[Spoilers!] The "ultimate" Protectorate weapon is underwhelming

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by SnowKate709, Jul 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SnowKate709

SnowKate709 Subatomic Cosmonaut

So the Broken Broadsword. You get it at the beginning of the game and it's pretty..okay. The damage is a matter of "anything you find in chests will be a better upgrade", which is fine since you can shelf it for later. You get a feeling that it might be useful at some point, so you do.

You can, if you like, save up some tech chips, and later you can learn that the Glitch Baron can fix Protectorate weapons. Well it so happens you also have a broken broadsword. Awesome! So you have him fix it, and get a brand new amazing DPS sword, The Protectorate Broadsword! ...Except that it's completely plain, and besides having pretty high damage, there's no real reason to use it over, say, the Solus Katana you got from Nox, or another weapon you can pick up from bosses.

It feels like, for being what is definitely a guaranteed "ultimate" weapon of the game if you played your cards smart, just having an uppercut attack for an alternate is incredibly underwhelming and silly in comparison to, say, explosive kunai, or one of the random abilities that other swords can have like the trail dash, or flying slashes.

It needs a special ability with lot more kick to make it feel more like a final weapon, a penultimate reward for storing away what you figured was a piece of trash, and bringing it back to its' former glory.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  2. TanzNukeTerror

TanzNukeTerror Ketchup Robot

I'd like, instead of an upward slash, a forward one. Maybe that's just me, though. Or even a targeted slash. Where you lock on to an enemy, and slash towards that enemy. Aren't there guns that act similar? It'd probably be an ordeal and a half to code, but would be pretty badass.

3. SnowKate709

SnowKate709 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yeah there is, the Sniper Rifle's marked shot can lock onto enemies and fires a shot that hits every enemy as long as they're in view of each other. That also does bring up a point that broadswords are pretty useless once the enemy is even a block below you since the arc is purely upward. It'd be great to be able to fix that in some capacity.

4. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

You folks may want to check the nightly version today and the rest of the coming days. Seems like the protector sword got an update(or tweaks): http://helmet.kafuka.org/sbmods/diffs/20160704.txt

[NEW] items\active\weapons\melee\broadsword\swoosh\protectorswoosh.png
    items\active\weapons\melee\broadsword\swoosh2\energyswoosh.png (probably for the Violum broadsword rather than the protector's)
    [NEW] items\active\weapons\melee\broadsword\swoosh2\protectorswoosh.png
    items\active\weapons\melee\broadsword\swoosh3\energyswoosh.png (probably for the Violum broadsword rather than the protector's)
    [NEW] items\active\weapons\melee\broadsword\swoosh3\protectorswoosh.png

NEW] items\active\weapons\protectorate\protectoratebroadsword\default.frames
    [NEW] items\active\weapons\protectorate\protectoratebroadsword\empowerment.lua
    [NEW] items\active\weapons\protectorate\protectoratebroadsword\protectoratebroadsword.activeitem
    [NEW] items\active\weapons\protectorate\protectoratebroadsword\protectoratebroadsword.animation
    [NEW] items\active\weapons\protectorate\protectoratebroadsword\protectoratebroadsword.lua
    [NEW] items\active\weapons\protectorate\protectoratebroadsword\protectoratebroadsword.png
    [NEW] items\active\weapons\protectorate\protectoratebroadsword\protectoratebroadswordfullbright.png

Possibly not the only items to get tweaks, in fact, I spotted these at the same time:
    items\active\weapons\protectorate\aegisaltbow\aegisaltbow.activeitem (interesting to see the aeisalt bow listed under "protectorate"?)

items\active\weapons\melee\meleecombo.lua
    [NEW] items\active\weapons\melee\abilities\broadsword\flipslash\default.frames
    [NEW] items\active\weapons\melee\abilities\broadsword\flipslash\flipslash.lua
    [NEW] items\active\weapons\melee\abilities\broadsword\flipslash\flipslash.weaponability
    [NEW] items\active\weapons\melee\abilities\broadsword\flipslash\physicalswoosh.png
    (new "flipslash" ability? whatever that is)

In other news.... holy hell the amount of new crafting recipes for building blocks. Things are getting iiiiiiinteresting(they already were, but seriously moreso now!)

Inf_Wolf14 likes this.
  5. Hiroku

Hiroku Void-Bound Voyager

if anything i think this sword would need somthing like solus katana, the explosive kunai, but a version that locks on and follows the enemy, or maybe the dash the boss uses during the fight. anyone else agree?

6. LostSeeker

LostSeeker Subatomic Cosmonaut

In its current state right now, the Protectorate broadsword can hit like a freight train when you activate its empowerment special. Right click again when empowered, and it'll expel the charge in front of you as a wave of energy that can drive through multiple foes in a role, similar to the Flying Slash elemental broadswords are known to do.

Keep in mind that this is a VERY power hungry sword, as with T6 Separator armor, it drains my power bar completely when I discharge the empower in front of me. This has led to a tactic of empowering, effing up the enemy as bad as possible with sword combo strikes, then expelling the charge on it before it drains my energy completely to hit the enemy AND everything behind him.

As for that flipslash ability on the Violium broadsword, it catapults yourself forward as you repeatedly somersault forward, sword extended. Basically turns you into a flying sawblade, which can be quite deadly against large swarms of enemies, even flying ones if you can get a good position to fling yourself at the flyer. The Protectorate broadsword still does more damage overall, ESPECIALLY when you activate its empowered mode.

7. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

who says its the ultimate? its just a repaired standard.

STCW262 likes this.
  8. LostSeeker

LostSeeker Subatomic Cosmonaut

Apparently the Baron added his personal touch to the thing, or that making weapons THAT strong is childsplay for the Protectorate. Either way, it still hurts like heck when you make it go lightsaber mode.

9. fueselwe

fueselwe Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i was hoping that the protectors broadsword would be an energy sword, but since it will drain your energy when you activate it, i was disappointed

10. fueselwe

id like that the sword would be like a regular energy sword and instead of the empowerment maybe some kind of overload or something, but thats just my opinion

11. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

In my opinion, the post-empower special should be something a bit more dramatic than Flying Slash Except Exactly Like Flying Slash.

Here's my idea: After the sword is empowered, you right click, and your character leaps into the air, holding the sword overhead. Although the height of the jump is fixed, the horizontal speed scales with the horizontal distance of the cursor from the player, in such a way that the player can sort of aim it, with the very middle of the extended sword landing right about where you put the cursor. When you hit the ground, it creates a large blue explosion which covers 10 tiles in all directions, followed up by an even larger blue shockwave that covers an additional 20 tiles (30 tiles of total crunchy, chocolatey AoE goodness!) The explosion does 200 base damage (AKA "Completely destroys everything"), and while the shockwave only does 40 base damage, it inflicts Slowed and Electrified for 20 seconds and does insane knockback. In case that isn't spectacular and OP enough, the explosion could send out arcing, gravity-effected blue fireballs that burst into smaller explosions on impact.

I know it'll never happen in vanilla, but it'd make for one Kluexly mod.

...Please? Mod? Anybody? You've gotta understand, that was like describing the world's best possible meatball sandwich in painstaking detail while hungry and unable to find any meatballs.

12. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

no it was not, it was just like a michael bay rework of a movie :p

13. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

Explosions always make video game weapons better though. Like, always. The more explosions they spawn, the better. The bigger each individual explosion is, the better. When will I finally get to live out my ridiculously improbable sci-fi power fantasy?!

14. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

you cna just dualwield grenade launchers or thos esummoning staffs where bubbles come out they all are great for explosions. and i mostly use these + rocket launchers in the game anways. because those booms are dooms.

so whats the difference between the boomstick and the doomstick? the side on which you are standing of it.

15. fueselwe

Maybe you could scrap the empowerment, make the sword a standard energy sword, and instead of the empowerment, you jump in the air and the character makes a roundhouse slash which sends a shockwave similar to the normal slash

16. Hinu Hyuga

Hinu Hyuga Space Hobo

It's the only tier 7 weapon in the game atm. That's why it's an ultimate.

17. akluex

akluex Orbital Explorer

Protector's Broadsword needs to be upgradeable at a "weapon upgrade anvil", empowerment be permanent and the alt ability some powerful attack!

[​IMG]