Modding Discussion SMAPI or Storm

Discussion in 'Mods' started by CJoker3221, Mar 15, 2016.

1. CJoker3221

CJoker3221 Pangalactic Porcupine

I feel very torn that two of my most needed mods are separated between these two, one needs SMAPI while the other Storm.. :<
    Not really a discussion..just wanted to vent..

• Ludacryst

Ludacryst Void-Bound Voyager

Well, even though you're not looking to discuss, at least feel relieved that Storm will very likely replace SMAPI soon enough... so you'll only need one eventually. (If I've been reading everything accurately.)

Drogean likes this.
      • Rath

Rath Orbital Explorer

yeah, it will replace SMAPI soon but now it not so I will use SMAPI for all my mods and wait for Storm to replace SMAPI. I wish it replace SMAPI soon

• Venoshock

Venoshock Scruffy Nerf-Herder

don't wish that so fast most SMAPI mods wont work anymore when that happens

• zipy199522

zipy199522 Pangalactic Porcupine

Storm will eventually become the better of the APIs since the original developer of SMAPI is on the development team for Storm. Everything you could do in SMAPI and more will be able to be achieved in Storm allowing for many more, and better mods allowing a slew of game play advances. Besides whatever is being made for SMAPI will most likely be ported over to Storm at one point or another in the future once the functionality is better. For now just stick with SMAPI until Storm is further along.

• TerraXanthis

TerraXanthis Void-Bound Voyager

SMAPI was a temporary solution, and Storm is poised to be the far better option. I personally went ahead and switched to Storm, because SMAPI will be abandoned as soon as people stop making mods that require it. I'd say it's simpler now just to switch now and not have to deal with it later.

Drogean likes this.
              • Venoshock

Venoshock Scruffy Nerf-Herder

as long as that mod dev still wants to work on that mod, and is willing to rework everything from scratch in storm.
                also storm works weird, with the whole "fake" hacking. it's like a wrapper over an actual injector that replaces stuff. (if i read it right, if not sorry for the misinformation.)
                also i don't feel that's fair saying switch to storm when it's still uber unstable. people don't want to ruin their saves for api wars...:nurusad:

• zipy199522

zipy199522 Pangalactic Porcupine

True, it does depend if the modders wish to develop for Storm, but if not, I'm sure someone will along the way will port/remake said mods out of desire/necessity. Also the thing with modding is that you should always back up your saves, I make sure I keep a copy of my unmodded game on hand and I still play on that without mods to keep it clean. It is kind of a tough bind since modding can change saves in many different ways, but that's part of the risks of modding any game. I'm not saying switch over to Storm now or even ever if you wish, but as time goes on you personally will have to chose what works best for you and what mods you want wither that be with SMAPI or Storm.

Do what suits your play style best and ultimately have fun with the game.

• Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

What are these tools capable of doing? SMAPI and Storm? I have followed the news about storm replacing smapi, but I still have to understand what their exact functions are. Other than making mods work, is it like a script extender?

Also all mods need these to work? or is it just the more ellaborated game-changing works?

• OrSpeeder

OrSpeeder Phantasmal Quasar

My favourite mods are for SMAPI, and although I made a mod for Storm, I am finding making the mods I want easier to do in SMAPI...

So for now, I am sticking with SMAPI.

• raenevigil

raenevigil Phantasmal Quasar

I'm torn too but atm, most the mods I use are SMAPI and those that are Storm I can live without for now. Just sort of sitting back and waiting for one to become Stardew's Forge-like base framework as we had with Minecraft.