Spaceships - More than what you might think!

Discussion in 'Other' started by Pandalf, Jun 13, 2013.

?

Do you like this idea?

1. I love it

57.1%
  2. Yes

25.7%
  3. No

8.6%
  4. I hate it

8.6%
  1. Draconano

Draconano Pangalactic Porcupine

But would YOU want to gather and make a feast for your eventually huge crew every night?

2. Pandalf

Pandalf Twenty-three is number one

mmm, right.... I guess you could hire a cook that would make deliscious plates with the ressources you give him.
    I could even suggest a pirate cook, with an certain ability. I'll think about that tomorow

Draconano likes this.
  3. Spirit Wolf

Spirit Wolf Aquatic Astronaut

There should be a rare chance that he gets a fez, because in some of the episodes he gets a fez and then loses it pretty soon.

4. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

Hmm. . . I'd want my crew to be more autonomous than me having to feed them everything, or else the bulk of my time would be pampering to them. Why not have them wander around on the surface gathering their own stuff?
    The cook could tell the shooter to go hunt him some food (And be very specific about the fact that the bulk of the animal should be intact, much to the Shooter's disappointment.) Or the cook could grab his own laser rifle and go hunting himself.
    The statuer/artisan could quarry his or her own stone from a location you designate, or if you designate a chest, he/she will take resources from that chest.
    Many people, such as the Doctor wouldn't have to worry about resources, and you can safely assume that they have resources for all but the plot-centric really rare poisons/diseases/injuries. Or what would be interesting is if you had to buy kits of medicines at a trading station, but they're reusable, and you have to scan a planet carefully to make sure that you don't get a particularly lethal poison down there with no antidote.
    The Engineer is much the same way, except for your ship, most of the time he/she will be able to perform basic repairs with what he/she has on hand, but sometimes they'll need a neutron flux capacitor to plug in backwards, and they don't happen to have that on hand, so you can either craft or buy one.
    the Researcher/archaeologist will come with you on your expeditions into some ancient ruins once you down the boss outside. Occasionally he/she'll be helpful with downing enemies, perhaps by shutting off/turning on traps or lockable doors that you might not have even known were there. Other times he/she will get him/herself in a lot of trouble, and will need saving.

5. Pandalf

Imagine a server where everyone is followed by 7 or possibly more NPCs everywhere he goes. And the crew isn't here to make the game easier, it's to make the spaceship fights easier.

6. Mrjeje

Mrjeje Industrial Terraformer

:rofl: I did not read that at all!

That's actually a good idea draco...

Draconano likes this.
  7. Pseudoboss

They don't usually follow you around, nor do they do the fighting for you, they simply beam themselves down to the surface and do whatever it is they wanted to do.

8. Pandalf

Or you could just call them down if you need them.

9. Pseudoboss

But then they're not autonomous, I don't want to babysit my companions, I want them to be able to think for themselves. Otherwise they might as well be robots.

10. Pandalf

Making them autonomous would just complicate the process of them being NPCs. If you have to wait for them to beam back to the ship to quit the planet for exemples. They are NPCs; they don't think. You don't see the nurse in Terraria eating mushrooms. You don't see Testificates making bread out of their wheat. In starbound, a crew would serve a good purpose, but you have to get a little downgrade if you have a bigger crew: feeding them.

EDIT: New ''Pirate Ship types'' section! Continuing Mrjeje's thread.

11. Pseudoboss

But in both Terraria, Minecraft, and AlmostEveryGameOfAllTime, the NPCs feel so static, they're motionless, emotionless, loot pinatas.
    All they do is stand there, and peddle their crap to you, occasionally offer you quests so that you can suck up some more of their crap being peddled to you, despite the fact that they realize you're trying to save the universe, they still say "Universe be damned, I'm getting MY MONEY!"
    They defy logic, oftentimes having miraculous amounts of goods on their person, never needing to eat, sleep, go buy their goods that they're peddling to you, craft their goods they're peddling to you, all they do is peddle, all day, all night, every day. they're there for you, but they're there for themselves.
    But if NPCs collected stuff on their own, gathering reagents, looking like they're not just serving you, then they'd be more interesting and seem like actual characters, as opposed to just things that are there solely to peddle your riches away.
    It'd be very easy to solve the whole waiting for NPCs to Teleport thing by either having the ship pause for a few seconds, or just having it automatically call out to all NPCs to not get left behind, instantly teleporting them to the ship as it leaves. We are WAAY past "You must gather your party before venturing forth" mechanics.
    I know that neither the NPCs in Terraria nor the Testificates in Minecraft make my home feel any more alive, they don't keep me from thinking "My god, i'm the only sentient creature on this entire god-forsaken world!" Which is disheartening and saps the depth from the game.
    For the challenge of maintaining a large crew would be the logistics of designing a better life-support system, bigger rooms, and you'd of course have to have bigger engines to propel the mass of the ship, which could mean more fuel, less agility during space battles, and a more intensive base.
    This would change the tone of the game when you have a large crew, from feeling like a small, elite strike force going into uncharted regions, to feeling like explorers and colonists industriously terraforming or plundering the planet.

12. Bebe22

Bebe22 Star Wrangler

Did the discussion for space battles just get moved here?
    Because I had some arguments for and about space battles, but no one commented on them.

13. Mrjeje

Yes. Say as you wish here

14. Mrjeje

You've shot yourself in the foot here! In space, there is no force whataoever meaning that your party won't have any effect on your ship's agility. The rest of the idea is pretty good though...

15. Pandalf

So there would be 3 modes to every NPCs: Static, Battle, Planetary. Right?

16. Pandalf

I am really sorry for bumping up my thread like this. I know I shouldn't do this but I need to communicate with the community.

For all the 40 persons who like this thread: you need to share the thread with your friends, or at least use the signature if you don't have one already. You also need to write comments if you don't want this idea to die like it shouldn't. Don't be afraid to give ideas, You can ask anyone here and they'll tell you I've changed this subject a lot of time with the help of others to make it better.

To resume:
    1. Share with your friends
    2. Take the signature
    3. Comment

See, it's simple! :up:

17. Mrjeje

Well you did not need to, I was going to comment on WEAPONS

That's right, weapons!

Ok Let's do this:

First, there would be 4 different types of weapons:

1. Missiles and bombs: weapons attached to your ship. They need a bomb bay to work. Bomb bays need to be filled up with different kids of explosives. These are made to break trough the ennemy ship. If there is a breach, or the people on the ennemy ship die, or they put oxygen masks. There is no way of repairing a breach in a fight. However, you can build a wall if for example the breach is at the back of the ship. You have to get rid of the said wall when the fight ends.

2. Lasers and beams : lasers are simply a damage-dealing weapon. Beams are one way to, if you take your time, cut the ennemy's weapons. These weapons need a battery bay to work. The battery bay does not take any ressources, it just takes time to recharge.

3. Anti-ship handheld weapons: These are for your shooters. They are weapons you cannot fire outside of a spaceship for a good reason:it would be too OP. Your character or your shooter cannot move while holding these massive weapons. This cathegory would include some kind of mine for your crazy astronaut to put on the ennemy ship if you're too lazy to get a bomb bay.

4. Miscaleinous weapons: these include a large variety of different weapons that do not appeal to any of the precedent cathegories. Some of them are fun, some others are usefull, and some are fun and useful. For example:

Monster cannon: fires a giant bullet containing a certain monster. The smaller the monster is, the more you can have in the bullet. Once the bullet breaches the ennemy ship (there is no actuall "breach") the bullet opens and the monsters or the monster start attacking the ennemy spacecrew. This weapon needs a monster bay to work. You fill up the bay by capturing monsters.

Singularity gun: creates a small black hole which attartcs both ship in a constant orbit, making the ennemy ship easier to fire at. If the ennemy ship is small enough, it can be destroyed by the black hole.

These are the basics. Any further suggestions?

18. Komoteru_Chan

Komoteru_Chan Subatomic Cosmonaut

In a game like this, the potential is relatively unbound. Heh. See what I did there? The sky is the limit, but we must take into account originality and possibly realism in a game where you can travel through space.

My thoughts are simple, and can potentially enhance space-travel.

-Crash landings. (Yeah I know you guys hate it but it's a cool concept.)
    Now, my idea doesnt eliminate crash landings, but it changes them. I think if you crash land, your sturdy ship (Granted it's not blown to heck and a handbasket by the cause of the crash-landing) makes a nice big crater, and spreads parts across the landscape of the planet you crash into. In addition to some repairs to make to the ship itself, you should be encouraged to explore the planet/asteroid/moon that you hit, and it could potentially turn out beneficial if you take the time to do simple scans of the surroundings while repairing your craft.

-Space... effects?
    Pirate attacks that breach the hull cause vacuum! Damage, hull breaches that have to be sealed, and possibly NPCs getting sucked out of the holes in your ship!

Gruesome, but.... kinda fun to think about. Again, I know you guys dont like the concept of a difficult space-travel sequence, but again I like the idea of technical influences and maintenance of your craft. :3

WHO WANTS PIE?

:D

19. Gredd18

Gredd18 Giant Laser Beams

Hull Breach?
    Awesome.
    Crash landings?
    Eh... If it's random, It could happen at a bad time.

20. Mrjeje

Already covered breaches. I think making it a giant vacuum would be too unfair. Maybe like some small stuf could go flying in the coldness of space but not NPCs