Modding Help Some file types hard-coded to /assets directory?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Monomer, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Monomer

Monomer 2.7182818284590...

Howdy folks; I've been working on a biome mod, and during the process looking into the best-practices for organizing mod files (specifically how to make use of the bootstrap file and a mods folder). However, I've been unable to change the filepath of certain files to /mods instead of /assets; for instance:

In .biome files, you specify file paths for ambient environmental sound loops and music loops, which look like this:

"tracks" : [ "/sfx/environmental/grasslands_day.ogg" ]

Based on some crashes and logs I was getting, even if the .biome file is being read from the /mods directory, it still looks in assets/sfx/environmental/ instead of mods/sfx/environmental. Of course, because my custom biome is exclusive to a mod I could always tell that one biome, specifically, to search a different path for the required audio files.

Celesttial art files, however, are a different story (celestial art is the art used to show a planet in space). These files have their paths specified in celestial.config; here's an example:

"biomeTextures" : "/celestial/system/horizon/textures/<biome>_<selector>.png",

Even if you have the game load celestial.config from your /mods directory, when looking for this dynamic file path it still looks in assets/celestial/system... (again, this is what the logs told me). Worse, this file path can't be changed without affecting all biomes in the game, vanilla or modded.

If what I'm seeing in the logs holds true and isn't just an implementation error, it puts a wrench in the whole "make a /mods directory and update your bootstrap strategy" since certain files will always be sought out in the /assets folder. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise either, considering how early in beta the game is, and given that they're working on proper mod tools, but I figured I'd post my experience so far and see if anyone has run into similar problems or sees a solution/modder error here. Thanks, and cheers!