1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Singleplayer lag spikes

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Kazmahu, May 10, 2017.

1. Kazmahu

Kazmahu Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My game is constantly produces short stutters with input delay, exactly like a latency problem, except I'm only in singleplayer. I imagine this has something to do with the fact the game uses a local server for singleplayer to enable the easy quick-start MP session, and I'm fine with that, but it there any way for me to have a smooth experience when playing by myself?

I'm 99% sure this isn't a resources issue. I'm running windows 8.1 64-bit, fully updated, with 16GB RAM and an AMD FX-8350 processor, 8-core at ~4GHz. The GPU is an AMD Radeon R9 200-series with about 4GB VRAM (N.B. this video card has a known graphical flicker issue I had to solve by disabling vsync in the config files, though the lag spikes happen with or without this change) and I don't run many other programs while playing - certainly not enough to have the system anywhere close to its limits while everything else is idle, according to task manager.

I was a pre-order backer and love the game to death, but every time I start playing again this issue progressively decays my enjoyment of the experience (it does to combat exactly what you think lag spikes would) and across several years and two systems I haven't been able to find a fix for the issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jellyman

Jellyman Phantasmal Quasar

Well... i dont know how to help you.
    But i can give you a tip: download Notepad++ (its free!), then turn off (remove true and write false) vsync that is in starbound.config
    I tried it, because my game was also lagging, and i think it should help you if your game lags.

3. Kazmahu

Already done. As I said in the post, I had to do that to remove a graphical glitch already. And it's not frame lag, the game is rendering at a smooth 60FPS. It's input/computational lag followed by everything "snapping" to catch up, just like if an online game lags for a second. Except it's happening in singleplayer.

4. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

So input delay linked to vsync? Try enabling triple buffering in your video card settings.

~ Iris ~

5. Kazmahu

This has nothing at all to do with vsync. Forget I said anything about it. The same behavior is exhibited no matter whether I have it on or off, I only have it off to deal with a completely unrelated graphical issue. The input delay happens infrequently when the client isn't receiving updates from the server for a fraction of a second, goes predictive, and then catches up, much like a lag spike. Except this is happening in single player, with the "server" on the same machine, with no network communication involved.

6. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

On what drive type is starbound installed? ssd? hdd? If hdd how much rpm? Any AV software that scans starbound files upon file read/write access? I had some singleplayer issues too before i moved starbound to my ssd. Also if hdd: try defragment it.

~ Iris ~