1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I start playing yet?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by 222bkane, Aug 9, 2015.

1. 222bkane

222bkane Title Not Found

What's up guys? So, i've been waiting for this game, and following all the news for a looooong time now. I'm very excited to play it, but have stood my ground, attempting to wait for the final release. Since I first heard about this game, way before there was even supposed to be a beta release\, it has been on my most anticipated games lists. Usually im not against playing early access games, or beta releases, but i've always felt like this game was gonna be so good, it'd be worth waiting for it to be complete. So, I was just looking for some opinions on how far this game has progressed, and if I should finally just give in and play it, or wait until everything is completely done, which at this point, who knows when that will be.

Is it done for the most part? What is left to add? SHOULD I PLAY YET?!?!

Cthulhu01 likes this.
  2. Biirdy Daysleeper

Biirdy Daysleeper Weight of the Sky

You can at least learn the basic mechanics of Gameplay. ;)

The Pleased Giraffe version will principally add colonies system so you should wait at least for them; because your constructions will be a bit empty without intelligent NPCs. In the future version there will be combat improvement, new persistent vehicles and finally a complete story (and so, probably unique cities). Actually all the quests are in the outpost and can be boring sometimes, but the futures quest will be in outpost AND cities. The actual story is not very complete, the last boss is hard but it's not a real enemy in a scenaristic point of view so if you absolutely want to fight a real bad guy you should wait for the official release.

I hope it help you. ^^

xan713 and kisspower12 like this.
  3. kisspower12

kisspower12 Phantasmal Quasar

Birdy puts up some wonderful points there!

Id also like to add that if you decode to purchase it, you will also gain access to nightly where you can mess around with the new features they are working on. As you can see on the home page.

There are still a lot of things that are going to be added, improved, e.t.c. So the wait may send you out to the hospital, but thats my own opinion ^_^'

I would suggest buying it anyway. 15 bucks vs the higher price when it comes out seems like a deal not to pass up! You'll help the developers out and give them some motivation(bribery :p) But, do what ya wanna do!!

Biirdy Daysleeper and 222bkane like this.
  4. 222bkane

222bkane Title Not Found

Thanks guys, and i already preordered/donated a long time ago, as soon as the preorders were allowed. From what it sounds like though, maybe I will just hold out a bit longer. I just can't wait to play!

5. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

It's ultimately up to you, but I think it would be most optimal to at least wait for the next update, which should be in a couple weeks.

Tamorr and Biirdy Daysleeper like this.
  6. Jalombi

Jalombi Industrial Terraformer

As a new player only playing Stable version my opinion is:

If you are interested mainly in exploration and building, the game is already super fun, and well worth it.

If you're more interested in the progression and missions, that is the part that feels least done to me, and I would wait on it if that were my main interest.

7. Cthulhu01

Cthulhu01 Void-Bound Voyager

I would suggest waiting for the actual release of Starbound. So far it's an okay beta, but I think you might end up a bit disappointed. If you wait for final release there won't be any bugs, and there will be plenty to do. As of right now you'll get burnt out very quickly doing the same thing over and over and might not want to come back.

Wait until there is something to do in the game. You'll thank me.

8. Slippery Slime

Slippery Slime Big Damn Hero

I find it to be a bit repetitive at times as well, the quests don't put you into a sense of adventure as much as they can just annoy you. It's not fun scouring planet after planet looking for one object, it ruins the feel!

9. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

It really does depend on what you want to do more with your time and how soon you wanna do it.

Me, I'm a builder, so I've been quite happy for a long time. With the changes coming to the next stable concerning story and tech progression, I'm likely gonna start a second character to play through "normal style", then bum-rush my main through the redone progression path afterwards. (It'll be interesting to see how these changes affect already-existing characters.)

But as we have a new stable coming pretty soon, even if your main goal is building, it's probably best to wait a bit. You could give it a start and learn the basics, sure, then go full-tilt once the update hits.

10. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

I wouldn't start playing yet. It's pretty bad right now.

Pingeh likes this.
  11. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

The game is NOT bad right now, it is just a work in progress.

Mods definitely improve the stable experience quite a bit. But I would say wait for the next big patch. It should be Soon™.
    Nightly build is pretty great right now, aside from some oddities (background ores appearing in mid-air, the third inventory slot not counting anything as a crafting ingredient, etc.).

12. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

Don't feed it.
    Trolls are glutton.

Definitely yes! :up:

Mackinz likes this.
  13. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

It's been a work in progress for almost two years now, there's reasonable delays and then there's this.

14. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

And what this is isn't a "delay" at all, really. For an ambitious-scope game that's making its own engine? Yeah, two years is hardly unreasonable.

15. duicklefish

duicklefish Great Scott!

It's pretty unreasonable given the timeframe Kickstarter backers were given. If they'd said off the bat "It'll take 3-5 years," that'd be fine, but that's not what happened.

Pingeh likes this.
  16. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

If you are using the term "kickstarter" to describe what happened when Starbound was first announced, you can hardly act like an authority on what they did wrong.

lazarus78 likes this.
  17. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

On second thought, you might want to start playing now before things go even further down hill. Pretty sure they'll soon delete ER UM I MEAN combine the crafting workstations with the matter manipulator. That way your god tool can craft stuff for you too.

18. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

The saddest part is that given what I've seen so far, I'm not sure if that's simply a joke or a possible outcome down the road.

Pingeh likes this.
  19. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

I'm probably in the minority for this opinion, but I wouldn't mind an end game super expensive recipe to do this. It could cost absurd amounts of materials or very rare materials.
    But the interface for crafting would need an overhaul first, I'd go with it looking like that furniture mod that I can never remember the name of.

20. c2h5oc2h5

c2h5oc2h5 Phantasmal Quasar

Well guys, you are definitively positively biased towards SB, and that's cool. But arguing over someones else feelings and imposing your feeling onto somebody is not OK. Personally, I was super excited about Starbound... several years ago. I started following SB maybe a year or a year and a half before opportunity to preorder showed up. I then played a beta, spent good amount of time on it. While promising, it was lacking. I took a long break, then tried to play again, but it still wasn't "that". I decided to return when 1.0 is ready, but it takes damn lots of time. Years are passing, but SB is still not there. It's great for you that you are still enthusiastic, but let's face it - people can get disappointed and just move on. And I find certain aggresion towards ones who voice their concerns ;).

That being said, I got playstarbound on my RSS and read dev updates every day. Times of excitement are, unfortunately, long behind me, but I still wait for official release and after all, my hopes are high that SB will turn out great and satisfying game that will consume long hours while I'll be playing in utter joy ;).

Regarding OP question - I sense your story can be similar to mine, and personally I think you should wait until official release. Playing now is a risk - maybe it will be OK, but maybe it'll be a disappointment. Better give game a chance to show it's full potential. Even if we have to wait until Christmas, whether this or next year :p.

It's only nomenclature. It really don't matter if you call it kickstarter - it was a bit kickstarter-ish, and everyone who was there will know what person who wrote "SB kickstarter" meant. Even if it obviously wasn't kickstarter, technically.

222bkane, Cthulhu01 and Pingeh like this.