1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Slime Race Mod (Outdated) discontinued

No longer being maintained. Please check Hieru's version.

1. XelSlime

XelSlime Scruffy Nerf-Herder

XelSlime updated Slime Race Mod with a new update entry:

new compost bin, lamp position against left wall fixed

Read the rest of this update entry...

2. XelSlime

@Lindazana - Happy to hear you're having fun... and I see you're using the same color I am, ha.

...I want more slimes to play with...

Shame things are the way they are. I'm playing with a couple other people already though. If I were to play with someone else, I'd have to back up my player n' universe folders and make a collection per friend group, which........ well it's not too too much work I suppose, but it's annoying.
    I'd have more equipment colors, but nobody really asked, and... the better idea of course would be if someone could figure out how to make hooks and tendrils match the color of their user, but even the guy responsible for making "Slime Glow" and "Adaptable Slime Sphere" match one's body color can't figure it out. Maybe someone else can take a stab at it?

I suppose if you'd like, link me the palette you're using (if you can sort it out), and I'll prepare a new tendril and hook in your color. As for the whips, what exists is all there has ever been. I might be able to get some assistance to make the basic slime whip match a user's body color though, if I keep it in mind. Since it doesn't consist of simply a projectile like the tendrils and hook, it might be less trouble.

@DukeScrewface - That alone isn't enough information to go by, I'm afraid. There's always the possibility of something else being the problem, and I myself am not having such issues, despite the fact you and I are using the exact same mod. It'd be best to link to a copy of your starbound.log file so we can all get a better idea of what's going on. Maybe copy and paste the contents to pastebin.com?

3. Lindazana

Lindazana Cosmic Narwhal

@XelSlime
    Actually haven't really played much of the game... What I've been planning to do it get the game modded to a ridiculous degree, let the mods scene steady out some and get more stable, then try and get a RP server going with myself and potentially up to 5 other people, though chances are 3 of them won't care for it. ...Unfortunately (yet also fortunately?) modding hasn't slowed the slightest bit, with significant updates to universe-altering mods coming out very quickly, making us hesitant to actually begin the server.
    As for the tendrils, while your offer is super flattering and appreciated, there's no need to go through all that. Turns out the electric tendrils match the "hair" of my character just about perfectly, so that works out fine!
    The only real request would be an additional alternate recipe for the goo glob that doesn't need rot, even if it's from valuable materials, as I've got spoiling disabled so you're able to actually hold more than 5 plants worth of produce at a time, rather than 15 single-item-stacks of a fruit from millisecond-difference rot times.

4. NixeaKip

NixeaKip Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How would one go about making the soft pink fleshy color transparent and more wet looking? I'm talking about the one that resembles Princess Bubblegum's skin color (who serves as inspiration of the character I want to make).

5. XelSlime

@Lindazana - Good luck getting the group together. As for tendrils, it's really not all that much work, but very well. Let me know if you change your mind.

@NixeaKip - Well if you're startin' off fresh, you could temporarily edit the palettes in slimeperson.species so the one you want to use has its last two hex digits of a lower value. Think of 1-255 (AKA 00 to FF) as 1% to 100%. Maybe use a calculator if you need to, and adjust to how opaque you want it to be. After that, of course, save, make your character, and afterwards perhaps overwrite the .species file back to normal.

Palettes stick, even if the palette you're using is no longer in place. I did the same thing with the arachne race to make one look like a drider.

6. XelSlime

7. NixeaKip

How would I actually find the one I want to edit? There's a lot of colors and not all of them are self explanatory, also I should clarify, I have no modding experience whatsoever and I'm just trying to grasp the basics so I can make this change for myself.

Ok, I believe I've found it "Frackin-Universe-Alien-Juice". So now the problem is knowing exactly what to adjust, as there's a ton of hex codes within this color alone.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  8. XelSlime

If you're going with the solid-footed style, go with the set of hex codes that has a few with 00 at the end. That's making parts of the sprite invisible. As for everything else... well the first code (which consists of only six digits) is the color that's targeted in the spritesheet. The second (eight digits) is what the color is replaced with. The last two digits of those eight-digit codes is the alpha value, AKA opacity.

Any idea of how opaque/transparent you want your character's body to be? Also, which foot style are you using?

9. NixeaKip

About as transparent as the set of pinks/magentas, or rather, as transparent as the ones you've made transparent yourself. Also, I use solid feet for the sake of wearing outfits.

10. XelSlime

...I've gotta work on my response time...

I went with 75% opacity in cases where I wasn't trying to match a liquid's base value, which was basically having the last two digits of the eight-digit hex codes as "bf" (191, because 255 x 0.75 = 191.25), so... I guess you'd be changing things from

//Color92-Form2-Frackin-Universe-Alien-Juice
    { "c0deba" : "fef6f9e3", "80bc72" : "fef2f7e3", "478844" : "fef0f6e3", "416638" : "e9b5cbe3", "174217" : "bf8da2e3",
    "7d39ae" : "fef0f600" , "602c85" : "e9b5cb00" , "38194e" : "bf8da200",
    "ff8000" : "fef0f6e3" , "cc6500" : "e9b5cbe3" , "9a4c00" : "bf8da2e3",
    "0080ff" : "fef0f6e3" , "0065cc" : "e9b5cbe3" , "004c9a" : "bf8da2e3" }

to

//Color92-Form2-Frackin-Universe-Alien-Juice
    { "c0deba" : "fef6f9bf", "80bc72" : "fef2f7bf", "478844" : "fef0f6bf", "416638" : "e9b5cbbf", "174217" : "bf8da2bf",
    "7d39ae" : "fef0f600" , "602c85" : "e9b5cb00" , "38194e" : "bf8da200",
    "ff8000" : "fef0f6bf" , "cc6500" : "e9b5cbbf" , "9a4c00" : "bf8da2bf",
    "0080ff" : "fef0f6bf" , "0065cc" : "e9b5cbbf" , "004c9a" : "bf8da2bf" }

Lindazana and NixeaKip like this.
  11. NixeaKip

Oh no way, that's absolutely perfect as I'm actually studying so I don't have much time to be checking responses constantly, nor I had time to actually sit and try this myself so thank you a ton. Hopefully I've learned a thing or two if I want to tweak something in the future.

12. XelSlime

13. DukeScrewface

DukeScrewface Phantasmal Quasar

Cool. I Tried a slime character it was fun. But my server still throwing that error.

Attached Files:

14. Hieru.chan

Hieru.chan Void-Bound Voyager

Server wont start at all? As far as I know that file is currently not in use.

15. DukeScrewface

DukeScrewface Phantasmal Quasar

Nah, it seems to work great, mostly. If it created any problem I could definitely trace back to it, I'd remove the mod. There are some problems that MIGHT be from the mod i guess. But when your the guy running the server you check the log and try to root out errors to head off future problems. And when your the guy writing a mod you're supposed to stop your mod from throwing errors.

What do you mean files not in use? If you're referring to a key that doesn't exist, and the file you're looking for the key in isn't even in use, can't you just remove the reference? Or add a dummy key into the file since its not used anyway.

16. Hieru.chan

I'm not the one uploading mod and i'm not writing dialogs either but I've looked into the file and I think I know what's causing the error. The file itself is just a work in progress dialog line file for npcs. At the moment they mostly use fenerox dialog codes, so it's just an extra file in the batch until it's fixed and implemented, I didn't realize that dedicated servers check all the files; in the normal game I'm not getting errors at all, thank you for that info.

There are other ways of getting Goo. If we'll make more stuff that requires rotten food I'll think of a way to get it without food rot as well.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  17. XelSlime

18. Mailboxhead

Mailboxhead Master Astronaut

For colonies, are there slime tenants that look more like the player sprite? I can only ever get the green slime npc's with the blobby heads:
    20170117110901_1 - Copy.jpg

19. Mooncalf99

Mooncalf99 Spaceman Spiff

Is there some way to make Slime Blobs? (The crafting material, not the block.) They're needed in practically every recipe, but I haven't yet found a biome to get any from, so... would be cool if you could make them out of slime blocks or similar.

20. Hieru.chan

Try placing a fridge, scanner or one of the consoles. Most of these slime items aren't linked to this type of tenants, there will be 2 kinds of slime tenants and these items will mostly be linked to them.

Buy some shoats from terramart there's a 50-50% chance to get either blob or glob versions of that.
    Edit: or craft them. Slime tenants have a chance of giving you a shoat or blobs as well.