1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Sound Issue and Crash (Oversight?)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Xylia, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Apparently, Starbound does NOT like it when the sound system is changed.

I have a pair of USB Razer Naga headphones that are getting old. There's a frayed wire that I've ducttaped that will on rare occasion disrupt communication between the Headphones and the PC. The Headphones themselves are their own sound system (the normal on-board sound system is not used at all, and all sound gets routed to the headphones' USB sound processor), so when this happens, Windows thinks the sound system was unplugged or disconnected.

To normally fix this, I simply unplug and plug the headphones back in and in most games, this works instantly. Sound comes back and I'm all good a few seconds later.

Starbound, however, will not see the "new" sound system. It will continue to be silent even if other programs will properly play sound.

Moreover, Starbound will crash upon attempting to quit the game (probably because it's trying to release control over a sound system that "no longer exists", the game is probably waiting on a non-existent sound system to respond.

When this happens, the game just sits there and eventually Windows will say the program is Not Responding, and the only way out of it is to force the game to close.

Here's the last few lines from the logfile when this happens:

Code:
    [09:56:29.113] [Info] UniverseClient: Client disconnecting...
    [09:56:29.143] [Info] Client received world stop packet, leaving: Removed
    [09:56:29.263] [Info] UniverseServer: Client 'Larie' <1> (local) disconnected for reason:
    [09:56:29.264] [Info] UniverseServer: Stopping idle world ClientShipWorld:bd14cbace70770a578d8cd6f8a7e97df
    [09:56:29.602] [Info] UniverseServer: Stopping UniverseServer
    [09:56:29.657] [Info] Clearing steam rich presence connection
    [09:56:31.686] [Info] Application: quit requested
    [09:56:31.686] [Info] Application: quitting...
    [09:56:31.686] [Info] Application: shutdown...

There are no errors generated in the log when the actual problem (the sound system being disconnected) happens.

Seems more like an oversight than a bug, but meh.