Modding Help [SOLVED]Issues With "sitCoverImage"

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by dertrutinator, May 27, 2017.

1. dertrutinator

dertrutinator Void-Bound Voyager

I am a beginner at modding and currently trying to add my third object to my mod, a copper bed.

The bed is fully functional as a bed, but I cannot figure out how to make the "sitCoverImage" (the bed's blanket when someone is sleeping in it) appear. It seems to have something do to with the mod's folders: in the unpacked game assets, the folder objects are loaded from is called "objects", while in my mod, I have to name it "object" for the objects to be loaded at all. It does not matter whether I use the path "/objects/generic/copperbed/copperbedcover.png" or "/object/generic/copperbed/copperbedcover.png", the cover does not appear with either.

I probably have to somehow rename the folder "object" to "objects", but if I try to do that, the objects aren't being loaded in the first place.

Thanks alot in advance for your help!

Attached Files:

2. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

Actually, it all works just fine for me. Even if I change the folder name (and the reference for the bedcovercover in the object file) to "objects." If you have any other mods installed you may be looking at some kind of mod conflict. It would be a good idea to change it to objects, try to respawn the objects and then take a look at your log file to see if any errors come up. You may be looking at duplicate object IDs.

Besides that, I have some visual advise to give of the table and chair if that's okay. You may be aware of some of of this already, but I did notice a few things. Let's start with the chair.
    The first thing is the sit position is a few pixels low for the image. While that can be adjusted in the object file, I would recommend altering the image itself to have a lower seat since the position you are currently using is pretty standard for Starbound seating. And second, there is an extra white pixel on the top corner of the chair back.
    On the bed, the way the bedcover image works is that it adds and overlaps it when the player uses the bed. This way the player can lay on top of the bed while the covers go on top of the player. I would recommend altering your bedcover image to remove at least the pillow (the majority of beds actually only use the blanket itself and little else) so it does not cover the player's head.
    The last thing encompasses all three objects. That would be the overall visual style. I can see where you're using a similar design style in some places, however the bed and chair do not have an outline while the table has a solid dark outline. The copper objects currently in the game have an outline, but use darker variants of the colors in the rest of the image. Take a look at the copperbox1 object and you'll see what I mean. I would recommend trying to go with the same pallet and outline style as that box with all of your objects to get a more consistent visual look with the rest of the game.

Whew that was a larger block of text than I was expecting it to be. I hope I didn't step on any toes there.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  3. dertrutinator

dertrutinator Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you very much for your help!
    It seems like the mod was clashing with another mod I had installed. It also appears the objects did not load at all when I changed the folder name because I only used /reload instead of restarting the game.
    About the visual things, I already knew about the white pixel, but not about the other things, since I did not make the textures myself. Thank you for your advice about that, I will look into it.

4. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

Sure thing. I'm all about the art. :)