1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

So You Like Sandbox? Favourite Starbound Sandbox Feature.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Arcadiax, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Guest

Sandbox games are great, ever since I began playing the genre I've found more and more things I love about it, with starbound, the whole genre is being redefined, the enemies are sandbox, the weaponry, plants, animals, NPCs and quests (I'm basing the last 2 on speculation and discussion) are all randomly generated, as well as the worlds and universe you live in.

So what is your favourite sandbox element in Starbound, and why?

Mine would have to be the randomly generated animals, as described by the developers as "mods", base animals can have extra bits on them to make them unique and individual, penguins so far, seem to be the most customised, but that's just on what we're hearing. I can't wait to catalogue all the different variations I find, I do hope the log book we get can save different variations and not just the creature.

That's my favourite, but I'm really looking forward to all the sandbox elements!

So what's yours?

2. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

Well I'd tell you but then again I don't know how it's going to be in starbound, it could be alien slaves working for you to mine and build for all I know. Or humans.

3. sayaks

sayaks Void-Bound Voyager

My favorite element has to be the randomly generated weapons and NPCs... Although something else might be added which would be even cooler!

achtung_phil likes this.
  4. Zolon

Zolon Big Damn Hero

I'm personally going to love flying from planet to planet, gathering resources, crafting unique equipment, rescuing people, building up my homeworld, and doing quests. :)

Oh, and research. I'm a research FREAK.

NaturallyMade likes this.
  5. Dal

Dal Phantasmal Quasar

exploring random planets and finding new creatures is going to be sweeeeeeeet! <3

6. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Guest

I'd love (not so much, "slaves") people that work for you to mine and build! You could set a whole town to work, travel the galaxy and come back to a thriving city! That has the possibility to be amazing.

Yeah, that's possibly one of the coolest things about this game, it certainly caught my attention when I first heard about!

Research is muchly fun, I too am a freak of the research kind :p I hope I can host a large server, and have a group of us go out into the universe, gather stuff and take logs, and research and analyse it when we all get back to the base! It too has the possibility to be so much fun.

7. Vladplaya

Vladplaya Cosmic Narwhal

I don't know enough info about the game to tell you what my favorite element is. However I like to build stuff, and it worries me that the game might focus too much on "pre build" space station, or other pre made buildings you can deploy on the planets, and ignore what player can accomplished by him/herself using normal blocks. I hope the game has deep building system where the game will recognize what you are trying to build and then reward you for your effort and time spend constructing your house, castle or underground base, and give you some options of what you want to do with those or how you want to run those once you are done.

Flutterguy and NaturallyMade like this.
  8. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Guest

Well, other sandbox games have used that element, of detecting what you're building, I did however hear, that there is mining/building, in the style of minecraft/terraria, so I think you can use pre-built structures, but also build your own style of building. I hope so atleast!

9. Metakarta

Metakarta Master Chief

mine is the sandbox haha :3 but no really the animals is awesome ^-^

10. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

My favorite element in sandboxes is the freedom to build what you want.

11. Iznano4nik

Iznano4nik Big Damn Hero

TS that guy

12. darkshot

darkshot Void-Bound Voyager

I'm not sure how much capacity for building will be in Starbound, but I'm hoping there will be at least as much as in Terraria, if not more. I enjoy building things using the materials the game provides, but in a way the developers did not anticipate, such as using statues and wire to make logic gates in Terraria (sorry to use another Terraria reference).

But primarily the thing I am most excited about Starbound is simply the exploration, which is my favorite thing to do in these kinds of games. I just like to find new things and new environments, and find fascinating and unique things about each environment. I was thrilled when I heard they have plans for more types of liquid than just water and lava, such as acid and oil, sounds like there are many possibilities to make fun things like liquid powered mechanisms and structures.

13. GigaNova

GigaNova Cosmic Narwhal

Building Cities, making the planet habitable, control my people, destroy them > Repeat.

14. AzyPZero

AzyPZero Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I love Sandbox games, the freedom to do as you wish really makes this game a "turn on" In a videogame sense*
    I feel that it allows me to really bring out my creativity in a style of art~
    My favorite element is just building, it keeps me busy, and it is VERY enjoyable. ♥

15. Gemini

Gemini Subatomic Cosmonaut

For me it's the ways planets can be different because on say, a planet that is tidally locked with it's star making it always day in the same part of the planet, you could do something like build something at the meeting point of night and day and then expand it out into the night and day sections which could be fun on multiplayer.

Followed by all the procedurally generated stuff because the more variations there are, the more there is to see and collect and stuff.

Edit: Forgot to say why.

16. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Guest

Huh?

Yeah, that is one of the funnest and most core elements of sandbox :p

Haha, save one person from each generation you kill, the strongest, then by the end you have a team of inter planetary, multi-skilled pro's :p

17. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

18. GigaNova

GigaNova Cosmic Narwhal

A Team of inter planetary, multi-skilled pro's?

Sounds appealing.... :sneaky:

19. Ecchiholic

Ecchiholic Cosmic Narwhal

I think my favorite sandbox element is probably that I'm god in my little world and that I can do what I want, where I want... Or maybe I'm just a megalomaniac. :D

20. darkshot

darkshot Void-Bound Voyager

You just gave me an awesome idea... I wonder if you can capture a bunch of monsters and put them all on one planet and come back later to find only the strongest monster is left alive, the rest are extinct. This monster will be my champion!

With so many variations of creatures this would be a cool way to determine the strongest "pet" creature, with a fight to the death!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.