RELEASED [SMAPI 0.37+] Automatic Open/Close Animal Doors at specific Time

Discussion in 'Gameplay Mechanics' started by montana123, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Arstotzka

Arstotzka Orbital Explorer

Does this mod currently work?

• Disiesel

Disiesel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

• stunvn

stunvn Void-Bound Voyager

I want to ask a question. Do I really need to close the doors? I always leave the doors. If it's raining, animals won't go outside.

• Tassii

Tassii Cosmic Narwhal

anyway to get this updated to SMAPI 30.2?

• Yunix

Yunix Big Damn Hero

I was always asking that myself... i mean, they cant run away anyway cuz i have fence around and nothing come kill them cuz i have fence around... xD

• Yunix

Yunix Big Damn Hero

• SpringsSong

SpringsSong Cosmic Narwhal

Apparently, goats don't like it if you leave the gate open overnight. At least, that's what I've heard.

• Tassii

Tassii Cosmic Narwhal

oops its SMAPI 39.2

• dooka

dooka Aquatic Astronaut

Have you checked the status or mood of the animals after a storm? I went into the coop and my animals were unhappy because I left the door open. Moreover, if you shut the sliding door while they're still out, I think that makes them upset the next day too.

It's strange that they thought two different people worked on a mod that's completely pointless (or purely aesthetic but why the precise timing), haha. Anyway, the question has already been asked and answered in this thread:

About livestock moods and friendship/relationship status, I was wondering if anyone had more details about how much petting the animals and having their mood be positive actually increases their heart points. For example, what's the difference between "fine" and "happy" moods. Obviously, "happy" is better than just "fine," and they are both better than sad. But, how much points are we losing if the livestock are unhappy for whatever reason.

I heard some people are having terrible luck with uncommon drops from the livestock. They're not getting the rabbit's foot, large goat milk, or even duck feathers. I suspect it has to do with the hearts and moods of the animals.

Also, in the wiki, it says pigs work outside to find truffles each morning. Are truffles only generated in the morning after pigs are left out or could the pigs find them during the daytime? Of course, if they only work overnight, then there are implications to using this mod.

Thanks to montana123 and Disiesel for making and updating this.

• Yunix

Yunix Big Damn Hero

Yeah, the Animals still leave alot of questions somehow.

• stunvn

stunvn Void-Bound Voyager

It's nothing. Heart increasing day by day and they are happy

• dooka

dooka Aquatic Astronaut

Goats don't stay happy if you leave the door open. And, I'm pretty sure my animals were sad after I left the door open during a storm. Are you sure you checked their status/mood after a storm? Sometimes it says the animal is "fine" but other times it is very happy. When you click and it makes the ball of tangled strings instead of the heart icon, and then you check the mood, it is sad or just fine and not happy. What do you think is the reason for this, besides the door, if the fodder bin is full of hay?

In any case, I'm certain the livestock are not always happy. You're basically saying this mod is only for aesthetics which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. (BTW, another author made a different mod included with the Farm Automation WIP which does the exact same thing). Surely, making the mood better increases the hearts faster or increases the chances of good drops, or why would all these people mod the barn door if it made no difference? We just don't know how much is what I was asking.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
                      • Disiesel

I have no clue on how the happiness mechanic works. All I did was updating the addon up to 39.2 standards. Tha I saw someone else made another version of this, with more options too. For the next big SMAPI release if the other version gets updated I'll be dropping mine. I only updated this myself because I use it myself too purely for the convenience of it. Happiness still grows fast enough that losing a day doesn't matter (unless you're min/maxing)

• dooka

dooka Aquatic Astronaut

Understood, and thanks for the update even if you don't plan on continuing them. Regardless, if closing the door at night only makes it convenient to pet the animals the next morning inside the building, then it was worth it. Or, if it prevents me from forgetting to let them out during the day to save hay.

The issue isn't only the occasional rainy or stormy day; this person thinks the door doesn't matter at all (even for goats), and if that's true, then of course it's even more convenient to simply leave the door always open. I believe this has to slow happiness gain rate over time. It'd be fairly easy to test this, but I don't want to run through a bunch of days taking notes of the variables since I'm still on my first couple of playthroughs.
                          I'm going to assume the wiki isn't leading me astray about happiness, and the people who are leaving the door always open and telling me about "back luck" (ie. RNG) with certain livestock item drops could improve their chances or lower their wait time by messing with the door.

• Disiesel

Well the one that oranisagu made has a lot more options and is also cleaner code so I think long term it would be better to keep that one working.

• thudme22

thudme22 Space Hobo

sorry to ask..
                              how can i find the config file?
                              the 1.1.1 version works prefect for me

thanks and really love this mod!

• Yunix

Yunix Big Damn Hero

If you have added the Mod, just load your Game one time and close it again. After that a config.json should appear in the Mod's Folder.

• thudme22

thudme22 Space Hobo

! thank you vech much! i find it!

• Skydruid

Skydruid Aquatic Astronaut

So problem with this mod is that it doesn't work with the most recent version of SMAPI, 39.6 It needs its own manifest.json and I'm not sure how to set one up so it gets recognized by that whole procedure. Great mod, but not working if you just leave it in the mods folder or try and put it anywhere else. Not sure if putting it in %appdata%'s mod folder would help or not, but it needs to get updated so it works with the latest version of SMAPI

• Tyrindor

Tyrindor Space Kumquat

A dozen or so post above yours an update was posted.