1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Sporadic frame drops / lag v1.3.2

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Der_Schwarm, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Der_Schwarm

Der_Schwarm Void-Bound Voyager

Recently I experience weird lags in Starbound, manifesting themselves in the game freezing noticeable for a moment and then resuming normally. Blocks that are placed during this time all appear at once when the lag is over, when falling you take fall damage after the lag is over etc. Monsters can surpass your attacks during this moment etc. . I can also observe 10-25fps less during these lags while otherwise the game stays at 62. While I believe the drops are heavier when visiting an area with placed objects that get loaded in, they also happen seemingly at random, only when standing still there is no visibly or measureable lag.

I tried single player with 2 machines, multiplayer on the same 2 machines and with a server, with and without mods, all the same result, I will list the specs below.

Machine 1 (Desktop) :

CPU : i5-6600

RAM : 16GB

GPU : nvidia GTX980 4GB

HDD : Tried with the game running on an Wester Digital Caviar Black as well as Green

Machine 2 (Laptop) :

CPU : i5-6200U

RAM : 8GB

GPU : Intel HD Graphics 520 (integrated GPU / ACU)

HDD : Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB

Server (virtual Server) :

CPU : Common KVM processor 3.70GHZ, 2 Cores

RAM : 4GB​

I notices a spike in HDD-activity during the laggs which is why I tested it with the SSD of my laptop, though there wasn’t any difference. As I said, the problem occurs on M1 / M2 when playing single player as well as when playing multiplayer, hosting on M1 / M2 or on the Server, no matter if it is a clean install, modded, steam version or the no-steam humble version. I might try hosting on a linux server later, but I doubt to see any difference. When playing on a server with a friend, the issue seems to be worse and we usually encounter the laggs at the same time.

So far I tried:

clean install

steam / no steam version

activating / deactivating v-sync via nvidia panel / config, though even with deactivated vSync maxFPS stayed 62

running / not running as admin

using / not using DPI scaling

windowed / borderless window / fullscreen mode

removing / using D3Dcompiler_47.dll / opengl32sw.dll

unticking connect via IP / steam friends

enabling / disabling thread optimization in nvidia panel

renderSleep true / false

reparing / reinstalling VCredistributable

waitForUpdate true / false

My guess is that stuff gets loaded in when these lags happen, either monsters underground or in fact structures that are close to you, but I might be wrong on that. I also feel like my desktop should be able to handle this and I am pretty sure this is a new issue for me. Haven’t played much of starbound in a long time though, so I can’t really say if it started with 1.3, but since there are people who don’t encounter these problems, I was hoping for some ideas how to fix this. As you see by the things I already tried, I already searched around but lots of it seems to be from the alpha/beta days. I thought about tinkering around with the scriptsettings in the starbound.config, if someone has some experience with that or can point me in a direction I would appreciate it.