Tool SMAPI: Stardew Modding API

Discussion in 'Mods' started by ClxS, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christinathepanda

christinathepanda Void-Bound Voyager

Hi, I'm having an issue where my game crashes either every day at 5pm or when I go to bed. I am playing with the multiplayer mod, but I also have a farm automation mod and an easier fishing .xmb mod installed and I'm not sure what is causing this issue. I used to I tried playing the day without connecting multiplayer, and got the same crash. I also tried launching without SMAPI and the game crashed. Any thoughts on where I can go from here?

Attached Files:

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Hi @christinathepanda. It looks like Makeshift Multiplayer broke your save file, possibly by duplicating one of your animals. If you zip up and send me your save folder, I'll see if I can fix it for you.

• christinathepanda

Thanks so much! I attached both of the multiplayer saves (Gertrude is the host and Elizabeth is the client), in case the same thing was broken in both files. I really appreciate your help! Do you know if this is something that just happens with the multiplayer mod, or is there something that we can do to prevent this in the future? Thank you again for everything!

Attached Files:

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@christinathepanda: I don't see an easy way to fix it, unfortunately. Makeshift Multiplayer seems to have duplicated and/or broken data throughout the save file; I'm not sure how much of that is just the way Makeshift Multiplayer works, and how much is broken. The backup save is also affected, so you can't just go back a day.

You could try asking for support from the Makeshift Multiplayer author on the Nexus page, since they'd know more about how it affects the save file, but they seem to be inactive.

Unless someone else can fix your save, I think your only option may be to delete the save and start over (and back up your saves occasionally just in case). Sorry! :(

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

@christinathepanda & @Pathoschild
            I decided to take a look as well. Pathoschild, I went with your method of fixing, and removed the duplicate animals from both saves.
            If that was the error showing in SMAPI; it should work now. But, I only tested on my singleplayer fix.

Singleplayer Changes:
            First I removed the multiplayer mod data(farmhouse/cellar data) so I could launch the game. Then, I removed the duplicate animals, fixed their home locations(Elizabeth), and removed the boulder blocking the human door to the barn(Gertrude).
            I received no crashes other than the one caused by the home location being wrong.

Multiplayer Changes:
            I left the multiplayer mod data in; so it's untested on my end. But, I also removed the duplicate animals, and fixed their home locations on the Elizabeth save. Then went and removed the boulder for Gertrude.

Multiplayer Synced Changes:
            After all that; I finally noticed that Elizabeth was ahead by a day. Which is likely the cause of the barn being in differing locations, and possibly related to the duplicate cows.
            So, I went ahead, and rolled her back a day. Then removed the duplicate cows, made sure the barn locations were the same, and removed the boulder. So, everything farm animal related should be in sync with the host; Gertrude. But, I left the rest of the multiplayer data alone.

I guess try, 'MultiplayerSynced' first; if not try the others. At the very least, I know the singleplayer fix works fine in singleplayer games. But, not sure about the others; figured I should be thorough with the savefiles. Any further issues hit me up, and I'll try to fix things further.

Attached Files:

Pathoschild likes this.
            • ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

I had to do a full reinstall due to an issue with drivers being put into an Indeterminate State, and updated to Mint 18.1 from 17.3 (clean wipe and reformat/install), and suddenly SMAPI cannot seem to locate the folder it is in when I use 'mono install.exe' and asks me manually where the stardew valley.exe file is. Once I give it the directory, it runs smoothly and without issue, but it was unusual because in 17.3, it could find it automatically..

This is for SMAPI 1.8 for 1.1, I have not opted into the beta. Mono version 4.8.0

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@ShneekeyTheLost On Linux, the SMAPI installer will check these two paths:
                • ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Stardew Valley
                • ~/GOG Games/Stardew Valley/game
                If the game isn't installed to one of those paths, it won't detect the path automatically.

• ShneekeyTheLost

Ahh, for some reason, Steam is no longer in the .local/share folder. It has it's own ~/.steam/Steam/steamapps/common/... folder in Mint 18.1.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@ShneekeyTheLost: I can add that as one of the default paths if it was installed there automatically. The full path to the exe is ~/.steam/Steam/steamapps/common/Stardew Valley/StardewValley.exe, right?

• christinathepanda

@MysticTempest thank you so much for sorting everything out! I will try everything out when Gertrude's player gets home from work tonight, and even if it doesn't work, at least we have separate farms that we can play until the real multiplayer gets released. I really appreciate you taking the time to fix it three different ways, and even removing the boulder from the barn door! (Silly me forgot that you need a steel pickaxe to remove those boulders, moved the barn, and didn't realize the issue until after Robin's shop closed for the night!) I think Elizabeth's game being one day ahead came from me trying to troubleshoot before I posted here. My first step was each of us trying the day separately, but the game still crashed at 5pm/after we were asleep. I then started taking some mods out on my end and trying the day in single player, and it would crash overnight each time (probably something relating to the duplicate animals or them not having a home). Maybe one of the times it crashed after it was able to save the game instead of before, and that's the save that made it into the folder?

@Pathoschild, thanks for trying to sort it out! Even if MysticTempest's fix works, we will definitely be sure to back up our saves every day or two in case this starts happening again.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

SMAPI 1.9-beta.14 is now available for Linux, Mac, and Windows! (See attached.)

Main changes in this release:
                        • The installer now detects missing dependencies on Windows and explains how to fix them (to avoid cryptic errors when you try to run SMAPI).
                        • You can now override mod compatibility checks by editing the StardewModdingAPI.config.json file. (That's not recommended, but it lets you force-load a mod if you're aware of the risks.)
                        See the release notes for all changes in SMAPI 1.9.

Caveats:
                        • This is for Stardew Valley 1.2.15+ beta only; it won't work with earlier versions.
                        • Some mods will still need an update, though SMAPI will automatically fix many of them.
                        This is a release candidate. If you see errors (not counting "Skipped <mod name> because it isn't compatible with the latest version of the game" errors), post your error log! :)

[Edit: download removed; see latest version instead.]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
                          Guigui82 likes this.
                        • Merryberry

Merryberry Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Aaaand something broke again. I tried loading up before I hit this thread, and then after I installed the new version. Same error. |S

Attached Files:

• ShneekeyTheLost

It is lowercase steam

~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Stardew Valley/StardewValley.exe

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@Merryberry: That error typically means the game couldn't load its audio properly due to insufficient resources (especially if you installed a custom music mod). You can usually fix it by closing other resource-intensive programs like browsers before you start the game.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@ShneekeyTheLost Thanks! The installer will check for that path starting with the next build.

ShneekeyTheLost likes this.
                                • syq199688

syq199688 Void-Bound Voyager

I can't install 4.5 neither. I think it is because of my laptop. Thank you very much for helping me. I guess I have to play the game without mods, but it is fine.

• Merryberry

Merryberry Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Huh! Weird.... No music mod, I think the only thing I had open and ready to play was my actual music player... But it seems to be working now, so I guess that's something.

ETA: To avoid a double post. I'm not entirely sure what's broken here, but I still can't plant fruit trees. Locks the game up completely. I tried restoring the old fruit trees xnb file, but this still happens. Help?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
                                    • Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@Merryberry: it looks like you accidentally replaced Content\Data\fruitTrees.xnb instead of Content\TileSheets\fruitTrees.xnb when installing an aesthetic XNB mod. You can fix it by verifying the game integrity in Steam (which will reset all XNB files to default), and then reinstalling any XNB mods.

P.S.: posting a new message is better, since I don't get notified if you edit a message. ;)

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

The current SMAPI 1.9-beta.14 should work fine with today's Stardew Valley 1.2.17 beta release. Let me know if you have any issues.

• fengfeng1992

fengfeng1992 Void-Bound Voyager

Thread Status:
                                        Not open for further replies.