WIP [SMAPI] BeYourOwnBlacksmith (BYOB) Mod

Discussion in 'Mods' started by navybofus, Apr 4, 2016.

?

Should I change this to a non-cheat mod and have a craft-able anvil for your farm?

Poll closed Apr 5, 2016.
  1. Nope, this is fine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yuppers

15 vote(s)
    57.7%
  3. Yes, and allow material-only tool upgrades too

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. navybofus

navybofus Void-Bound Voyager

[​IMG]
    Clint came by for a visit, we decided to put him to work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Cheat Version
    +-------------------------------------
    | This version is currently a cheat mod to
    | open the geode anvil menu anywhere with a
    | configurable key.

|
    | + Although this is a cheat mod, the 25g
    | per geode still applies.
    | + Default Key: 71 ( G )

[​IMG] Legit GUI-Only Version
    | This is a workaround version that allows

| players to carry out smithing tasks while
    | on their farm.
    |
    | + Config:
    | - Upgrade Hours: Default 2 hours
    | - Stamina Cost: Default 150 stamina
    | + Default Menu Key: 66 ( B )
    [​IMG] Legit Item Version
    | This version is in-progress/on-hold

| depending on my mood. I've met a wall
    | when trying to save my mod items to the
    | farm's tiles.

[​IMG]
    | SMAPI 0.37+ (Req) : Thread
    | Legit GUI Version : Download 0.2b
    | Legit Item Version : Coming Soon
    | Cheat Version : Download 0.1b

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    • SirRuffington

SirRuffington Orbital Explorer

You beautiful man/woman! I just installed and it works fine. I'd been looking for an object for the farm to do Geode opening without having to go to Clint's Blacksmith, but this is the next best thing. Thank you very much.

navybofus likes this.
      • navybofus

That's great!
        Moments after I posted this and the poll I saw that people wanted a non-cheat version. So, I'm currently developing a craftable anvil block and GUI (mostly done minus the crafting recipe). Also started a forge block that the user can upgrade tools for slightly more materials, but no gold cost. The forge will be released as just an upgrade machine, but will eventually have options to craft and upgrade certain weapons and armor with custom recipes. Proggies in the spoiler below.

[​IMG]
        [​IMG]

MoonlitBrenya likes this.
        • SirRuffington

SirRuffington Orbital Explorer

Can't wait for the Anvil / Forge variant. I know a lot of people who have been begging for something like this.

• navybofus

I'm one of them :) I played the game for a few days, but as a programmer, the allure was there to expand upon it immediately. I like the idea of the player being able to do anything that an NPC can do for you, but without the gold cost. The blacksmith and the carpenter come to mind, but I think the player doing carpentry would ruin the game a bit. For now I'll just stick with the blacksmithing stuff and maybe the weapon forging. After that I'll check out the mod requests a bit more to find a new project.

• Alina_Mau

Alina_Mau Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm SUPER excited about this! I've played too much Rune Factory to settle on only using the towns blacksmith :rofl:

I agree with carpentry being a little too game breaking but smithing just feels like a natural addition

it might be kinda neat to even add tool/weapon repairs since you can do that yourself like 1 bar of the same material type would repair the item but I'm sure adding in a feature like that would be a huge pain :rofl:

Great work though :D

• Umeneko

Umeneko Void-Bound Voyager

Glad to see this. I end up hoarding Geodes because i'm too lazy to go to clints.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

May I suggest that breaking open geodes yourself has a small chance of destroying the geode completely, as not being a blacksmith you sometimes hit it a bit to hard and destroy it?

Also, for upgrading your own tools, I'd like if it progressed the time of day a lot and drained a lot of stamina, to make it feel like a actual task
                  May I also recommend that iridium level tools remain "blacksmith only" with the idea that iridium is simply to difficult for a non-blacksmith to forge into the complex shapes required.

I like the idea, but I feel that removing the need for the player to spend money for these things gives them less reason to get money in the first place, so making it slightly less optimal then the blacksmith, if cheaper would be perfect.

RaulMarq likes this.
                  • navybofus

I like just about every part of this and some of it is already in and working. I'll just post the projected feature list of the next release.
                    Upcoming Features:
                    • Craftable Anvil
                    • At the anvil: smash geodes with a 15% chance to receive nothing (Unskilled balance)
                    • Craftable Forge
                    • At the forge: upgrade tools using double the materials (10) that the blacksmith requires. Higher material tiers have an increased fail chance (Copper: 2.5%, Steel: 5%, Gold: 10% and Iridium: 20%) which will destroy half the required materials (5).
                    • While the geode smashing takes no time, the forge will take an increasing amount of time and stamina similar to its fail chance (thanks Entoarox).
                    I hope everyone is excited, because I've got the anvil working with GUI, and the forge working with GUI. Once I get a tool duplication bug under control I'll be ready for release. Hopefully today, but perhaps as long as Friday.

• bugmenever

bugmenever Phantasmal Quasar

I don't agree with the idea of losing resources if upgrading fails. Nobody wants to lose 5 iridium bars. It will only force users to load the save again and again, until success.
                      Maybe, upgrading to the next tier should be allowed after reaching certain level of proficiency with that tool?

• navybofus

How should I address the game balance aspect of the 25,000 then? Most of the code is written, but can always be changed. Also, a reload wouldn't help if I ran the percentage and set a flag on day start. Only to rerun the percentage on fail/success.
                        Perhaps the Iridium tier should only destroy 2 bars vs 5?

Keep the suggestions coming. I'd like this to be a well rounded mod. I get that it's a bit OP, but we can brainstorm on how to make it more balanced.

• ClxS

ClxS Pangalactic Porcupine

Love this idea, I was a little disappointed when I found out that you just have to haul them back to the blacksmith each time.

• navybofus

Yeah that was the original inspiration for the mod, but as I always do, I made it bigger ;) I'm starting to wonder if I should release it as two separate mods and a package of both so players get what they want. The anvil isn't really that OP, just doesn't cost 25g per whack, but the forge, yeah kinda OP until we think of a way to balance the 25k gold for an iridum upgrade. Effectively that's 100k when all tools are done. (Personally I like that because then I can upgrade my farm/house faster)

• Alina_Mau

I would definitely suggest releasing the anvil as its own dealie and the forge as a "higher tier" more realism based mod?

I mean if it was doable I'd just say tie success rates to a skill, like mining could double as a "smithing" skill and the higher your mining skill the less likely you are to fail or get broken geodes, you wouldn't be getting iridium till your level is pretty high and that would remove some of the balance issue

I stil agree with half loss for iridium though, it's a pain to farm regardless :rofl:

RaulMarq and navybofus like this.
                              • navybofus

Since the anvil is done and has been working for a while i think I'll release it as it's own entity. Perhaps I'll release each piece separately and then have a packaged suite available for easier installation.

As for tying the skill in with mining, that's what I was thinking during my lunch break today. Something to allow for better results the higher you are. I think I'll keep the loss as 5 bars across the board for tool upgrades, but tying the mining in you can receive a 10% boost to success chance (1% per level) effectively putting your chances at 90% for iridium and 100% for anything lower at mining level 10.

This is all still brainstorming, but I think I'm solidifying a solution. When I get off work today, I'll release the anvil, but I've gotta get the crafting recipe put in and tested first.

• Alina_Mau

So I just thought of this, and it might be more hassle than it's worth to add, but will there be a hammer added tot he game for any of this? You don't use a pick on an anvil and even clint is holding a hammer. It would be kinda neat if hammer became a holdable item that you right clicked the anvil or the forge to open the GUI with as a sort of "activation" item or something :O

obviously it would just be a minor detail but it would be kinda neat :3

• navybofus

Clint isn't holding the hammer in the altered GUI :) I haven't messed with tool-specific activation and not sure if I will. If I do it'll have to factor in to the success rate I'd imagine. Depends how far this goes.

• navybofus

I hate to double post, but I can't seem to get the item to save properly, so I'm awaiting an answer from another modder. Sorry I couldn't get this out tonight like I promised.

• Alina_Mau

You can do it! it'll be worth the wait, don't worry about it ^^

RaulMarq and Acerbicon like this.
                                        • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Instead of destroying them directly, maybe get "malformed" bars back, that you then need to reforge into properly formed bars again. (It is metal after all, reforging it is nearly always possible)
                                          That way, failing to forge the tool simply costs you the coal required to re-forge the bars, and the time the furnaces will take to do the re-forging.

Edit: And since there is no loss of rare resources, you can even have all bars be "malformed" instead.

Edit 2: While just playing I took a look at clints anvil and got the following "flavour" text:
                                          `Clint's quality anvil. It's made from an iridium alloy.`
                                          This makes me consider that maybe you could add tiered recipes, where you upgrade the anvil to the next tier, and then can make tools up to that tier. (As to tiered recipes, I am thinking about having the previous level of anvil as a ingredient for the next level)
                                          If tiered recipes would be to hard, then maybe a chance for the anvil to break when you are trying to upgrade tools, since you are not using a "iridium alloy" anvil, with the break chance increasing as the tool level does.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
                                            RaulMarq and Acerbicon like this.
                                          Thread Status:
                                          Not open for further replies.