1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Skip Cutscenes

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Corraidhín, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Howdy! I hope the day is fine for you! and thanks for taking a moment to read this post!

I have been playing a bit of the 1.0 build, and I know the Story intro is Skippable. However I was doing that mission for that other thing where X npc gives you a long-winded background on X subject (just keeping it spoiler friendly, ye know), and realized you cannot skip that whole conversation. I think it should be an option, for those of us who have no interest on the story, but have to do a few things to progress and unlock game things, no offence meant to the writer(s).

mrpras, Zlyvr and NOAHDADDY like this.
  2. Kilowolf

Kilowolf Big Damn Hero

I'm going to say please to this one. I like to skip cutscenes after play a game through the first time and just get annoyed when being forced to sit through something I have already seen

3. karlowaty

karlowaty Scruffy Nerf-Herder

there is a mod for this. dont wait for them to fix it

4. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Well, of course there is a mod for it. But do you honestly think its the right thing for a developer to do? let the community do something their game -should- have available from start? this is no longer an early access where errors and slips are the norm of the day no, this is the 1.0 release many have been waiting for, and therefore one should expect the ability to skip through cutscenes to be readily available for those who:

A-played the nightly, finished the story and have no more interest on it, but have to play it anyway for unlocks

B-Have no interest on the rpg aspects and want to focus on sandbox, but have to play the story for unlocks.

karcea, mrpras and NOAHDADDY like this.
  5. NOAHDADDY

NOAHDADDY Void-Bound Voyager

I agree...its like I have 500+ hours of useless time invested in this game and now I have to start from scratch.....with nothing. Sure I know it was early access and now its not but it seems like the people who have been playing this game for a long time (the exact people who made 1.0 possible should be noted here...) should have the option to continue where they left off ( sounds crazy and impossible...I know ) if the want or do story mode to see knew story. Some kind of skip could have been added.....unless there is and I overlooked it.....please anyone tell me. Still really like the game and I am definitely not hating on dev's or game......just a thought.....Thanks again for awesome game.

6. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

Why, seriously?
    I've spent 505 hours playing pre-release and i accept the necessary wipe, because that's the way ea's are.

You paid for ea, and with that you accepted possible character wipes.

You should be thankful that they let us play their game before it's release, instead you're demanding something. I don't think that you understood the concept of EA at all.

CaptainTaz and Corraidhín like this.
  7. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Think of a early build of a game as a separate game, the difference in features, formats, and assets (even small differences) can be more than enought to require a clean slate, every big updated required one BECAUSE there must have been a change or addition that your past character could have been unable to experience entirely. So its not a matter of "we want you to start over for no reason", its more of a "you HAVE to start over, so you can experience what we are offering", and that is something we all should expect not just from this game, but ANY Early Access.

However... cutscenes should be skippable...

Another Kevin likes this.
  8. karlowaty

totally agree

Another Kevin likes this.
  9. Jaxfirebus

Jaxfirebus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Mind telling me where the mod is? Seriously, if you have managed to find it, please give a link.

10. karlowaty

11. Le Evon

Le Evon Void-Bound Voyager

Playing Starbound a second time, and the cut scenes...oh god its long...I support this.

Zlyvr likes this.
  12. NOAHDADDY

NOAHDADDY Void-Bound Voyager

I Think maybe you did not understand my comment. I totally understand early access,especially since I was on it for so long. If you notice at the end of my comment I stated that It was just a thought......which translates to I'm not really serious,I'm just expressing that it would be cool to someday be able to keep worlds minus or plus changed content without losing your actual core game play. More importantly than this, I thought that since I stated that I understood all that has been commented back at me......that maybe someone one out there would understand. I do apologize for being bad at getting my point across and all around bad writer who lacks communication skills. Thank you and have a good day...

Even after writing this comment above, I feel some will still not understand what I am saying.I really like Early Access and support it all the way. I have quite a few Ea games and will continue to support early access games in the future. Some people will always be lecturers ,while others learners .(random out there statement) Starbound is, has been, and will be one of my all time favorite games . Thanks devs for a wonderful game.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2016
  13. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Please use the edit function when making additions to your post.

Regards
    Iris Blanche

14. Cell Materia

Cell Materia Cosmic Narwhal

I think it'd be good to make cutscenes skippable after you've done them once. not once per character but after playing through the game once for the first time

15. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

I agree. Cutscenes should be skippable after at least one viewing. There's no need to have them unskippable after the first time.

16. harmic

harmic Void-Bound Voyager

There Is 1 Way. To Minimize The Program And Do Something Else. Its reasonable