) and the missing icons. I already made the Galactic Kraken Specs' icon, it's probably just misaligned or the item file isn't pointing at the right section. And yeah, the Grape Tee... nasty little thing. It's almost more trouble than it's worth, but I like it and don't want to remove any clothes. I'll poke it too.

And that's a cool idea, especially as part of a music-themed update! I did want to do more cultural stuff in terms of objects, so that'd fit well.
    It probably shouldn't be too hard to take a look at other music mods and figure out how to convert sound files.
    And if I can't figure out how to get an .ABC file of things, I could always make a jukebox/radio that plays a .MIDI version of it.

Coricus likes this.
  16. Coricus

I don't know if it's because an item from another mod is messing up or if something funky is just going on in general, but I tried to feed my Dragon Slug pet something and it started endlessly looping in it's animation of running towards the food to eat it. Got in and out of my game and it was still looping where I left it.

*checks log size to see how much I'm going to have to copy-paste*

*over 100 KB*

Oooooh that's not good. That's not good at all. D:

I'll. . .see if I can upload it as a file instead this time.

Attached Files:

17. Marinebeast

Hmm hmm hmm.
    Yeah, that's definitely not supposed to be happening. I'll get on it, it'll be worthy enough of a hotfix update and then I can toss the other fixes in there too. =u=;

Post-testing Edit: Alright, after a lot of lag and me realizing how little food I have on my test character, I can confirm that the Dragon Slugs are eating food just fine without being stuck in animation loops on my end. This might be because I did a quick refresh of the coding by pulling from vanilla assets, this might be a mod conflict on your side of things, I don't really know, but I didn't get any of the errors in that gigantic log.

In other news, the Kraken Specs are fixed now (missed an S in "Icons"), and... well, it's not throwing errors for the Grape Tee when I boot the game up, but that might just be because it's not active as an item anywhere.

Edit 2: Grape Tee's been fixed. 8)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  18. Coricus

Hopefully this turned out OK, I haven't tried to make a proper sprite in a while and I've been feeling off lately, and this was something where I was particularly unsure what shade I should make the shading due to what it was, but I've had a little idea for a while. . .

[​IMG]

I always had this idea that the only reason I didn't make the vending machine myself was that someone else already said they might, but that whenever it happened it might be a good idea to make the actual drinks inside of it into food items. So, here's my attempt at the one that's in the upper-left of the vending machines in Inkopolis. I. . .am not sure of what the contents are of anything in that machine, I just guessed this one might be milk while drawing it because of the color. *looks up* . . .Well it seems to be fermented milk, actually, and usually watered down. Comes in both uncarbonated and carbonated versions when sold pre-bottled and not as a mix.

The name seems to be a trademark, though. And altered when exported to some countries because it accidentally sounds. . .unfortunate. Here's the Wikipedia article.

*EDIT 2 DAYS LATER*

MARINEBEAST OH MY GOSH

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think you definitely have some inspiration for new tentacle styles now.

*understatement*

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    Marinebeast likes this.
  19. icetail0912

icetail0912 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh goodness me those undercut-esque styles more like my dreams have all come true.

20. Marinebeast

I can't get over the tower-of-tentacle-donuts on that one green inkling's head. It's like. Do you get radio / phone reception with that thing?

I'm seriously digging all of these, though, and I'll see what I can do about getting them into the next update. Not having a full turnaround reference is kinda difficult, but.. well. A lot of these are nice and simple and not too hard to work with.

GET HYPE, IT'S HAPPENING

(also, pants, gloves, and new weapons, hello)

2nd Lieutenant Raoni and Coricus like this.