RELEASED [SMAPI 0.40+] Chest Pooling/ GateOpener/ ToolCharging

Discussion in 'Gameplay Mechanics' started by mralbobo, Mar 29, 2016.

1. tandpastatester

tandpastatester Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sounds promising. Thanks for checking this out. I'm hoping this will eventually allow for a pooling tool that combines these convenient features :)

• XxhexerxX

XxhexerxX Phantasmal Quasar

The GateOpener works perfectly, even when on a horse/mount.
      Thank you so much for the mod, no more clicking on gates, yay!

Here, have a (virtual) cookie. :cookie:

Tyrindor and Anderson Yagami like this.
      • The DCG

The DCG Void-Bound Voyager

I just want to the general accolades - this mod is SO useful, I am not sure how I lived without it. My only request would be to second adding a specific "sorter" chest type (as previously mentioned), or an "ignored" chest type. Because, some awesome soul, someday, is going this mod work with cooking, and I don't want to accidentally cook my Legendary Fishies. ^.^

Thanks again for your awesome work.

• tandpastatester

I agree. I just addressed this in the Automation mod thead (link) because combining these two mods already causes this to happen. I can't make multiple 'groups' of automated crafting machines for one product because the pooling system moves all similar products to one chest. It would be nice to disable the pooling mechanic for specific chests or product types. I love both mods for the way they remove some repetitive labour but i'd love to have a bit more control over them.

MayaMayhem likes this.
          • Bunkmaster

Bunkmaster Space Spelunker

The gate opener mod is fantastic! No more horrible clicking to move around my farms. I did notice that the gate open/close sound doesn't play anymore though. Not a big deal, just a nitpick :)

• dem0z

dem0z Star Wrangler

Regarding the gate opener, i noticed it doesn't work for me in the slime hutch is that just me?

• Anderson Yagami

Anderson Yagami Void-Bound Voyager

Nice work !!! theres no sound when opening the gaters? :eek:

• mralbobo

mralbobo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You can build fences in the slime hutch? Huh, suppose I should test that.

Yeah...well aware of that. Went through effectively every property of the gate, and couldn't find anything that would open the gate and play the sound. Eventually decided eh, screw it just setting the frame mostly works. Running theory is that gates don't open themselves, but the click handling sets the frame and plays a sound.

Thinking the laziest way to implement this by far is to require the chest labeling mod, and any chest with name "x" is ignored by the pooling. Either rigidly define a name, or do a config where a list can be provided. (still don't really like the "sorter" chest)
                  Assuming there's no objections to creating said optional dependency?

Went and grabbed one o' them decompilers on a whim. Makes things much easier...

Anyways, sound fixed on gate opener. Fetch from usual place.
                  https://github.com/mralbobo/stardew-gate-opener/releases

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
                    MayaMayhem, ress_1819 and RaulMarq like this.
                  • tandpastatester

I'm fine without a 'sorter' chest, I agree with your view on that idea. Being able to rule out certain chests would be nice though. The chest labeling solution would work fine for me.

• The DCG

Absolutely not an issue. Make it so every chest labeled "STATIC" or "IGNORE," or something, is ignored for sorting, and we'll be happy. Isolating chests seems like it would be easier, do the easier one. Work smarter, not harder! Especially since your work is so excellent.

• tandpastatester

Tagging @OrSpeeder for awareness about this solution involving his mod

• OrSpeeder

OrSpeeder Phantasmal Quasar

I am reading this thread :)

I am not commenting so that people don't think I am some kind of self-promoting asshole... (specially because I setup a patreon for myself and whatnot).

But I am seeing already for example if I can make some special character string to control this mod, that you can edit on the chest label name box, but that doesn't show on the chest hovering tooltip, so you can name it something like "%&25%Ores", hover the mouse, and only see "Ores" written, but this mod would detect the %&25% and dump all ores in that chest.

But SDV has its own special characters, so this is only research for now, if I do that, I need to figure how to not conflict with SDV own special cahracters in the process. (also this is the reason why right now you can't name your chest "Ores #1", the # is one of the game reserved special characters)

• ceja

ceja Void-Bound Voyager

I just love this chest pooling mod. I wanted to see if it would ultimately allow me to have a bigger backpack so I made a chest that I keep in the backpack. When I need to stash I just place it wherever I am and put the items in. They magically go to the right chest on my farm without me even being at my farm. Next, smack it with the pickaxe and chest is back in my backpack for next time. Works like a charm.

• tandpastatester

All good. Just thought i'd notify you just in case it escaped your attention. Thanks for being willing to assist would it help to make it work :) Also, I think both of you deserve some promotion for your great work so far.

• mralbobo

He kind of suggested this on the first page, so it probably wouldn't have been that surprising. ;)
                                Saves me the effort of setting up some way to accept user input, save it, and map it to something useful.

Be interesting to see how that goes, can't really think of a way to pull that off without a lot of configuration, feel free to prove me wrong though. :)
                                (keep editing this to attempt to sound like less of a dick, think I'm fairly close at this point)

In case anyone's curious there's some subtle modifications I have planned that should improve the feel whenever I have some time to burn (probably in reverse order):
                                - caching (the severe loop nesting pains me, but it's a simple way to guarantee accuracy) to reduce the weight
                                - replace (or add to) existing "first chest wins" with a highwater system. So when you have the same item in multiple chests and deposit it either splits between the stacks, or defaults to the one with the smallest stack, or both.
                                - busting a stack puts the new stack in chest where the stack was busted instead of the open chest (surprisingly difficult since I don't get an event until the item was already added to a chest)
                                - that ignore thing mentioned above

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
                                • mralbobo

In the interest in getting it out as quickly as possible, here's an interim build:
                                  https://github.com/mralbobo/stardew-chest-pooling/releases

In this early version if you set a chest name to exactly IGNORED (yes, all caps). That chest will be removed from the pool. Eventually I'll get around to setting up a config where you can assign names to be ignored.
                                  Tested this with smapi 0.39.6, may or may not require an upgrade. Don't think this mod requires it, the label mod might.

• tandpastatester

Awesome work! I just downloaded the early build. I'll play around with it and let you know how it goes!

FYI, I'm running SDV v1.07 with SMAPI v0.39.6.

• tandpastatester

@mralbobo it seems to work the way you explained it. At first I thought it didn't work but that was my own mistake (entered IGNORE instead of IGNORED :/) But with the correct chest label it worked both ways. No contents were moved out of the chest (even though a stack existed elsewhere) and no contents moved inside from other chests either.

I'll keep testing this build for now and see if there aren't any issues coming up later.

If this works out well, I can see this chest labeling method allowing to be developed into some addional features, like:
                                      - assigning a certain chest to pool everything of a specific item category
                                      - separately enabling/disabling pooling for both inwards and outwards directions
                                      - linking a certain chest with a group of crafting stations elsewhere, automatically feeding and emptying it
                                      etc... anyway, thanks for the great work so far!

• madeyemoody

madeyemoody Void-Bound Voyager

Hey. Would this work for chests inside my house also?

• The DCG

Yes, currently this works for chests inside your house, your refrigerator, chests out in your farm, chests in your custom cave, and chests in coop/barn/hutch outbuildings. <--All I can personally account for. I haven't tried, say, throwing a chest in a villager's house, or anything.