Spawning Items

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Wolfchops, May 1, 2013.

1. Wolfchops

Wolfchops Industrial Terraformer

After seeing a video of "Morp" playing Starbound

I'm wondering if players can just simply spawn in items in Singleplayer. Not that I would want this (because in term it is cheating) but one can just simply type in /spawn glitchtier10chest :down: And boom, high tier equipment at your disposal!

Can and will this be removed? In my opinion I don't like the idea that you can just spawn in items it just takes away the fun and exploration of gathering the required materials to craft them. Or, is this presumably a testing feature for the upcoming Beta?

Any thoughts, discuss. :)

2. This is likely to be removed in SinglePlayer. It's more likely than Tiy is running a server and not playing in Singleplayer, as there is Server Messages in it's streams.

Now in servers, owners / mods, will likely have access to that commands! Like Terraria server MODs ;)

3. Wolfchops

Wolfchops Industrial Terraformer

But can't you just open up a server, spawn in items and re-visit that world in Singleplayer?

4. If you run your server, spawn items and go back to multiplayer, that's possible. But there's nothing that can avoid it, with MOD support people can always tweak such things to cheat. But since servers can force you like to create a new char that saves server-side to play on them, that will be fixed and your gameplay wont be affected by people spawning items and cheating!

5. Ruin

Ruin Existential Complex

I don't see the problem with this being in Single-Player. Sure they can skip an enormous amount of progression, but that doesn't really matter. If they come on a sever for new characters, just kick them. There will be hackers no matter what, so what's the harm of leaving *most* commands in the Single-Player? I'm not saying that it'll even be in the Single-Player, because I can surely say that it will be removed upon Beta/Release, that is, assuming it was even there to begin with.

6. Exkaiser

Exkaiser Big Damn Hero

Yes, but that's really up to the player. If someone wants to cheat to get materials for their single-player game, it's really on them. If they're really dedicated to cheating, they're going to cheat regardless of whether the server commands support them or not.

7. Malzakor

Malzakor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Whats the point of cheating in a single player game that literally takes all the fun and challenge out of it.

Alternatus and MasterCreate66 like this.
  8. Ruin

Ruin Existential Complex

"Fun" is subjective, and not everyone enjoys challenges. You can play your games for challenge, but whenever a game makes itself easier, everyone freaks out as if it was a crime against nature.

krisst and Xefs like this.
  9. Quizok

Quizok Subatomic Cosmonaut

Idk why are you even asking this. Of course it will not be available, it is now cuz they are devs and they test stuff. Having spawn cmds will only take away the fun of the game.

10. Kirby64

Kirby64 Space Kumquat

He asked it because he had a question.
    Now, on topic, they do need to test the game.
    Even if this is not in the final game in single player, there will always be modders, hackers...
    It's unavoidable. So maybe, maybe not.
    I really can't answer. You'll have to wait for the beta/final game to come out... for that question to be answerable.

11. Regal Kain

Regal Kain Space Kumquat

I forgot where I posted it, but so long as Servers have protection against CMD abused characters I would vastly prefer they leave cheats in single-player. It's your choice whether or not you us the cheats just because they are there, doesn't mean you have to use them. It's silly to think that way.

As for reasons to have them in single-player? I know I probabl won't play the game in single-player mode.It'll be like Minecraft, if I'm not on a server, I won't play. I would use the command from Single-player to make a race. (Say Glitch) check out their armors, some of their starting stuff, their pre-built structures, animations, weapons etc. Sure any race CAN eventually acquire them. But I'd like to know what they look like ahead of time. I won't be choosing a race soley based on their lore afterall.

As others have said, you can't really stop people dedicated to hacking. Just doesn't happen. You can deter them, but never stop them. I'd prefer the commands to be left in. So the people who don't cheat can use them to test things etc. But that's also coming from someone who will probably never actually play singleplayer.

12. MasterCreate66

MasterCreate66 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't think you should be able to spawn items in singleplayer. You should only be able to spawn items in multiplayer and ONLY if you are a server admin or mod. If they implement a way to spawn items in singleplayer people will be tempted to cheat just like when they added the "Cheats" mode in minecraft. Without this option people are less likely to cheat and are more likely to play the game how it is supposed to be played.

13. Regal Kain

Regal Kain Space Kumquat

Sorry but, "how it is supposed to be played" it's a sandbox game, that's only purpose (Other then to make Chucklefish money and allow them to create more awesome games.) is to ensure the player enjoys him or herself. If the player wants to cheat to enhance (or dehance) their gaming experience, then that's how they are supposed to play it. It's sort of subjective to the person isn't it?

Not everyone who can cheat, will cheat. Otherwise things like D&D or almost any other P&P system wouldn't exsist, since it's fairly easy to cheat in those games. (Especially if you're the GM/DM) Just something to note :)

ThatSwordGuy and Ruin like this.
  14. MasterCreate66

Yeah... I see! I agree! We need to keep everyone happy.

15. Exkaiser

Exkaiser Big Damn Hero

Being a DM is all about knowing when and how to cheat- and how to make it look like you're not! Meanwhile, you try to prevent your players from cheating on you. It's all very clever.

...Hah, talking about it like that makes me want the Director Mode that Tiy wants to implement.

16. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

Allowing the console commands for singleplayer in the Beta would make Beta testing easier, but somehow I don't see that happening. My guess is we'll have to wait for the Director mode before we can play around with these commands.

17. MasterCreate66

Probably

18. Haku

Haku Subatomic Cosmonaut

I personally call it a major crime because game means challenge, but you could have just mentioned that there should be strictly a creative mode server and a survival mode server to serve the sandbox nature of the game. Like Minecraft.

Game; Key components of games are goals, rules, challenge, and interaction. Games generally involve mental or physical stimulation, and often both. Many games help develop practical skills, serve as a form of exercise, or otherwise perform an educational, simulational, or psychological role.

Overly easy games don't last long and have no replay ability.

19. Bottle Opener

Bottle Opener Subatomic Cosmonaut

My personal opinion -

Single Player: You should be able to do anything you want to do in "your" game. If you want to spawn 15 uber awesome guns to go play with against mobs, so be it. Tons of money appearing at your feet so you can buy whatever you want? *Poof* It's done. Single Player is just that. You and you alone. No one else. Not Me, Myself, and Irene. Just you. It's not cheating to the person playing, it's them having fun.
    No " This-is-how-you-should-play-the-game" mentality should take effect here. The person that bought the game to play by themselves should be able to play it however they want.

Multi Player: This should be strictly up to the admin/server owner. You know, the person running the server "you" are playing on. If they want to allow "cheats" ie... spawned items/ spawn in items for their players, then so be it. If not, then provide a way for them to disable that ability.

Now I will throw this out there. If the ability to "cheat" is in the single player game mode, then the characters should be seperate from single player to multi player. It sounds like this is already/being implemented with the server being able to either allow you to import your char, or force you to create a new one for that server.

ThatSwordGuy and Xefs like this.
  20. Ruin

Ruin Existential Complex

Did you not read "Subjective"? Judging by your avatar, I assume you are into Dark Souls? I hate Dark Souls, and you probably enjoy it. I love being an unstoppable God-like being in video games, and you probably hate it. There is no difference. Games are not cumulative, they are all built for different purposes, save for one. That one is entertainment.
    Whether the game is Heart-Attack inducing difficult, or Relaxing-ly easy, it serves no purpose to count them separately. "...have no replay ability..." False. You can't determine how "fun" a game will be just from how difficult it is.
    (His avatar was clearly from Dark Souls before he changed it.)

Duke likes this.