1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Space Combat?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by The Enderman, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Enderman

The Enderman Phantasmal Quasar

This is more of a speculation thread. So the question is, if it will in fact be in the game, what do you think space navigation/combat would be like? Will you have a small ship that you use to land on new planets? Will alien ships attack you on your way there and you have to defend yourself? What do you think?

2. Gemini

Gemini Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't remember where, but I think someone said something like there was no limit to how high you can go up on a world(I don't think they were someone working on the game so it may no be true). So, assuming that there would be a much higher limit on how high you could go than in Terraria(for example), then they could set it up so that space battles could take place above planets if the player were to use a spaceship vehicle.

3. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves Starship Captain

I think that for space combat, the interface could change quite a bit between the regular planet exploring 2D view, which is probably what I would prefer. Though I wouldn't blame the devs if they believed it to be too daunting of a task to tackle.

4. Ric

Ric Void-Bound Voyager

Since this seems to be kind of a space oriented game, I think space combat would be likely, which is good, because Space Combat sounds amazing. Everyone likes to destroy ships and cause an excruciatingly painful death to whoever was foolish enough to try to fight you. At least I do.
    I wonder what kinds of ships there will be if there is space combat because I would like a small, agile ship that didn't sacrifice firepower.

5. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

I'm hoping for combat in space myself. That way you could fly around and defend yourself, but then that adds another aspect to the game (maybe a nice little side scrolling shooter mini game?)

6. Matsu

Matsu Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think there will definitely be space warfare. I hope the interface would change to a top down free roaming shooter in which you fly around and attack/defend ships. There could even be AA Turrets helping to protect or destroy you from the nearby planets

7. Zeldo

Zeldo Big Damn Hero

Space warfare is most likely going to happen. What's space exploration without giant ships shooting lasers at you?
    People seem satisfied with just shooting ships and destroying them, but I think it'd be pretty darn cool to BOARD another ship and take it for yourself, as well as all the loot that was on it.

Krunch likes this.
  8. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

...for release, maybe, but the first expansion?

9. Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

Anyone else hoping for Final Fantasy style random battles while on your way to a planet? ;D

...No? Oh.. okay ( .__.)

10. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

I'm putting my chips on "Sidescroller space shooter minigame" if anything.

11. Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

No turn based over the top JRPG action?

I am dissapoint.

Starheaven07 and Ferroseed like this.
  12. MandlorTheUltimate

MandlorTheUltimate Void-Bound Voyager

Yes, you have to combat migrating alien birdies that like to eat metals! Haha.

13. bioemerl

bioemerl Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't think it would add much. It is really something that could be cool, but wouldn't add to the gameplay enough for the work it takes.
    EG: first person control for units in RTS games.

14. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

This guy has a point. I think that a "space battle" map where the ships are built with blocks wouldn't be a bad idea, though.

15. The Enderman

The Enderman Phantasmal Quasar

So mabey it could be like a tower defence or RTS minigame?

16. I'm up for this, danmaku style!

17. Ghoschief

Ghoschief Phantasmal Quasar

Asteroids, with customizable ships. yeeeaaaahhh.

18. Ecchiholic

Ecchiholic Cosmic Narwhal

Oh yeah!

19. Arroz2003

Arroz2003 Void-Bound Voyager

There will be different kinds of ships. I am ready to see how the developers will handle the space combat. I wasnt ever fond of the old gallaga type shooters. 1943--46 and x were pretty good though. I bet they will make it addicting.

20. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

IGM: Almost everything we’ve heard/seen about Starbound so far has related to either planet side or space station gameplay. Is that stuff going to be the main bulk of the game, or is there a chance of some deep space exploration/combat in there too?
    Tiy: There won’t be any space combat at release, but it’s something we’re interested in for an update. We want to make sure we put out an amazing experience on the Space station or whilst exploring planets for the first release.

Hope that clears up some questions. ;)

TheEnderman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.