1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I get Starbound?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Samu_San, Dec 21, 2016.

?

Should I get it?

1. Yes!!

12 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Once more Updates have come!

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Samu_San

Samu_San Void-Bound Voyager

I just got Stardew Valley and I am loving it but when I get bored should I get starbound. I have watched reviews and they said it is a mix between terraria and no man's sky. I have over 250 hours on terraria and I might really enjoy it.

2. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Well, if you're going to ask on the Starbound forums...

Long story short, make sure your computer has good processing capability before you buy it, since Starbound uses your CPU for everything, rather than offloading graphics to your GPU. If you don't have a sufficiently strong CPU, your game will laaaaag, making it difficult to nigh impossible to play.

Samu_San likes this.
  3. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

It depends on what you expect to find in Starbound.

Don't expect to find a game with a lot of the "little things" games typically let you do. Starbound is a game of stuff. Instead of being a game where you can do a lot of things, it's a game where you can collect a lot of stuff.

Low mechanics, high amounts of stuff

Now, this might be a little confusing so let give some examples:

Stuff examples: Tons of costumes and cosmetics, weapons that do the same thing but look different, etc.

mechanics: You can't rename pets, choose your ship pet, easily arrange inventory, alphabetically sort crafting menus, etc.

If you're a fan of "stuff," buy Starbound. If mechanics are your thing, don't buy Starbound.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Samu_San likes this.
  4. Bounded

Bounded Void-Bound Voyager

I would say yes if you enjoyed SV and Terraria. If you're still not sure, maybe look at some videos to see what the gameplay is like.

Samu_San likes this.
  5. Charlatan

Charlatan Parsec Taste Tester

Hah, I'll allow myself to be blunt just for once.....
    Yes Starbound could be called a mix between Terraria and No Man's Sky.

Except in the first comparison, Starbound is not exaggeratedly outdated intentionally, and in the second case, Starbound doesn't suck.

I for my part liked Terraria, but I eventually found the sounds and music unbearable. Pretty much the opposite for Starbound.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Samu_San likes this.
  6. Iroaseta

Iroaseta Guest

It depends on what you prefer, Starbound is pretty much for :-
    1) Atmospheric role-playing if you're into it, please don't go into another illusive dimension and stuck there permanently though
    2) Building, lots of building
    3) Having a time to actually relax and release your stress, the OST helps a lot, and the scenes Starbound provide can be soothing for most of the time depends on what you like
    4) Exploration, you know, Starbound is pretty
    5) More building, yes, more building
    6) Do whatever you want in your universe, play God even if you want to, or just be a farmer, or be a zookeeper, anything you can imagine
    7) Liking the idea of mod supports, and maybe even creating one yourself to add the spice on top of the vanilla ice cream
    8) Yes, time for more building, they are never enough once you get the hang of it
    9) Chilling with your friends, if you have them. Play music instruments together, clear mission together instead of being competitive, build a settlement together, you know, something that people can work together instead of slaughtering each other.
    10) Megaman kind of missions perhaps, the story is quite typical, but the dungeons and bosses are decent
    11) Have I mentioned this is more of a sandbox game so that your imagination is your own limitation on maximizing the fun out of this genre? There is a storyline but it is just as persuasive as a side mission.
    12) Finding more and more and more materials to beautify your building

So get Starbound if you're looking for these! Otherwise it isn't really like Terraria where you focus more on slaying bosses to get materials to upgrade your stuffs to slay more bosses and get more materials to upgrade more stuffs like some of the typical MMORPG out there.

Samu_San and Charlatan like this.
  7. Samu_San

THANK YOU for the replies, I will consider it and by the way my favourite part about games are cosmetics things and Terraria does have a awful OST but I got a wave bank download to fix that. I also like building in games. Last thing what is the average hours on a character or game until you get bored or how many hours do you have just curious. I might buy Starbound for Christmas maybe I don't know. Lastly is it easy for others to join?

I love Cats....

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  8. Iroaseta

Iroaseta Guest

That really depends, as mentioned, your imagination is your own limitation. If you can spend a lot of time playing sands or Lego while you're small without getting bored with the same tools and materials, chances are it'll be the same in Starbound as well.
    I think Steam sales is coming in a day or two, so that's like the best opportunity to get it now heh.
    And yes, it's very easy to join if you guys are in Steam platforms. Otherwise you might need some 3rd party applications like Tunggle, Evolve or Hamachi to connect your circle easily if you don't want to mess with your modem's settings.

Samu_San likes this.
  9. Samu_San

I GOT STARBOUND

Thorin and Pangaea like this.