1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Soo... How big is the universe?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by lazarus78, Jul 30, 2015.

1. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

I'm not so sure anymore.

The config files out the scale at +-1,000,000,000 on the X and Y, for a grand total of 2billion by 2 billion "units". However, this appears to not be a hard limit...

I made a little mod that I thought would limit the universe to only +-100 "units", but was confused when I could go beyond that, and even more confused when I tried this:
    [​IMG]

Im not sure what gives at this point. How big is the universe?

2. Hakma

Hakma Tentacle Wrangler

Its probably like minecraft or something

3. lazarus78

Minecraft has a hard limit of XY +-30,000,000

4. Hakma

Hakma Tentacle Wrangler

holy s@#!t. Well starbound is in space so ofc its going to be almost endless ingame

5. lazarus78

My point is, the supposed limits are not the real limits.

6. You're probably looking at the variable limits to dictate actual hard limit.

+/- 2147483647 for a long Integer in C++ (which is 32bit)
    +/- 9223372036854775807 for a long long integer in C++ (which is 64bit)

I'd guess long int for this.

Honestly, that'd be pretty awesome though, a tiny 1000x1000 size universe, bit enough to sustain anyone really

7. lazarus78

That was my intent. A small inuverse, and since the planets would always generate the same (OS permitting), it would make for a nice controlled environment for setting up like faction wars or story quest mod packs.

8. I was just thinking from a multi-player perspective, This way people aren't spread throughout the universe, they'd be clustered with finite bounds.

9. lazarus78

Well that too. :rofl:

Anyhoo, now to find out what these config settings actually DO....

10. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

That sounds like a fun idea. Locking your universe to a small size for an rpg-ish adventure or something.

11. MrToni300

MrToni300 Ketchup Robot

Well it does being very large universe, because im not known about that sector.

12. VarekRaith

VarekRaith Phantasmal Quasar

Please don't break the Universe.
    Kthx.

13. lazarus78

I would prefer to break it, thanks.

14. duicklefish

duicklefish Great Scott!

3.4028237 x10^38 units^2.

You might want to check if it wraps around by putting in something like (20 000 000 000 000 000 000x, 20 000 000 000 000 000 000y).

15. lazarus78

It would be impossible to test it as the largest number you can input in the navigation is 1Billion-1

16. MrToni300

MrToni300 Ketchup Robot

Yeah i know that already.

17. lazarus78

I wasn't saying that to you.

18. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

Is there a file you can edit to allow you to type a larger number? Or something similar?
    I know that in the Koala days I would play the X-sector outside the soft-boundaries, just for it to be true unknown lands.

I wonder how far out the game stops generating stars? Or does the game just crash? lol

19. lazarus78

No way that I can tell. I tried upping the width of the text box for that particular GUI, but no dice.

20. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

Can you put math into coordinates? I can't get on starbound right now to test.