1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help [Solved] Server Password broken since update

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by athalean, Dec 6, 2013.

1. athalean

athalean Void-Bound Voyager

Ahoy everyone,

I've set up a Linux Starbound server on Thursday using the tutorials you find all around the web. I also noticed the developer tweet from some days ago hinting at assets/default_configuration.config to set up a server password. Since our server is meant to be friends and family only, we set up a couple of passwords and enjoyed the game.

I updated the server a couple of hours ago (around 10am CET I think) and noticed some friends having trouble authenticating to the server since then. I noticed that my default_configuration.config was overridden during the update, resetting the serverPasswords field to default values. I changed them back to our custom passwords but the server still only reacts to the standard passwords (including no password at all, which is not our intention).

Has there been any silent change to the server configuration that might have caused this? Are there patch notes for the server so we admins can be aware of such changes in the future? (haven't found any obvious places to look at from quickly browsing the forums at least)

Thanks in advance

Mizehra likes this.
  2. TroYy

TroYy Space Hobo

3. FrenchTart

FrenchTart Subatomic Cosmonaut

As I posted in the other thread, the password protection is still working for my server.

I think your issue here is using the default_configuration file rather than creating a live config file. I would expect that default_configuration will be overwritten frequently during updates.

4. athalean

athalean Void-Bound Voyager

You were right. changing the passwords in "starbound.config" in the linux32 folder solved the problem for me. I overlooked the option because it was written without line breaks.

Hope that helps someone and thanks for your answers.

5. FrenchTart

FrenchTart Subatomic Cosmonaut

No worries. I'm glad it helped out with your issue :)