1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

So why do the floran hate the Hylotl?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Neonir, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Neonir

Neonir Big Damn Hero

I know the Hylotl hate the florn for driving them off their homeworld, and for being generally violent, carnivorous savages.

But why exactly do the florans hate the hylotl just as much? (if not more?)

Did they just get offended when the hylotl said they were awful people?

Is it cause the hylotl are vegetarians, and THAT offended them?

Or is it just because the florans picked them out as "peace loving fish fingers" and decided to wage war with them for kicks?

ZAYABUCKET likes this.
  2. Valyriax

Valyriax Big Damn Hero

The Hylol have, sometime in the past, eaten some of the Floran.

3. Neonir

Neonir Big Damn Hero

Seriously?

Is there a codex that mentions this or is it speculation?

kellbyb likes this.
  4. Balmer

Balmer Big Damn Hero

Who wouldn't hate fissshy meatsss?

5. Valyriax

Valyriax Big Damn Hero

I think it was in a codex or it might have been something one of the devs said. Maybe it's just the the Florans need to vent because everyone makes fun of their accent.

6. Probably because the Floran don't like the peace faring Hylotl ways or their fishy taste.

Vrow likes this.
  7. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

There's little hylotl information, there is only the starter codex information in the game (even in the files). Though, speculation isn't entirely improbable, they make a big point out of the hylotl being vegetarians, and florans are, well... vegetables.

8. Pyrolun

Pyrolun Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd take that with a pinch of salt, the Floran are unlikely to just be "vegetables" I think a better terminology would be "plantform". They eat meat, their primary source of sustenance comes from their carnivorous endeavours. I believe sunlight and nutrients from the ground simply wont fuel a body that is moving and apparently metabolising. If there is a chance that they could survive only on nutrients and sunlight their bodies would be far more efficient at their current size (if it was that way and they weren't noted to be carnivorous, the Florans would likely be an older race and incredibly advanced at that). Alternatively to that they would need to be massive to survive on solely sunlight and nutrients if you disregard the previous point. They also have a way to see; eyes! This might suggest that they may be a little more fleshier than we like to imagine.

Although I can't determine this, I haven't really paid much attention to the Florans because I'm a dirty racist. There is likely to be little sense applied to them, lol.​

MoonLitBlaze, Locklave and Beta_747 like this.
  9. MikeyTwoGuns

MikeyTwoGuns Tentacle Wrangler

That's kinda hilarious, and kinda dark. Though lore wise it would require the Hyloti to completely disregard sentience, having biology be the only determining factor in deciding whether something is treated with respect, or is food. Or something to that effect. Doesn't really fit with my understanding of the Hylotil, not that that means much.

Neonir and Pyrolun like this.
  10. Xacris

Xacris Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, to start with, the Hylotl are very tasty. Also, they hate the florans and don't even try to hide it. Just read some of the Hylotl comments about floran furniture. Hylotl are missionaries of peace as well, something florans as a whole don' take kindly to

11. Deathsdoll

Deathsdoll Pangalactic Porcupine

Simple they smell of stinky fish lol

12. GuardianTempest

GuardianTempest Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe Grass is Super Effective against Water?

I just think it's like the Orcs (Florans) getting mad at the uppity and unnecessary ways of the Elves (Hylotl) while the Dwarves (Glitch) just make their Dwarf Fortress, with Project F.T.W.

13. Blaster Master

Blaster Master Star Wrangler

Because, you know, fish and seaweed.

14. Anyone

Anyone Space Hobo

Exactly.

15. Wisty

Wisty Subatomic Cosmonaut

I haven't read all the lore, but isn't there something about how some florans broke away from floran society because they were conflicted about typical floran morals and ambitions?
    Clearly there are peaceful floran in the game, but even if they are relatively peaceful, I doubt they see eye to eye with the hylotl.

STCW262 likes this.
  16. Blaster Master

Blaster Master Star Wrangler

Well, the player character apparently left for a more "honorable hunt" if I recall.

Windcaller likes this.
  17. Jnse

Jnse Void-Bound Voyager

Floran hatessss fisssssh peaccce

Beta_747 and RTFlare like this.
  18. Hylotls are extremely narcissistic and self centered. They look at Florans as primitive and far below their level of existance, the Florans responded to the Hylotls remarks by stabbing a few of them.

It's not hard to figure out how their relationship went from there.

19. RaideDuku

RaideDuku Tentacle Wrangler

What? We love fissssshy meatssss! With a little breading and tartar ssssauce...

20. ReverendBonobo

ReverendBonobo Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Vegetables tend to hate vegetarians.