Spriting?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by LazerEagle1, Mar 3, 2012.

1. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

Can somebody help me with spriting? I use photoshop, but how many pixels should it be? Like, to make a mount? Can you just give me some examples? I wanna sprite stuff but I suck at it.

2. Tiger

Tiger Phantasmal Quasar

Well...um...I guess they could be any size...Most people zoom in a lot so its easier to see the pixels, but I'm not so grand at it myself -- I'm probably not the best to give advice :oops:
    Maybe you could look at one of the deer/horse thingies as reference while you do it. Sorry if this didn't help...

3. LazerEagle1

Nah you helped a lot :). It's just, I'm a lot better at drawing than Spriting.

4. deebee396

deebee396 Aquatic Astronaut

I had a had a look at some of the screenshots in Photoshop, http://playstarbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/deer.png the white one there is 50x43px, so 64 x 64px would probably be an appropriate size, as most video game graphics are drawn in resolutions that are powers of two (although it really doesn't matter unless you plan on having your art used for mods etc. in the future.) The characters seem to be about 32 x 32. Hope that helps. :)

Edit: Also thought I'd mention that the mech is a 100 x 100 file, so that kind of goes against my original post o_O

Edit 2: If you haven't already switch image interpolation to nearest neighbour in Photoshop, that will stop your pixel art from getting blurry if you use transform to rotate or resize it. Go to 'Edit > Preferences > General, and you should see a drop down list, its the 3rd option from the top. If your on mac I think Preferences in under the 'Photoshop' option rather than 'Edit'. And if your working with non-pixel art then you might want to go back to using one of the others. :) Good luck.

Edit 3: A character template I found somewhere else on the forums.
    [​IMG]

5. LazerEagle1

KK thanks! I was annoyed because my drawing blurried when I upscaled them.

6. LazerEagle1

I dont see it. I dont see the interpolation options.

7. deebee396

deebee396 Aquatic Astronaut

8. LazerEagle1

OHHH, im using elements 8.