1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

So why do the floran hate the Hylotl?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Neonir, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

It's because the Hyotle are really advanced and cool and the Florans are jealous and frustrated, but lack the self awareness to realize this and begin the journey to enlightenment through culture, OP.

2. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

But aren't Florans cannibals?

3. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

Exactly. They want to prove they are the biggest baddest plant eaters around :)

4. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Yes, but from what I recall, arent they insects?

Heard it, but not quite sure, anyone mind confirming?

5. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

SOME Floran tribes are cannibals and they're not considered normal among most Florans.

From what I've seen, typical Florans regard Cannibalism much the same as any other species. It's frowned upon and you have to be crazy (even by Floran standards, and that's saying something).

CLEARLY.[DOUBLEPOST=1422489775][/DOUBLEPOST]You know... I just realized something.

To a Hylotl, Agarans probably seem like "just more Florans". What if the Florans DIDN'T attack and drive them from their homeworld? What if it was the AGARANS? Then the Hylotl just assumed they were wierd Florans and attacked the Florans in response, leading to a huge misunderstanding starting a war between two races?

And the Agarans just kinda sit there in the corner laughing...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    Sh4dowWalker96 and Yzzey like this.
  6. Villhelm

Villhelm Phantasmal Quasar

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f142/mugford1/TV/Kramer_entrance.gif

• I glare vindictively in your general direction:proper:
    • Focusing on peace and art over warmongering isn't a bad thing, as you said they can protect themselves anyway, its just a shame their neighbours were so tribal:viking:. Also they definitely did focus on tech (all will be revealed)
    • I doubt the reason for a millennia long bloodbath was due to a few judging stares and condescension. Theory= The redacted law about the Florans origins (with the Avians) was obviously redacted because at the beginning they were planning on making the Avians the Florans main enemy (before the Glitch/Hylotl vote) but its stressed clearly that the first things they did when they got a ship was go conquering. Id imagine that's what happened with the Floran and Hylotl as the Florans settled and pillaged Hylotl space (viking style) and the two races ended up stuck with each other as neighbours and fought over the past few centuries. " Bitter wars were fought with primitive weaponry, and legends from that time speak of great suffering amongst the peoples of both races"-chronicles. This clearly wasn't just a case of misinteraction, both races may have actually advanced through the ages fighting each other.
    • "the racial enmity between the Florans and Hylotl has existed for hundreds (if not thousands) of years", " Bitter wars were fought with primitive weaponry, and legends from that time speak of great suffering amongst the peoples of both races. ", ...that the Hylotl also committed atrocities upon the Florans during the war. Here's a little-known fact: the Hylotl were the first race to develop weed killer". "using bureaucracy to block them out instead of weapons (usually - a warship blockade still sends a powerful message)."-chronicles. That sounds like quite a challenge if you ask me.
    • Actually the Floran-Hylotl war was a series of wars (like the hundred year war) not just one planet conquest -"We all know that the racial enmity between the Florans and Hylotl has existed for hundreds (if not thousands) of years."-Chronicles
    • The Florans only drove them from the surface "Eons ago, the Hylotl were driven beneath the ocean by the savage Floran.
      Using the technology to survive, over millennia the Hylotl adapted to their environment.
      And flourished.
      Though they live in peace, some grow restless"-Intro sequence
      =unreliable (Damn you starbound wiki!:devil:). Also i doubt there would be fire on an ocean planet and considering there is still a Hylotl civilisation, not everyone.
    • Someone explain this, iv'e seen this recited hundreds of times yet never seen the source

No more ocular torture, i promise:spider:

^ RELEVANT^

A frogspawn omelette? i'm both disgusted and intrigued :lod:

Well of course! :hylotl:

No they're definitely plants, that was a myth that started circulating a few months back.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    DJFlare84 likes this.
  7. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

I'm hungry!

8. Heartstrings

Heartstrings Giant Laser Beams

I don't mind them, not all floranss are sssingleminded.

9. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

As much as I'm enjoying you enlightening this ignorant plant-lover, I must point out one thing.

> CODEX (Hylotl Player)

> A HYLOTL INTRODUCTION

> "As such, they were pacifists and herbivores, content to simply live in peace until one day they were forced out of their homes, and off-world entirely, by the dreaded Floran menace."

I would like to note, however, that simply losing one's homeworld is in no way a gauranteed defeat. By the time this happened, it seems a logical conclusion that the Hylotl already had a vast empire across the stars. While the loss of our homeworld is indeed an impressive loss and shows we may have underestimated the Floran strength, it in NO way means the Florans won the war.

If you're a StarCraft nerd, compare the Hylotl/Floran exchange here to that of the Zerg overtaking the homeworld of Aiur.

The Protoss are FAR from down and out and remain still one of the most powerful races in the entire universe. The Florans will suffer GREAT losses before they completely defeat us, if that is indeed what they intend to do.

Villhelm and Ixmore like this.
  10. otsu78

otsu78 Poptop Tamer

Floranss are not sstupid. We are armed sssociety. Armed ssociety isss polite ssociety. Hylotl not polite. Florans ssstab.

We eat plantss ass well. We have our own biotechnoss and genetic engineering. We figure out how ssspaceships work and make more! We make own AI!

Also, ssstabbing is very zen. Ssstab once, ssstab twice, ssstab repeatedly sssame way. Bring peaccceee to floran mind!

11. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Depends. Will the majority of the Hylotl remain paficists? Becuse if they do the florans will not suffer at all.

12. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

That's in much the same way as asking if the majority of Americans will remain pacifists.

No country in the history of anywhere has ever fought with the entirety of their population. Even the Florans have regular ol' citizens who sit at home and just enjoy life.

13. Garatgh Deloi

The majority of Americans arent pacifists. If they were they wouldent have wars and they wouldent allow guns.

People that simply try to avoid war and violence arent pacifists, people that only use violence as a last resort arent pacifists.

Pacifists are completely anti war and anti violence.

14. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Do you really think that the Hylotls didn't provoke in any sort of way?

Granted, Florans are somewhat warrior like, but, I like to think of them as Khorne Berzerkers, the live for the hunt, and are unsatisfied with hunting small, harmless prey.They live to fight, and unless provoked, would have no reason, or pleaure, in killing those who would not fight/provide chalenge in a fight.

Wariors dont battle kittens, they go and kill Daemons, for christs sake!

Hylotls most likely spurred this, with their natural, narcissistic attitude, and somewhat "superior" attitude they have with other races.

They are jackasses and idiots, by cultural standard, and many choose to be so, unlike Florans, who are primitive, due to lack of cultural education.
    (actualy, they would probably be the most powerfull race in existence, if they were to ditch the fur cloths and get to reading, seeing as they naturally have a way with Tech, and with them having as much, if not more, ability to learn than humans and Hylotls, adding up with the natural dificulty to kill them, and you have one heck of a powerfull race.)

While your theory is interesting, I very much doubt it, Florans would most likely start colonizing otehr plannets, and if I am to guess, it was more than likely just a civilian ship, not a Industrial or Military Avian ship that crashed, so they coudnt have done much pilaging, with barely functional small ships with at best, pathetic weaponry, on Hylotl worlds.

They would inevitable be well guarded, and Hylotls are dedicated to arts, but due to oriental theme, Im also gonna guess they would have atleast some sort of fighting style, or defensive techniques vibe going on, if we are going to speculate.

Typical Katana/Iato kind of stuff, ya know, they would inevitably have that.

Im to guess the "fire" mentioned to be in a underwater city, ya know, since it would be absolute bollocks for Hylotls to live in the midts of the sea, without protection, and they would refuse to sleep or live i anywhere that isnt protected.
    Plus, Tesla spikes description as Hylotls.

All I have to say, other than that, my blade always has enough space for some more fish blood.

15. Casia

Casia Subatomic Cosmonaut

possibly inexplicable superpower. But I think the idea is they just effectively have massive A.D.D. they are very smart. but just don't care about other things. They spend so much time daydreaming about hunting, learning boring things like words is hard for them.

16. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Well, I think I'll bet on the side of hylotl not being idiots. I certainly haven't come across any shooting their needle guns in vain at me.

17. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

That's because we don't have any Hytlotl dungeons yet. Once we do have some, you can bet your bacon there's be inexplicably hostile Hytlotl waiting to shoot you full of needles.

18. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

Sah-wing and a miss. Do you hear that whistling sound? That's the point going over your head.

Oh yeah. When I say "intelligence" I take into account all factors, not simply capacity to learn.

Florans definitely have a capacity to learn and there are some rare smart ones that are just as civilized and non-stabby as the rest of us (check out the outpost!). But for the most part they suffer from an unwillingness or a lack of care to learn things that would advance them socially as a race and this is a major setback for them.

19. Garatgh Deloi

Other way around. My point went over your head. Let me explain it in detail.

We have one race, the florans, were pretty much everyone is a hunter and warrior (the majority).

Then we have another race, the hylotl, were the majority are pacifists that refuse to go to war and do violence.

Unless the hylotl change their ways the florans will not find them much of a challenge or suffer from attacking them, no matter if there are a minority of hylotl that would fight. Becuse the majority of the hylotl will stop the minority from any aggressive action other then perhaps defense since its against there pacifist ways.

A population that mainly consists of pacifist are screwed in a war where theres not a non violent solution, no matter what.

20. otsu78

otsu78 Poptop Tamer

Honestly, the hylotl aren't that smart. Everyone is probably piggybacking off of human space tech. Everyone. Except for the apex, but they do not count as they were once human as well.

The hylotl are one of those races, along with the glitch, that probably would never have gotten off world if it wasn't for human technological uplifting. Lack of conflict, be it through war or even just competition, breeds technological stagnation. The glitch refuse to move forward. The hylotl have no need to move forward socially and technologically. They were content where they were until an outside race brought new tech. Avians and florans would possibly be the only other races who would have developed their own space tech, given enough time. Avians are looking to the stars to reach Kluex. Florans are extremely competitive, have an extremely intuitive mind for how things work, and could eventually end up in a perpetual arms race; and they are always looking outwards for new places to settle.

These things lead to space pioneers.

The main playable races, except for human and apex, honestly, seem like they were found by star-faring races much more early in their social/technological lifespan. Surprised none of them have cargo cults, honestly.

No, it's more of a cultural shock response if anything else. Culturally, florans have very different moral systems than the other races, and with the right outside prodding, prevents integration and shift in morals. If raised amongst the cultures of the other races, I am sure they would have a very different outlook on life, if a slightly more stabby outlook. Florans and their culture in general seems to be suffering from negative outside influences to ensure they remain in a barbaric state. Looking at the Miniknog for this one. Reminds me a lot of what happened in the middle east during the '70s and '80s at the hands of the CIA. Those places were not nearly as unstable before that.

Seriously, Big Ape and Greenfinger working together is definitely not a good thing. Both seem to have major radical elements.