Modding Discussion So, who wants to design some dungeons?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Shadow Wolf TJC, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

Lately, over the past few days, I've been working on some dungeon mods (as could be seen with my recently-released Legacy Dungeons and Dungeons Everywhere! mods), and am now in the process of working on a mod that adds remixed versions of some dungeons, like what I have for this remixed Sci-Fi Dungeon that I'm still working on as of now (sneak peek btw):
    20160430152136_1.jpg
    I tried my best to show the entire room, which you might recognize as the Sci-Fi Dungeon's lobby, which was repurposed as a general 3-way junction filled with enemies and wiring gizmos. Pay close attention to the 2 Persistent Switches, and the door to the left, as they'll be important later. Also, notice that the top now ends with a small switch?
    20160430152236_1.jpg
    I didn't make this place dark by myself (although I could have if I wanted to, even though the dungeon was protected)! The entire room went dark as soon as I entered it!
    20160430152243_1.jpg
    Ah, there's the culprit! I triggered one of the many hidden switches in this room, which triggered one of the Persistent Switches, which then caused a chain reaction that ultimately caused all of the lights within the room to turn off.
    20160430152311_1.jpg
    Thankfully, by pressing one of 3 buttons within this room (or the Wall Switch in the center of the room), I could turn all of the lights back on, but wait! It seems as if the trap also caused the door to the left to open! (The door to the right was already open when the trap was triggered, but thanks to the logic that controlled it, it was kept from closing.) Thanks to the Persistent Switches, this trap could only be triggered once, so no worries about the room going dark again. Also, remember that tiny wall switch at the top? It looks like it's connected to some far-off part of the dungeon...
    20160430152719_1.jpg
    Here's another switch located within a tiny wall closet...
    20160430152726_1.jpg
    ...and it's also connected to a far-away part of the dungeon...
    20160430153028_1.jpg
    ...and this would be the part! This Not Gate is receiving input signals from (and outputs signals towards) multiple sources that are spread throughout the dungeon! Because every input node acts like a natural Or Gate, and because Not Gates, when receiving an input from an Or Gate, function like some sort of reverse And Gate, I had the bright idea to create a puzzle, where the player must scour the entire dungeon, looking for however many switches would need to be turned on/off in order to access, say, the dungeon's Shield Generator and treasure room. (For the player's convenience, I had this Not Gate send signals to the Blue Alert Lights that were located close to those switches to let the player know that all of the switches within the dungeon were activated.)

Of course, I'm not yet finished with work on this dungeon, but hopefully, I could inspire you guys to get into doing a little "dungeoneering" of your own, even if there's still the possibility that, in a future update, Chucklefish will make changes to the game that would break something within your dungeons (but even then, chances are that the "damage" to your modding work won't be unfixable).

Relten, The | Suit and Arra like this.
  2. Shadow Wolf TJC

Sadly, it looks like I'll have to suspend my work on this dungeon. No matter what I do, it just causes the world to stop loading, causing bugs like this:
    20160504204106_1.jpg
    Hopefully, Chucklefish will be able to address this problem, but in the meantime, maybe I can repurpose this tweaked dungeon to some other purpose, such as an instanced dungeon that you could visit on certain planets, or by passing through a modified Challenge Door?

3. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I think the issue that you have encountered here is the same one I've encountered, replicated dozens of times and never reported. That is, massive terrain generation lag after passing through/over an Apex testing facility. What it is caused by, I do not know for certain as I never felt bothered enough to root out the cause... however, you might try to remove your fancy wiring, generate a new dungeon on a new world and see if that has an impact on terrain generation speed.

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

The lag from dungeons is probable the game trying to calculate what sections to use. If you stick around long enough, the lag goes away. I have noticed a slight slowdown in overall generation too.

5. Shadow Wolf TJC

Usually, it only takes a few seconds to load, but it wasn't loading for me, even after waiting an hour.

Also, I encountered another glitch, where previously-explored parts of the level "un-loaded", leaving me trapped. This happened at the same time that I encountered the above mentioned bug.