Modding Discussion Should starboard's devs introduce steam workshop?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Magotrap, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
?

Would you want steam workshop for mods on starbound?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. Magotrap

Magotrap Intergalactic Tourist

The steam workshop could be good for modding because it allows an easy way to download mods.

What do you think?

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

First the game code needs to be stable before workshop can be implemented. Otherwise every update mods will break - causing a lot of mods to just be outdated like it is now. It is best left after 1.0 where changes are less likely to break mods.

Jonesy and bk3k like this.
  3. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

If Steam Workshop is allowed, it will be even more annoying for mod authors to deal with people who use the review section as their "bug report" section.

bk3k likes this.
  4. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

They've already stated that they plan on Steam workshop (and Steam multiplayer, like Terraria now has) integration. It's a ways off though

I can't really cite a source, but I ain't a rumor spreader type.

5. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

As much as I like Steam workshop in some games, honestly no I don't prefer it for Starbound. As has been mentioned, Starbound isn't complete and mods will get broken. I don't believe Steam Workshop is setup to consider the version of the game itself and therefore if certain mods won't work. So you'll have lots of frustration.

I mean we get that here, but these forums are FAR better setup to deal with support for mod issues. We have our discussion tabs, detailed updates, the ability to report a mod as outdated(which reminds me I have a mod to update). Pretty well any aspect of Steam forums are a hot mess on a cold day. If we wanted a mixed bag of half-broken mods with no real support, we already have Nexus.

The one thing I like about the workshop - and yet don't like - is that you can update the mods, and the people who installed the mods through the workshop automatically download the newest version. That simplifies support somewhat. The downside is... what if they preferred the old version?

The ease of use is another positive/negative thing. You can just run through clicking to add mods in the workshop. The process for Starbound is enough that you should at the very least remember/be aware of what mods you are using. It isn't a click and forget sort of thing. Everyone who has installed the mods would know exactly where to go to deal with the mods as necessary.

mastercookie likes this.
  6. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

I am against any further steam integration, so no, I don't want the workshop. Plus, as mentioned, people will just use the review section as a bug report forum, and we cant get those removed like we can here.

7. endertrot

endertrot Cosmic Narwhal

After 1.0, workshop integration would be awesome, especially if they did it like Space Engineers' workshop integration for mods.

8. Magotrap

Magotrap Intergalactic Tourist

Well... i was just asking lol. I was jus really frustrated that most of the awesome mods are outdated.

9. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Steam workshop would only make this issue worse because they won'r have an "outdated" section. People will install old mods and complain about them not working. Mod authors are not going to be around to update their mods forever.

Dunto likes this.
  10. ShizeMation

ShizeMation Void-Bound Voyager

Once 1.0 is out, why not? Starbound's current modding system should work perfectly with steam workshop, I think.