1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Sleeping?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Marokutai, May 27, 2012.

?

Sleeping?

1. Yes please!

58.8%
  2. Not fit for this game -_-

11.8%
  3. It would be nice but....

11.8%
  4. It should be like Terraria for each planet you can set a spawn bed.

17.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marokutai

Marokutai Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is not a suggestion.
    I'm just curious about any ones thoughts about whether it should be in the game or not and how it would work and if you are for it or against it.

2. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

Personally, I think the spawn bed is really a stupid idea. I think rather beds should accelerate time and regenerate your health quickly or something around those lines.

pitfall, Attack_Fish, Solum and 2 others like this.
  3. Marokutai

Also, I would like to add, if there would be any sort of events that could happen during sleeping, which could add even more complexity to the game that could be in a small or large way, like waking up you could have a chance of getting a good buff such as increased speed for a few minutes or a bad buff such as slower attack speed, or something along the lines of that.

I personally like the bed spawns but i also like your idea too :D

4. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

Well with games that have an "old feel" like Minecraft it works as a spawner, but Starbound is alot more futuristic so I don't think it would do well as the "spawn point". I think accelerating time would be much better or go the skyrim rout with the "you feel rested" or something.

Dementia likes this.
  5. mrc

mrc Void-Bound Voyager

i think bed using in space travels . because a travels are too long.

addon:

[​IMG]

xboy777 likes this.
  6. Scottish Pig

Scottish Pig Subatomic Cosmonaut

Would be nice to use to skip time during like MRC said during space travels maybe and you always don't NEED to sleep if your traveling so you can walk around and do stuff in your ship while you are traveling. I don't think being able to set your spawn on a bed would be good either.

Dementia likes this.
  7. Marokutai

It would also be cool if like that gif mrc posted you're character sleeps in a certain position they would get as ghostar said a "rested" buff or not.
    It will be interesting how it all works out, I can't wait! ^_^

8. Baradrim

Baradrim Big Damn Hero

Yeah, skip time!

9. Solum

Solum Cosmic Narwhal

I think there should be a Sleep function. The Nights in Terraria felt horribly long sometimes...

10. Marokutai

I agree indefinitely.
    I wouldn't mind whether it was going into a hibernation chamber or just a simple bed, either way it makes it better for those who are more interested in "safer" exploring.

11. Aniukha

Aniukha Void-Bound Voyager

Personally, i think a sleeping mechanic should be in Starbound. As some way to pass the night (like Minecraft). Also with a possibility of leaving your character in a bed, sleeping, for RP servers or if AFK while playing MP or Co-Op just to let others know you're on an extended period of "afk-ness". The animations are quite neat also, so it'd be a nice addition to the game whether it's functional or not. The more the merrier.

However, I don't think that sleeping should be a way of setting your "spawn point" like in Terraria. It was good for Terraria because there was no Sci-fi tech. Perhaps in Starbound you have to use the space stations "cloning facility" at first and then are later able to create your own cloning facility down on a planet to respawn wherever you want.

12. Grayecastle

Grayecastle Big Damn Hero

Nobody said it was going to get more dangerous at night guys. It isn't terraria or minecraft. I'm thinking there may be nocturnal and diurnal creatures but there will be dangerous creatures around and about at all times, at least, I hope so. The day night thing is so overdone.

13. Aniukha

Aniukha Void-Bound Voyager

It's not the dangers that I'd be sleeping through. It's the night itself. I prefer to build during the day. (Can see better) :D

xboy777 and Dementia like this.
  14. Jääkäri

Jääkäri Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, it would be nice that you could sleep and it might pass the time maybe... 8 hours of in-game time? And as Ghostar said, the buffs would be great! :)

Aramadon likes this.
  15. Alvin Flummox

Alvin Flummox Existential Complex

It would also be particularly useful if there are quests that require you to come back at a certain time of day/night so I definitely hope that there's some way of skipping time.

xboy777 and ThrehserMaw like this.
  16. A way to regen health through sleeping would be pretty sweet. A time frame skip wouldn't hurt either.~

17. xboy777

xboy777 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Looking at the gif below, I think that there will be a sleeping animation that plays after selecting a planet to travel to. I don't think that it's going to be a one-click instant transition from space station to planet potentially light years away so there's probably going to be some sequence or animation. Maybe your bed is next to a window on the ship so you can see the stars going by really fast, giving the impression of space travel.

[​IMG]

I also think and hope that the beds switches night to day because many players usually took shelter at night in Terarria and during that period there was not much to do unless you had a tunnel to a cave system ready. I imagine some planets not being dangerous at night and maybe even some where it's safer depending on the creatures inhabiting the planet and their sleep schedules.

Also, bio-luminescent planets anyone? Now we just need tall blue cat aliens and we're perfect.

Dementia likes this.
  18. Marokutai

I seriously would love to have a planet like pandora it would be the most amazing thing ever.

xboy777 likes this.
  19. Marokutai

I also see what you're saying, but i have a feeling <could be wrong> that there won't be cut scenes in this; i could be wrong.

20. xboy777

xboy777 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well that's how I pictured space travel in game. I feel it would be more immersive instead of just clicking a planet and popping up on it within a split-second.

But I don't know how it would work for multiplayer so I could be wrong, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.